“Best thing I did in Scotland”

The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Ranked #3 of 195 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Free Day Tour of the Scottish Highlands. We believe everyone should be able to discover the real Scotland, that’s why we pioneered the only Free tour of this beautiful wilderness; through the eyes of a passionate and knowledgeable, local tour guide. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests; maintaining a professional but relaxed approach, and ensuring every tour is entertaining, informative and utterly unique.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Los Angeles
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best thing I did in Scotland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I took the tour with Donald and it was honestly one of the best tours I've ever been on. He's so friendly, knowledgeable, and genuine and the tour was really imbued with his character. I took a Rabbies tour a couple days later on Donald's recommendation (because he used to work for them) but I only did it because the other Hairy Coo tour was fully booked. The Rabbies tour paled in comparison and I was actually very dissatisfied. I probably would have enjoyed it if the Hairy Coo tour weren't so great. Thanks for ruining my Rabbies experience, Donald ;)

Visited July 2014
TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hello Victor C,

It genuinely is good to hear that you enjoyed your Hairy Coo tour so much. We work very hard to fulfill our promise to bring Scotland to life and it is very encouraging to know that we continue to offer a great experience for our guests. Thank you for posting your review, we appreciate it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Better than the big tour companies.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

There are less people on this tour so it takes less time getting everyone on an off. I'm a bit impatient so the bigger busses tend to annoy me. The guide was lovely and took time to speak to everyone in turn. Her stories were funny, personal and interesting. She spoke about history but not in the usual scripted way that other tours do. The route itself was really good and that's coming from a local. You get to take in a lot of really beautiful scenery en route and they give you plenty of time to enjoy each location. They keep some props on the bus so you can dress up for your photos. I have a great one of me in a highland coo hat with a highland coo. There are also flags and fake swords. All that was fun but riding a rental bike around Loch Katrine was the highlight of the day for me. I am definitely going back this summer. I never would have discovered it without this tour. By the end of the day you'll want to give them money because it's THAT good.

1 Thank annmariecowe
Hello annemariecowe,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a charming review of your Hairy Coo tour. you have described what we aim to do wonderfully well and we really do appreciate your custom and support.

Honolulu, HI
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Book it now!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

I love how you pay them based on what you have or what you think the tour is worth. I never felt pressured to give more. This company really caters to its customers. Donald was a great tour guide who has a lot of knowledge about the history of Scotland. The bus itself is a bit cramped, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do this tour! The tour is from 845am-630pm depending on the traffic. Even though it seems long, it didn't feel like it because we made many stops at places like the lake, one of the lochs, a view point of the stirling castle, Wallace monument, a field with hairy coos, a scenic point of the forestry, the castle where Monty Python took place, and more! For lunch we went into this small town where they had different options like burgers, pies, fish and chips, etc. I would highly recommend booking this tour.

2 Thank Michelle Q
Hello Michelle Q,

It is really good to hear that you enjoyed your Hairy Coo tour so much. You have neatly summed up what we try to do and we sincerely appreciate your custom, generosity and recommedation.

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Highly recommended tour if you're ever in Edinburgh!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our guide for the day was Donald, the founder. He was really enthusiastic throughout and never stopped telling us interesting things about Edinburgh and Scottish history. The accent may be hard to decipher sometimes but it's so cute I don't actually mind haha. The bus ride was really comfortable as well, with sufficient stops here and there to visit the attractions. Most of all, I really loved seeing a real-life hairy coo, and I was lucky enough to even see baby coos!! I'm still amazed that this is a free tour, which makes me appreciate it so much more. Thanks for the great time Donald!

Visited June 2014
Hello Jtan92,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your Hairy Coo tour. As ever, the coos really are the highlight of the day. Your support and generosity are sincerely appreciated.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Best Ever Tour! A Must See!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

This tour exceeded expectations was Fantastic! I am so glad we booked the Hairy Coo tour. What makes this tour is Donald and his outstanding Historical knowledge of Scottish history, and his enchanting story telling as we went to each site. The stops were perfectly timed, with enough time to explore each site. Just a Magic trip! With out a doubt in your mind- Book this tour! The hairy coo up close encounter was super duper too! Thanks Donald, Daisy and Jane review.

1 Thank DaisyC25
Hello DaisyC25,

It is really good to hear from you again. Thank you for posting such a charming and positive review of your tour, we really do appreciate your custom and support.