“Enjoy - great experience!”

The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Ranked #3 of 195 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Free Day Tour of the Scottish Highlands. We believe everyone should be able to discover the real Scotland, that’s why we pioneered the only Free tour of this beautiful wilderness; through the eyes of a passionate and knowledgeable, local tour guide. We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests; maintaining a professional but relaxed approach, and ensuring every tour is entertaining, informative and utterly unique.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Aiken, South Carolina
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Enjoy - great experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We are quite used to private tours and typically would spend the money on such but being our first trip to Scotland and very limited time we only booked one private tour and this Free Scottish Highland Tour. It was educational, informative and fully enjoyed by my husband and me. It was a nice way to cover a lot of ground in one day. The country side was particularly beautiful this past week with the fall colors. Enjoyed the opportunity to choose the place we wanted to have lunch and didn't have to eat with a group of people. Enough time to take pictures and learn about each site. Well worth it and travelled with a younger to middle age group of travelers on this tour. Other tours seemed to be a fairly older crowd.

Visited October 2013
TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hello patcal4,

It is really good to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your Hairy Coo tour so much. Thank you for posting such a descriptive review, we appreciate your support.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing, amazing, amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Truly ideal if you don't have much time to spend in Scotland. Even if you do have time. It was super fun. Monty Python castle, William Wallace monument and of course the Hairy Coos were my favorite, but I loved every second of it.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Tania M
Hello Tania M,

Thank you for posting such a short yet sweet review of your Hairy Coo tour, we really do appreciate it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

We did two tours with The Hairy Coo. I read lots of reviews beforehand and thought they sounded fun. We did the free tour and the Loch Ness tour. Russell was our guide on both tours. (poor fella) Russell talked throughout much of the tour about the history of Scotland and the sites we were about to see. He also answered lots of questions and seemed to know all the answers. I have to say, I felt like he should have handed out college degrees when we disembarked. I learned so much. He was also funny and entertaining. This did make the time go quicker while on the bus. I do agree with another that I would have liked more time at the Wallace Monument. But this is just my opinion. I'm sure others thought we should have skipped it altogether. There was NO pressure to tip on the "free" tour. In fact, he didn't even look to see how much you gave. My favorite stop would have to be the battle/massacre of Glencoe. It was gorgeous spot but you could just "feel" the history there. I would recommend this tour. Nice to get out of the city for a day.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank sharon s
Hello sharon s,

Russell will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experiences with The Hairy Coo so much. thank you for posting such a charming and positive review, your recommendation is sincerely appreciated.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“One of the best tours i've been on”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I saw this tour on tripadvisor and was honestly skeptical. It's a free tour afterall there has to be a catch. Was there going to be a time share presentation or something? I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was not only a legitimate tour, but one of the best tours I've been on... anywhere! Our tour guide and co-owner of the company Donald was great. He seemed to genuinely love what he does and was very knowledgeable and funny. I was so impressed with the tour that I signed up for a second tour (Lochness Tour) the very next day. This tour, while not free like the “Free Scottish Highlands Tour”, was just as awesome as the free tour. If you're visiting Edinburgh do yourself a favor and check out the Hairy Coo. You'll thank me later.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank mr_agonzales
Hello mr_agonzales,

It is really good to hear from you again and thank you for posting your review and letting us know that you enjoyed your tours so much. Your custom and support are sincerely appreciated by us.

Best wishes,

Marion, Ohio
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great Tour, Great Concept”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was our first "tips only" tour. What a fabulous concept! The tour was thoroughly entertaining and informative. The van could have been more comfortable, but the company of fellow passengers was delightful. We liked seeing the highlands. It was easy to locate the meeting point for the beginning of the tour. I highly recommend this tour company!

Visited May 2013
TheDonEdinburgh, Owner at The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Hello Marilyn W,

Thank you for posting such a charming and succinct review of your Hairy Coo tour. We sincerely appreciate your custom, support and recommendation.