“Good location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #95 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Very good location. Easy to find. Room clean and tidy. Bathroom ok, no bath. Room far too warm. No air con. Lift STILL not working as mentioned in many other reviews. Stairs up to rooms VERY hard work and we are reasonably young and fit. No where to leave your luggage. Reception staff helpful and friendly. Price usually okay but they had bumped it up for the fringe so not value for money at price we paid. BE WARNED it is very very noisy outside and you will be wakened very early, we were woken up at 6am by outside business noise. A bin truck we think?? Okay when windows closed but not good in hot weather when you need to open the windows.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Crook, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Did what it said on the tin - rooms clean and serviced daily.
Central to city and in the hub of foodie/drinking area of Edinburgh.
NO PARKING - near hotel and ended up paying quite a bit for road parking.
The stairwell was not air conditioned and was like a raging inferno - this did not help as the lift was broken so 3 flights up to room was hard work. The corridors were hotter than the stairwell - it was torturous. The room wasn't much better.
Great - if you don't mind noise throughout the night and want to be in a central location. Wouldn't recommend bringing children.

Room Tip: It's a VERY VERY noisy hotel. Back or front - it's noisy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with friends for one night on the 27th July, the hotel charged £115 per room per night.

I'll start by saying the hotel has a perfect location, It's In the middle of Rose Street (literally a two minute walk from Princess Street) It's so close to everything - the main shops & shopping centres, Princess Street Gardens, Harvey Nichols, Edinburgh Dungeon, everything! there are pubs, bars and cafe's on the same street and a vending machine at the fromt door BUT the hotel Itself Is average and although It's a basic travel lodge, I did expect a little more considering the £115 cost per room per night. I was lucky enough to get a large room on the 4th floor (the top floor) and our room was very big and spacious with a good view, but It was far too hot and stuffy, luckily we were given a fan, the corridors and stairwells were worse, they were extremely hot and they didn't smell very nice, I imagine this was because of the heat. our friends were given a room on the first floor and they had a much smaller room with a brick wall view, so If you can, get a room on the top floor!

this hotel was fine for one night or a short weekend only, but If I was staying any longer I'd go elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I came here this week with my boyfriend as we were going shopping and having a day out and then the following day I had a passport interview to attend the next day so we decided to stay the night somewhere cheap and central. We chose to stay in the Rose street travelodge purely because it was the most convenient we could find. When we arrived the lady at the desk was pleasant enough and explained that the lift was out of order; for anyone with suitcases this would cause difficulty. However we ony had bags so this was alright. However staying three floors up was a bit of a nuisance. When we got into the stair area the heat hit us. It was far too hot inside the building, and this made the trek up the stairs unbearable. When we got into the room everything was tidy and neat. The room itself was a fairly reasonable size. The room was a good temperature compared to the corridors outside. The bathroom was fairly small with a very basic shower. The toilet didn't flush very well. I needed a drink during the night so I had to go to the bathroom tap and get a drink using the cups provided. Even after running the tap for a good few minutes only warm water was coming out, this wasn't such a pleasant experience. Had an okay nights sleep. Bed was quite hard and room was too hot even with windows open. However this could be due to the weather at this time of year. In the morning I went for a shower and was shocked to find that the shower provided no warm water but only water that completely scalded my body. I tired moving the dial every way possible but nothing seemed to work. My boyfriend also found he had he same problem and resulted in using a cup of cold water to rinse himself rather than burning himself any further. Tv in the room was good, had a kettle and plenty on coffee, milk, teabags etc. In conclusion I found this hotel to be a fairly large waste of £63. We stayed in a far better hotel previously this week for £54 and couldn't fault one thing about it. I would never advise anyone to go to this hotel unless it was a last resort and I would advise that if anyone was going not to take big luggage as the lift is apparently always out of use.

• Stayed July 2013
Winchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

On the plus side the staff were very friendly and the location was great for getting to the train station and town. However the temperature of the building was far hotter than outside and the outside window in my room was fixed open about 2 inches so it wasn't possible to open it any further. Also the bathroom had a foul stale smell which remained for the stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Arrived and had to wait over 5 mins for someone to man reception. Took my payment for the room and had to go away and wait another 10 mins for an invoice, I couldn't wait any longer rang the bell for attention and asked if she could pop it under my door, yes of course was the reply. Well it is 11am next day and I'm still waiting, something I will need to get on my way out, which will be another 10 min wait no doubt!!!
Hotel is blistering hot and I asked for a fan and I'm still waiting, really poor customer service.
Had the worst nights sleep on record, the window is jammed open and could not get it shut and from 6am had a company/pub I'm guessing at the back of the property disposing of the empty bottles from the night before. Constant all morning. Very noisy.
The lift is out of service and could just manage my case, rucksack and handbag up the stairs, as other reviews say need to be fit to stay here and sounds like they have no scope to fix it any time soon.
The room is very very very basic but clean enough. You can't get into the toilet unless you go in and close the door to get to the other side.
All in all they say you get what you pay for but to put things into perspective a colleague of mine got a room in The George Hotel for £75 last night compared to my £70 for here, I know where I'm going next time.
Travelodge sort yourself out!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Evievi123139
Aarhus, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Travellodge is cheap. The room had an excellent size, comfortable bed and fine bathroom.
The reason why for not giving a full score:
1. Poor breakfast box
2. No place to leave luggage before check in.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple