TripAdvisor
Edinburgh
Post
Inbox
Search

“Fabulous food and fantastic service!”
Review of Grazing

Grazing
Reserve a Table
Thu, 11/21
8:00 PM
Ranked #120 of 3,046 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Description: 'Grazing by Mark Greenaway' at the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh offers the opportunity to relax, unwind and of course, eat, at a leisurely pace within a space accessible to all. The menu, which reflects the laidback 'grazing' concept, showcases a mix of traditional, modern and sharing plates, incorporating locally sourced ingredients and unique concept dishes created by Mark. Star dishes include Mark's BBQ shiitake mushrooms on toast, a playful cured meat and choux pastry picnic box, and fluffy buttermilk pancakes inspired by Mark’s visit to Japan in 2018. It also showcases British sharing dishes, such as hearty shepherd's pie and roast chicken, as well as Mark's popular signature dishes; 11-hour slow roast pork belly, and indulgent sticky toffee soufflé as demonstrated by him on Channel 4's Sunday Brunch.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We initially tried to get a reservation at the Pompadour as staying in the Waldorf hotel but unfortunately found it was fully booked for the next 2 nights so reluctantly went for Grazing. We are so happy we did as we had one of (or maybe even the best) meal for a very long time and we eat at great places all over the world. My wife had an amazing looking ravioli that she said was divine and I had a rib-eye steak cooked to perfection and I’m very fussy with my aged red meat. Sorry no photos but we were hungry. The staff couldn’t have been more attentive and were so friendly and engaged all the way through. We have just booked to go back in 2 days as it was so good and I highly recommend. The deserts were off the hook too. Enjoy. Also must call out the exceptional service of Geraldo (the Spanish manager) as he ensured everything went like clockwork and made it a perfect evening.

6  Thank paulrZ6246OO
WAFandB, Manager at Grazing, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear paulrZ6246OO,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an amazing review. The grazing team, Gerardo and I are very happy that you had such a wonderful evening and that you appreciated our service as well. I am pleased to hear that the ravioli and the rib-eye steak were to your liking, I have made sure to share this with our kitchen team.

I do hope we can welcome you again in the future, to try more of our lovely dinner or lunch menu.

Best Wishes, Ross

Write a reviewReviews (151)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Myself and two friends went here to celebrate my birthday. We were greeted on arrival by the host who wished me a happy birthday, a lovely touch. Each of our meals were delicious, the steaks we ordered were cooked to perfection. At the end of the meal I was presented with a plate with some chocolates and a chocolate happy birthday. The staff were all friendly and attentive throughout.

Date of visit: September 2019
5  Thank Feets81

Dear Feets81,

Thank you for your lovely review, we are delighted you enjoyed your birthday meal with us. We always like to make occasions a little extra special and are delighted you enjoyed your birthday chocolates!

We hope you will join us again for another occasion soon and from the whole team at Grazing Happy Birthday once again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I am so disappointed with our visit to restaurant. We really wanted something special for out last night in Edinburgh.

Service was attentive to begin with but as the meal went on it took a nose dive.

Food was mediocre for the price. I do not mind paying for good food but this was the worst value for money we have experienced.

Starters were meh. I went for 2 snacks 'not prawn cracker' and 'tarte celeriac betroot' at £2.50 each for barely a mouthful and minimal flavor. Husband went for Cullen skink. Which was definitely more style over substance.

Main we shared a chateaubriand with 4 sides. The beef was flavoursome but served cold. Ugly potatoes were nice as were the peas with cream & bacon. Potato mousse with lamb fat was poor. The mousse was literally no more than a mouthful for one person. We expected the lamb fat to be rendered down. But it was literally rawish lamb fat blobs on top. The Kentucky fried cauliflower lacked taste and seasoning. Was very bland.

Desserts were 50/50 the sticky toffee pudding was superb. But the chocolate doughnut was poor. The actual doughnut was stale.

Service at this stage was non existent. Took about 30 mins for them to take our dessert order. No one asked if we wanted coffees or even the bill?!?
We had to get up and pay on our way out the door

When asked how things were we advised food was ok. Service was poor. Only comment was 'oh I am sorry' and proceeded to take the full amount. Failing to mention that a 10% service charge was included. Asked if we wanted a copy of the receipt we said yes. Provided a card receipt but not an itemized bill.
Wasn't until we tallied bill up on way home that we realized the service charge was obviously added. If we had of known we would not have included this as the service was non existent.

4  Thank DeeKee89

Dear DeeKee89,

On behalf of the whole Grazing team I apologise for your experience with us. This certainly did not live up to the standards we set for ourselves and are sorry we fell below your expectations.

I would like to discuss this matter with you further so we may improve our experiences for our guests please email sebastien.weber@waldorfastoria.com if you would like to discuss this, I would be happy to hear from you.

Apologies once again and I hope we will hear from you soon.

Sebastien Weber

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A lovely meal here - pork belly, lamb and two outstandingly delicious sticky toffee soufflés which were ridiculously light and decadent all in one.

It’s probably a little unfair to compare it to mark’s previous restaurant in Edinburgh - it’s not as pricy and so some of the touches that visitors might remember are gone. And if you have no reference point to that, I’d say you’d be pushed to really critique this place. Plus there are still little quirks like the duck skin butter and beautiful chocolates with your coffee. Easily accommodated a gluten free requirement and there’s an enthusiastic friendly team too, which always makes a difference.

Anyway, did I mention the soufflé??? Just go, have that and enjoy it. Especially the slightly crunchy topping where the toffee has hit the edges. Yum yum yum.

5  Thank Danmacl

Dear Danmacl,

The Grazing team and I would like to thank you for your wonderful review (especially of the ever popular soufflé!)

Grazing is certainly a different style of dining to Mark's previous restaurants offering a new dining experience focusing on a relaxed atmosphere with shared dishes. We still retain many of Mark signatures including our decadent desserts and we are pleased you noticed the little touches reminiscent of his previous restaurants.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team here at Grazing we always aim to offer the best service and are delighted that we were able to impress.

I do hope you will join us again soon to try more of our lovely menu or even just another sticky toffee pudding soufflé!

Reviewed October 11, 2019

Had booked well in advance for my wife's birthday and so we were looking forward to our evening. The initial appetisers were taste bud tingling and truly whetted the appetite, the main courses were very generous, fresh ingredients, the hake with cannelloni was a work of art (Willy Wonka would have been proud) and tasted superb with a beautifully balanced bisque. Unfortunately the sticky toffee souffle had proved too popular that evening so I went for Mark's twist on a treacle tart which was fantastic. The meal was superb value given the standard of food, the restaurant was relaxing with an informal atmosphere and the staff were excellent. We look forward to our next visit! Fantastic evening and thanks to all the staff.

My only suggestion for improvement actually related to our arrival at the restaurant, it may be different entering from the main hotel but arriving from Rutland Street I felt we were impeding the staff making their way to/from the kitchen whilst our details were being taken and we had to wait a couple of minutes to be seated, just felt slightly uncomfortable.

5  Thank CDD70
WAFandB, Manager at Grazing, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2019

Dear CDD70,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely and in depth review, we are delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and that both food and staff impressed.

Mark is known for his indulgent desserts so we are glad that our modern treacle tart was a hit!

Thank you for your suggestion regarding arrival to restaurant, this is certainly something we will discuss and work to improve.

We do hope you will join us again soon and then you may try the ever popular sticky toffee pudding souffle!

Happy Birthday to your wife once again from the whole team at Grazing.