“Wonderful dinner”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Informal French bistro, great steaks and seafood but also froglegs, snails, boudin noir, canard roti...During August last food order is 00.30 am (sunday to thursday) and 1.30am Friday and saturday. Bon appetit
Reviewed May 27, 2018

Visited with friends and family excellent French restaurant, noisy busy vibrant place. Food was great will definitely go again when I am in Edinburgh

Date of visit: May 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed May 22, 2018

We were attracted to this bistro by the prices! Well-priced, well-cooked French food. We enjoyed both the mussels and steak frites. Lovely relaxed atmosphere. We would go again if we ever go back to Edinburgh.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed May 22, 2018 via mobile

This was my third time dining at this restaurant. The first two experiences I had were faultless. Sadly, a bitter taste was left on my most recent visit. Whilst the food was delicious, the service brought the whole experience down. To the point of not wanting to return. The server was abrupt and displayed very little care in her approach that can barely be considered as customer service. Whilst I appreciate we do not all have good days, in the service industry it is never acceptable to be rude nor is it abruptly challenge a paying customer in simple request for clean cutlery.

Sadly this has left a bitter taste through no fault of the food, but the service.

1  Thank 134stuartd
Reviewed May 21, 2018

Excellent, well-priced traditional French bistro food & wine. Nice staff. Lively atmosphere. Eclectic French music. We live within walking distance, not sure why we haven't been before but we'll definitely be back.

Date of visit: May 2018
chezjules92, Owner at Chez Jules, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2018

Our 1000 review could not make us any happier! Ca plane pour nous aussi! Merci

Reviewed May 20, 2018

Chez Jules is a well established cosy French bistro and is clearly popular in a busy spot just off George Street in the city's New Town, so I thought I would book it to celebrate my birthday with friends.

We were seated in the far corner at the left of the restaurant with a selection of fresh bread in a basket presented on the table along with salad and other compliments while we decided what to order.

We ordered a variety of drinks and once again, I was disappointed to see how expensive their bottled beers are which is common in Edinburgh and represents a hefty mark-up that's simply unnecessary and smacks of greed.

Nevertheless, our starters arrived and I chose to try frog's legs, which came with a toasted baguette and plenty of garlic which I enjoyed. Others ordered snails and other dishes, although some were enjoyed more than others.

I chose the pan fried 6oz rib eye steak in a Roquefort sauce, which was perfectly cooked and delicious and everyone else enjoyed what they ordered.

As others have noted on here, it is noisy but that didn't detract from our experience and I think it's to be expected. The service was quick, friendly and efficient from start to finish.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to return to be honest in the evening, although I think I would enjoy it more during the day when it's less frenetic.

Date of visit: April 2018