“Cosy and quaint, exactly what we had in mind!”

Edinburgh Larder Cafe
Ranked #162 of 2,479 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Scottish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Breakfast: start your day with our award winning breakfast including a range of healthy options such as our own homemade granola (both gluten and dairy free), porridge cooked to order with a selection of toppings, croissants and pastries. Or set yourself up with something more hearty including scrambled eggs with salmon, bacon or sausage, our delicious full breakfast and lots of other tasty treats. Accompany the excellent eating with artisan coffee roasted in Edinburgh, or teas blended here in Scotland by Edinburgh based Eteaket.Throughout the day: if you're after something sweet, our delicious cakes are made on site by our staff who all love to bake. Our gluten free dark chocolate and nut brownies are regularly hailed as the best in town - as are our delicious light scones served with clotted cream and homemade jam. Lunch: eat in or take away daily specials such as homemade soups, frittatas, quiches and organic pork & herb sausage rolls together with our menu of seasonal Scottish deli plates, salads, sandwiches made with artisan Scottish cheeses, Highland salamis, Arran smoked fish, and Lanarkshire cooked meats. Wash all this down with one of our local craft beers or a selection of fine local drinks and soak up the atmosphere!
“Cosy and quaint, exactly what we had in mind!”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Lovely staff and food, perfect little brunch to set us up for a day of shopping :) would recommend to anyone!

• Visited April 2013
edinburghlarder, Public Relations Manager at Edinburgh Larder Cafe, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi!

I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Cafe! Thank you so much for your recommendation and review. We hope you come back for brunch again soon!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings ... Nothing too exciting and I found a hair in my jam”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Giving this place 3/5 is me being generous!

Upon recommendation I decided to visit this place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. At first glance the Larder looked welcoming and friendly; I was thankfully not disappointed. My friend suggested I try their scones, which are supposed to be delicious and 'the best in town' (his words not mine). Again, I was not disappointed in flavour and texture. However (and this might be a big 'however') I ordered the scone with strawberry jam and butter. I received Raspberry jam instead but I did not mind too much. What I did mind was the long brown strand of hair I found in my jam ... I brought this to the attention of the waitress and she apologised and gave me a fresh portion.

I am sure this was a one off as I have heard so many good things about this place. However, my experience was not exactly what you would call 'exceptional' and there are so many other amazing places I would choose to visit over the Larder in Edinburgh. By all means, visit this place, give it a chance, but if you find another hair in your food then all the staff should learn / re-learn more about Food Standards Agency policies!

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear that your experience at the cafe did not meet your expectations. We really appreciate your feedback. I have discussed your experience to the staff, and we are making the necessary precautions to ensure that there will be no more incidents with hair.

The staff have been working on their baking as well, and I hope if you do return you will enjoy our scones.

Again, thank you so much for your review. It helps us to improve our business and make it the best we can.

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cosy little cafe”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

A cosy little cafe tucked slightly off the Royal Mile, I spent an afternoon here reading over lunch. Wonderful soups and sandwiches, especially their leek and potato soup. Came here while on holiday, at the recommendation of a friend. Was not disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
edinburghlarder, Public Relations Manager at Edinburgh Larder Cafe, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your time at the cafe, and enjoyed your soup! We always love to make them.

Hope you had a great rest of your holiday, and hope to see you again when you next return!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderfully delicious, clean and wholesome breakfast.”
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

A group of us had breakfast here on a Saturday morning and loved it! The restaurant has a clean 'organic' feel to it and I loved the deli-style counter, large chalkboards and the display of what looked like delicious freshly baked bread. I loved the menu and how fresh and clean all the food looked and when it arrived we were not disappointed. I ordered the salmon and scrambled eggs on toast which was the best I've ever had - I'm not a big bread lover and had intended to just leave it but when I saw how fresh and light it looked (I'm guessing it was homemade?) I finished the lot! One of our party had a side order of toast which was served with a homemade jam (rhubarb and ginger I think?) and my boyfriend declared it the best jam he'd ever tried, if we hadn't been flying home with only handluggage we would have loved to have bought a jar back to London with us!

If you want warm, friendly service and great wholesome home cooked food using good quality fresh ingredients then eat at Edinburgh Larder! We will definitely be returning on our next trip to the city :)

Hello there!

Thank you so much for such a lovely review! I'm really glad you enjoyed your experience.

We get our breads from Au Gourmand and Breadshare. They are great producers and we think you can really taste the difference! We also recently made some Rhubarb and 'Blooming Marvellous' Eteaket Tea Jam. So it may be that you tried. We make our jams so its a great compliment! :)

Thanks again for your review! Looking forward to having you back at the Larder.

London, United Kingdom
“Very good - recommend”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had lovely home-made soups and sandwiches. There was a great range of teas and interesting sandwiches to choose from. Staff very friendly and good customer service.

• Visited March 2013
edinburghlarder, Public Relations Manager at Edinburgh Larder Cafe, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hi Cheryl!

Thank you so much for such a kind review, I'll pass the message over to the staff!
I'm glad you enjoyed our soup and sandwiches, we have such a great time making them. I hope to see you soon.