“Wonderful food, but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Falko

Falko
Ranked #15 of 35 Bakeries in Edinburgh
Cuisines: German, Cafe, European
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Edinburgh
“Wonderful food, but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Lovely setting and beautiful food, though don't expect to be full up with the quiche.
Coffee good and served with a glass of water without the need to ask, so they know how to do things right. Only weird comment is that that cakes are served with the plastic sheet, which is slightly clumsy and takes way from the amazing experience!

• Visited February 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A Pleasant Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited Falko this first Sunday in December because I had encountered them at the Edinburgh Farmer's Market a few weeks ago. At the market, I purchased a braided raisin brioche and I was delightfully surprised by the quality of the sweet bread. After seeing the cakes at their market stall, I resolved to one day visit their cafe.

My fiance and I were lucky enough to get a table right away. He got the pork apple sauce sandwich and I got the red pepper & goat cheese quiche. Despite the bread being impeccably fresh, he wasn't too impressed with the fillings of the sandwich. According to him, the pork should have been seasoned. My quiche, on the other hand, was great. I enjoyed every bite and would definitely recommend it. My only qualm is that the quiche was rather small for the £6 price tag.

The selection of cakes made dessert a must.
- Hot chocolate: it was quite simply how every hot chocolate should be. The taste made it very evident that they use real chocolate and from where we were sitting, we could see that it was topped with fresh cream from a piping bag. The hot chocolate was amazing and I definitely suggest getting one on your next visit.
- Raspberry cake: With a soft sponge cake, layers of smooth raspberry cream, and peppered with fresh raspberries, this slice was a delight. This cake was delicious and I'm looking forward to trying the other varieties. I only wish they had a shop closer to the north-east end of Edinburgh!

• Visited December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Impressed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I've been in and I am pretty impressed with the cakes probably among the best I have ever tried my friend loved the cakes too!

Scotland, United Kingdom
“We went in for some bread.........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

and stayed for lunch.
It was 13:00 on a Saturday, so we had a short wait since it was fu'
I had the venison & dunkelebeer stew with dumplings and Mrs eLaReF had the pancakes, whose real name I have forgotten, with ham & melted cheese.
Food was enjoyable & the service attentive.
We took the bread home, but it didn't last long. My son & family arrived that evening & it, including the pretzels, vanished

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank eLaReF
Bristol
“What a place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

After reading some of the reviews of this place (namely regarding poor service) we were a little apprehensive about visiting this cafe. These fears were soon dispelled as we were greeted by a very friendly waiter and some menus. The cakes were absolutely delicious, quite unlike and far superior to anything you would get in more popular chain cafes. The tea was served loose with a strainer and was of a very high quality also. They even sell packets of these teas which you can take away with you. We also tried some of the savoury food, a cheese and pickle sandwich and a cheese pastry. Again we could not find a fault with these. They sell loaves of German-style bread which was understandably very popular because lots of people came in to the cafe specifically to purchase multiple loaves at a time. This bread was of a very high quality, as my German partner would testify! The prices were good, not dirt cheap but certainly very good value considering the extremely high quality of product and service available. A visit here is highly recommended.

Visited October 2012