“Good food - slow service”
Review of The Sheep Heid Inn

The Sheep Heid Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sheep Heid Inn
Ranked #181 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good food - slow service”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The food here was good and worth a visit after a hard walk up Arthur's Seat. Visited late afternoon on a Saturday and got a table (had booked online for a slightly later time). The staff were very friendly but service was very slow and one drinks order was lost at the bar - was given as complimentary when they realised - and they seemed a bit run off their feet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This place has two review pages and so I am adding this review here also so it doesn't get missed!
We went for a family meal for my father's 70th birthday at the weekend, we booked at 2pm so after the lunch hour rush. Where do I start, on the positive side the pub is lovely and decorated in the noughties craze of olive/grey woodwork and shabby chic style. They have a skittle alley which is a quirk and provides great entertainment for the kids. On the negatives, sadly there were a lot: there seemed to be a lot of staff but they are in need of some more training as a great number of them seemed to be standing round scratching their arses. The waitress brought drinks (which took an age to arrive) she gave us our drinks and refills but did not take any empties away (also our menus lay on the table all through our meal) we had to clear our own table and put glasses on the empty table next to us (they lay there for some time). The guy who was waiting on us told us that our food would be a while, he did look extremely harassed and I thought he might burst out crying at one point. After an hour or so our starters arrived. They were not too bad, it was the mains that were the real problem. A couple of our party ordered steaks with varied combinations of sauces, and degrees of cooking. The 'well done' steak was tough, like shoe leather. My husband's medium steak was more like rare and without the peppercorn sauce advertised on the menu, and my mother's porterhouse came with a little pot of nothing where the gravy sauce should have been. To me, the biggest offence was that all the dishes were luke warm. The biggest disgrace of the day however was the red mullet; it looked and tasted like it was made of rubber. My sister returned it and it was taken off our bill though she went hungry. We could hear neighbouring tables grumbling about the whole dining experience. In all, I felt that the staff appeared harassed and lacking in basic waiting skills, the kitchen clearly did not have the capacity to service the tables it had open, the menu offered too many dishes (always a warning sign), the chefs could not deliver food to a good standard, and the cost of the dishes did not add up to good value at lunchtime. All in all it was a bit of a mess and we were left with the impression that bums on seats and getting the cash out of the punter is more important than quality service, good food and customer satisfaction. I won't be eating there again and I would not recommend this to anyone as a place to eat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Popstarparrot

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Scotland
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Had Sunday lunch here with my wife, good menu, it's very busy on Sundays so book if you can. Service was very good, very helpful and attentive.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

I recently visited for s Saturday lunch after as lovely walk via Holryood Palace and across fields. I had read about this place and wanted to go for a while. It's a nice enough pub which has obviously been renovated/modernised. In part this was nice and well Donna however fads being 14th century it felt like it had lost some characters about. Pleasant enough though.
The service when we went wasn't bad but we had to remind someone we were waiting for e desert menu. Staff pleasant but not particularly friendly, not rude just no warmth.
We had bread as an appetiser and this was delicious, as we're the main course fish cakes that we had. My friend had the crumble for desert and said it was pleasant but could have been hotter.af. I went for the Pavlova and was very disappointed. Basically it was shop bought white meringue rings that we like chalk with some not particularly good cream and
A little bit of fresh fruit. A good pavlova is so much more than that!
Having said all that I would return but probably avoid the deserts and make sure I got there early whilst service was still good.

Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Lady Flavia
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

We went to have dinner here and sat downstairs (early tea time but with kids). Good menu with specials. Service quick, prices good - approx £8 - £9 main course from the menu we had (steak £13). Kids meals £4.95, nicely presented. Drinks pretty expensive, staff nice although place busy. We just had main course, servings a good size. The chicken was in a lovely lemon, chilli and honey sauce and was beautiful. We were wary after the poor reviews but were pleasantly surprised. It's excellent pub food at good prices. Definitely worth a look by if you are in the area.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Great pub with loads of character. Good food and value for money. We had a party hiring out the skittle alley which is great for the money also. Sadly let down by poor service, Staff don't acknowledge you when you enter or are at the bar waiting. They are so slow to serve you - they look unhappy like they don't want to be there - not the best for a cosy welcoming pub! We had 15 people for a party and were expected to order from the bar and carry drinks through the busy restaurant or beer garden. When I asked if we could simply order and have them brought through to us when they were ready, I was told they only do table service to the beer garden, not the skittle alley which is about 1 meters beyond the beer garden - strange,

Everything seems like too much hassle for the staff which strikes to me as bad management. Not hospitable. However, not a horrendous experience but I wouldn't rush back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Came over from Canada to be at my Uncle's 80th birthday party. My aunt had rented the upstairs bar to have the celebrations for over thirty guests for the afternoon. Several plates of sandwiches, wings,and snacks had been order as part of the deal. The party had been going for awhile before the food had arrived. When it did it was two plates of sandwiches,one medium bowl of wings (12-15) in total, and three bowls of snacks. At two thirty we asked if that was it on the food and we were being told there was more on the way. When three forty five came along they said we had to go now as the room needed to be cleaned up for the next group. My aunt had spoke to the manager saying she had rented it for the afternoon. He had stated there was a mix up in bookings and another group was booked for the upstairs at four o'clock, but what he could do was, as tables became available downstairs we could have them. It sounded like a reasonable offer because a lot of the quests had left and we were now smaller in numbers and getting hungry from very little food earlier.
Now downstairs, we order more drinks and when the drinks arrived the serving staff started to put reserved signs on the tables that we were sitting at. We told the servers that we were with the group the you were reserving the tables for. They said they would send over the manager. When the manager arrived and said we would have to go. When my cousin spoke to the manager he told him to leave the bar, then the rest of us were told to leave. My cousin and his wife were physically pushed out and my cousin's wife was not able to go back to get their coats or children!! Other people from the group still inside had to end up getting their children and coat.
I know your thinking about now that our group got out of control and out of hand but we had not.
I do hope others take advantage of this advise and steer clear of this place by not give them any service till things change!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family