“Bit of a let down”
Review of The Sheep Heid Inn

The Sheep Heid Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Sheep Heid Inn
Ranked #295 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Great pub with loads of character. Good food and value for money. We had a party hiring out the skittle alley which is great for the money also. Sadly let down by poor service, Staff don't acknowledge you when you enter or are at the bar waiting. They are so slow to serve you - they look unhappy like they don't want to be there - not the best for a cosy welcoming pub! We had 15 people for a party and were expected to order from the bar and carry drinks through the busy restaurant or beer garden. When I asked if we could simply order and have them brought through to us when they were ready, I was told they only do table service to the beer garden, not the skittle alley which is about 1 meters beyond the beer garden - strange,

Everything seems like too much hassle for the staff which strikes to me as bad management. Not hospitable. However, not a horrendous experience but I wouldn't rush back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Came over from Canada to be at my Uncle's 80th birthday party. My aunt had rented the upstairs bar to have the celebrations for over thirty guests for the afternoon. Several plates of sandwiches, wings,and snacks had been order as part of the deal. The party had been going for awhile before the food had arrived. When it did it was two plates of sandwiches,one medium bowl of wings (12-15) in total, and three bowls of snacks. At two thirty we asked if that was it on the food and we were being told there was more on the way. When three forty five came along they said we had to go now as the room needed to be cleaned up for the next group. My aunt had spoke to the manager saying she had rented it for the afternoon. He had stated there was a mix up in bookings and another group was booked for the upstairs at four o'clock, but what he could do was, as tables became available downstairs we could have them. It sounded like a reasonable offer because a lot of the quests had left and we were now smaller in numbers and getting hungry from very little food earlier.
Now downstairs, we order more drinks and when the drinks arrived the serving staff started to put reserved signs on the tables that we were sitting at. We told the servers that we were with the group the you were reserving the tables for. They said they would send over the manager. When the manager arrived and said we would have to go. When my cousin spoke to the manager he told him to leave the bar, then the rest of us were told to leave. My cousin and his wife were physically pushed out and my cousin's wife was not able to go back to get their coats or children!! Other people from the group still inside had to end up getting their children and coat.
I know your thinking about now that our group got out of control and out of hand but we had not.
I do hope others take advantage of this advise and steer clear of this place by not give them any service till things change!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

We were really looking forward to eating here after our daughter had raved about this pub although she hadn't eaten there. First
they were not sure where our table was upstairs or down. Decided it was upstairs. First problem somebody else was sitting at our table so we were taken back downstairs to another table. We were given the menu they didn't have what we wanted so chose something else. While we were waiting for our starters (which arrived after 50 minutes the waitress (who seemed on another Planet) asked if we were waiting for our bill. No just our food. Eventually had our starter which was quite nice although I don't think scallops need Basil. Then she asked if we would like to see the dessert menu. No just waiting for our main course. 1 hour later main course arrives. In the mean time we had to ask what had happened to the wine we were waiting for. My Steak was practically inedible. Next would we like to see the dessert menu. I asked if we would have to wait an hour for dessert (she went to ask the kitchen. No about 10 minutes. Well when we were give the menu it turns out there was a specials menu that we didn't get to see. There were 2 dishes on there I would rather have had. When we mentioned this there was no apology. We chose Treacle Tart with Clotted cream when it arrived no clotted cream, just some artificial squirty stuff. Again no apology. Sorry this review goes on but this place was unbelievable. The waiting staff were the worst I have ever come across. They just didn't have a clue. We were paying good money for this and at no point did a manager come and speak to us to apologise. Apart from the long wait for food the constant stream of people walking past our table from an outside area was extremely annoying ( very bad planning)
I can honestly say you could experience better service at a fast food outlet. This place needs to pull its socks up. Employ competent waiting staff not some dreamy young girl with her head in the clouds. No apology No reduced Bill. Disgusting !!

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank weareladies
Reviewed April 21, 2012

As a fan of The Sheep Heid previously I was very dissapointed by the recent renovations,which have taken a fabulous individual wee pub with lots of character and stripped it of all the little bits and pieces collected over the years to make another generic faux country pub. Service was always a problem but enjoyed the previous atmosphere so much was happy to go back. Now with the same service (unobservant and forgetful, and after being told it was table service all pretense of this of this went out the window as soon as a group walked up to the bar leaving everyone else hanging) I'm not sure I'll bother. However the food came quickly and my fish and chips were delicious,the chips in particular were excellent, lovely and crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. At over £40 for three meals and 3 drinks though the food should have been of a high standard. Still a reasonable place to get a meal after a walk up the hill, but not a patch on what it was, which will be missed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LittleMissyEdin
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We ate here on Friday March 30th 2012 upstairs in a very pleasnt atmosphere. It was fairly full but not noisy and the service was very acceptable, as was the food. Our impression was that this no longer "just a pub"; there are definitely aspirations here. We would be happy to come back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We visit this pub as part of a walk over Arthur seat from Holyrood stop for lunch and lazy drift back via the crags. It has been done up recently and we liked the improvement. It has always had a bit of a dry character, but the staff do warm up and we have always had a good lunch. I suspect prices have drifted up to cover the cost of the renovations.

It has good real ales and selection of wines and it's location is perfect for an extended walk.

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I concur with what many others have said regarding the absolutely appalling service and the unacceptable delays at this place. I cannot summon up the energy to go into detail: I am quite sure, however, others will already have detailed the places's shortcomings.

Just avoid it unless you want to spend literally HOURS of your time waiting for food that never arrives because an order has not been processed. Simply dreadful and a sad reflection on Scottish pub dining.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family