28 York Place Hotel
  • Pool
$860
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre South Bridge(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$165
$136
$129
  • Room Service
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$236
$125
$249
$194
  • Room Service
Travelodge Edinburgh Central(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
$82
Travelodge
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsno liftnail filecotton budsprinces street and waverley stationadjoining doorcannot recommend this hotel highly enoughhigh ceilingsgreat wifiedinburgh tattoocoffee and hot chocolatetram stopperfect weekendconvenient hotelcentral edinburghwould stay here againstayed here for one nightthe hotel manager
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here last August, as we went during the August Fringe season there weren't many places with availability or offering good value accommodation, so thought it may be a risk at first but it turned out very well! The room was clean, comfortable and had a very high ceiling along with excellent views to the North, and as it was the opposite side to the road it was nice and quiet. The owner was friendly and helpful especially when we needed help trying to establish a wi-fi connection and he and the other staff gave us space which was welcome. At the time they didn't do breakfast but that wasn't a problem as there was a Wetherspoons a little way down the road (recommended for a good, cheap breakfast).
There are also a few small bars further along York Place.The hotel itself has a bar/cafe but didn't actually try it, but it was nice to have the option.
Excellent value, location convenient and a great room.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gordon W, General Manager at 28 York Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear BC20

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm glad that it was so memorable that a year on you have taken the time to leave your comments.

I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay. The views to the rear of the property are quite stunning so I'm pleased that you were able to appreciate them. I'm pleased that you could take advantage of the facilities we have on offer and hope that you were able to visit the Stand Comedy Club, held within the hotel each year.

We are introducing a grab and go style breakfast option for guests who are on the go and don't have time to visit one of the cafes nearby for a full breakfast.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Happy travelling

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We opted to pay the extra £10 to stay in the deluxe room. We were on the second floor overlooking the street. They were working on a tram line and according to our cab driver this has been going on for 6 years. The first night they were noisily working until late but the next two evenings it was quiet. The toilet was not functioning well and the bathroom had a smell of urine.
The location and price were very good.
I would reccomend checking out your room before you pay, to insure it meets your expectations.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mark Z

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I'm pleased you found 28 York Place to be reasonably priced and well located for your recent stay in Edinburgh. We try to keep our prices as competitive as possible without compromising on service or quality, but we appreciate that it's only human to get it wrong some times.

I'm sorry that your bathrooms fell short of expectation during your stay. I do hope that we were able to resolve the issue promptly and from my records note that we refunded your upgrade as a gesture of goodwill.

We're looking forward to having trams which will take guests from outside the hotel to the airport. Sadly, that has meant tram works on York Place for the last 11 months, however we are assured that the works are now within their final days and from September guests should experience no disruption.

I look forward to welcoming you to 28 York Place, and hope we can reach that all important 5 out of 5 next time.

Best wishes

Reviewed May 27, 2013

My friend and I stopped here for one night prior to participating in the Edinburgh marathon festival, our rooms were on separate floors but that didn't matter in the slightest. My room (the 'Forth' room) was lovely and the bed was huge!! I had a lovely view over the firth. There was plenty of tea and coffee to drink in the room and some lovely complimentary shortbread. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful giving us directions to nearby places to eat. There was an 18th birthday party on that evening but I certainly didn't hear anything. As we were taking part in the half marathon the following day they allowed us to have a late check-out. However we got back a little later than we had anticipated but the staff were not in the least phased and were extremely kind enough to let us into our rooms to have a much needed shower prior to checking out. A very pleasant stay and I would definitely like to come back with my husband and spend a little longer to experience more that Edinburgh has to offer - 28 York Place is ideally situated from Waverley train station and far enough back from the main road so as not to hear any disturbances.

Room Tip: rooms at the back enjoy a lovely view of the firth.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Pen6988

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, my apologies for the delayed response.

The Edinburgh Marathon Festival is a wonderful time to be in Edinburgh, runners and spectators alike create a great atmosphere. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found the view from the room to be impressive. I hope that your run went well and I look forward to welcoming you back with your husband next time.

Happy travelling

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of April , the staff, all from Scotland were lovely nothing was too much trouble. The location was brilliant we parked our car and forgot about it for the rest of our stay and walked everywhere. Everything that Edinburgh has to offer was on the doorstep. The room we were in was at the back of the hotel with a lovely rooftop view, it was of a good size, had tea(every type thinkable from fruit to normal) and coffee facilities ,large comfy bed and clean en-suite bathroom with complementary toiletries. The only negative for some people maybe that it had no restaurant or breakfast facilities, but for us that was not a problem, as we could go into town or the little cafe opposite and get what we needed.They do have a bar though so if you want a nightcap that's easily done. The parking (free) was a huge bonus but you need to book it when you make your reservation as there is only room for 2/3 cars. An excellent choice , one that I have already recommended to friends and I would certainly use again.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear calamityjane1956

Thank you for leaving your candid comments about your recent stay at 28 York Place.

I was delighted to read all your positive comments about your stay. I, along with the team, love hearing when a guest has enjoyed their stay in Edinburgh. I'm pleased the room, with it's view, tea and coffee making facilities and most importantly comfy bed met with your needs.

In an effort to maintain our competitive pricing we don't offer breakfast, instead we help guests find somewhere nearby where they can enjoy a cooked breakfast. We are introducing a grab and go breakfast option though so look out for that during your next stay.

Best wishes

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just back from staying here for 1 night. It is a no frills hotel that does what it says. It is a perfect weekend hotel for seeing the sights or for a one nighter if you are passing through. Room was basic, king size bed, small tv, shower/bath, tea/coffee making facilities and hairdryer nothing more. If you are going to use the tea/coffee take your own as the milk was off and the sugar was solid in the satchet. Be aware if you are going outwith summer months, the old bay windows do shake and rattle in the wind and are a bit drafty but again for the cost of the room no one should expect a Hilton service. The room was clean, the shower was WOW, it is a bath with shower but had powerful pressure that was more akin to a power shower. Can't really think of any downsides to staying except for parking and noise. Enough room for 4 cars so would advise to book a space if possible. Unfortunately our room overlooked the main road and we could hear when it was closing time at the local pubs (of which there are many located within a 5 minute walking distance for all who like a tipple) but again for the cost of the hotel it can't really be classed as a major downside. Would use this hotel again as staff were friendly and very accommodating and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Max1690

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us, I do apologise that I haven't replied to you sooner.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay at 28 York Place and that all the room facilities met with your needs. I'm sorry that some of the amenities weren't as fresh as they should be, I wish I'd known as one of the team would have been pleased to resolve this for you.

I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.