“Very lovely stay”

28 York Place Hotel
Ranked #60 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Very lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay here. Was for one night and everything was perfect and all I needed was in my room.
Very large spacious room in the Holyroad Room facing the front. Clean room and a beautiful building.
The only problem was I couldn't catch up on sleep after my travels to get there because of the building works outside. Complimentary ear plugs would have been a nice touch!
Very clean bathroom with all the essentials and even little extras like a nail file and cotton buds and cotton pads that was a very lovely touch.
Will stay again when I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank CheishM
Gordon W, General Manager at 28 York Place Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Cheishm

Thanks so much for your feedback on your recent stay at 28 York Place.

I'm delighted that our city centre location worked well for you and that you enjoyed your stay. Really pleased that you enjoyed the toiletries - we buy these direct from Arran Aromatics, handmade in Scotland, it's nice to know they're appreciated by our guests.

As you mention, the Edinburgh Trams project is in full swing, and whilst work is not allowed to be carried out overnight I think your idea for complimentary earplugs is perfect - we'll source a supplier this week and our guests will be able to take full advantage moving forward.

The team will be pleased to hear your feedback and I very much look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon.

Gordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Finnish first
Strathaven
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

28 York Place Edinburgh less than 5 minutes from Princess Street with free parking. Good rates and outstanding service from the staff. No breakfast but plenty of good, well priced cafes and restaurants within walking distance. Nice bar , well stocked and competitive prices. Host to the Comedy Stand during the Fringe but also well located for all other main attractions during the year. For those arriving by bus or train both stations are well within walking distance. Overall an outstanding well priced central location

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimJ57
Dear JimJ57

Thanks so much for your feedback on your recent stay at 28 York Place. Really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Not sure where to start - what a great review. It's always good to hear that our location has worked well for guests, we're so lucky to have everything on our doorstep. Glad too that you were able to take advantage of our complementary on site parking, with local car parks charging upwards of £20 overnight, it adds a little extra value to guests' stays.

I know the team will be pleased to have made your stay so enjoyable you wanted to share it with fellow Tripadvisors. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours most gratefully
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Yippee free car parking in centre of Edinburgh, worth an absolute fortune! Clean room and en-suite, lovely view over the roof tops and over the Forth. Not a sound to disturb us but right in the middle of town, The Manager couldnt have been more friendly or helpful..(I'm sure he never goes off duty!) Thanks to Suzie as well she made us feel very welcome! We will be back!!!! But with more comfortable shoes next time.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back....lovely view over the roof tops to the Forth.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear L66KMG

Thanks so much for your feedback about your recent stay - really sorry I've not replied sooner.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the view from our rear facing rooms added to your experience. We're so lucky to have an elevated position looking over the roof tops to the River Forth and the Kingdom of Fife. I'm pleased that Suzanne made you feel welcomed - she was thrilled to hear of your comments, we recently rewarded her with a trip to a show in light of all her hard work.

Look forward to welcoming you back for the Fringe next year, and hopefully sooner!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We live in Edinburgh and stayed here for 2 weeks (following the flooding of our house). A friend who stayed here while attending a wedding recommended it to us. Good sized rooms, with tea, coffee and all bath lotions etc
We were so well treated by the staff and I would say if you are a tourist you are so close to so many great restaurants (Zest, Pommegranite, Urban Angel to name but a few!) Across the road is the newly refurbished Portrait Gallery Museum - just an ideal situation. If I ever have guests staying in Edinburgh I would say this is ideal. (Yes the tram works are just outside for now so ask for rooms to the back with breathtaking views over the Firth of Forth).
With grateful thanks to the lovely staff for all their kindness and attention.
Anne and Brian Fraser

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Anne and Brian

Thanks so much for your feedback about your recent stay, can't express how sorry I am to have taken so long to get back to you.

How unfortunate the need for your stay was but I'm thrilled that the team were able to make you feel like you were in a home away from home - I know you needed it more than our guests usually do. It's so encouraging to hear your positive comments and the team were delighted when I shared your positive comments with them.

I do hope you have settled in to your temporary accommodation and are looking forward to getting back in to your own house shortly. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back in better circumstances sometime soon.

Best wishes from all the team
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed overnight recently whilst visiting Edinburgh. We had stayed here before and had a really good experience. This time however the room allocated to us was extremely small, there was only 1 bedside light and cabinet, the curtains were coming off the rail and there was a huge space under the main bedroom( surely a fire hazard?). Not worth the money!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret R
Gordon W, General Manager at 28 York Place Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Dear Margaret

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

I'm delighted that your first stay was so enjoyable you chose to stay with us again. However, I'm really disappointed that we failed to live up to your first experience. With such an old building, each room is very different, and whilst two of our rear facing rooms are slightly smaller, they're very popular for their stunning views over the Firth of Forth. I wish I'd had the chance to meet you during your stay - we always look to go out of our way to ensure guests have an enjoyable stay and would have done our best to find an alternative room.

I hope you'll be back with us sometime soon, please contact me directly when you're planning a trip and I'll make sure we organise a more suitable room for your needs - please email gordon@28yorkplace.com.

Thanks once again and happy travelling
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I booked 28 York Place due to its very reasonable rates whilst going to a concert in Edinburgh. I telephoned to book, and received email confirmation.

Due to the tramworks in Edinburgh just now, (York Place was closed), we couldn't work out how to get into the place. Parked up, and walked across and was given directions - turned out we had driven past the rear of the hotel about 3 times but completely missed it!

Keycard entry to the hotel is great as it means you are not restricted re the time you come back at night. We stayed in the Castle Suite, which was really spacious. Great view over the city from the window.

As there was a function on at the time we arrived we had to walk round the long way to get into the hotel from the car park, but that was just our bad timing I reckon.

Would recommend the hotel if you're looking for accommodation that's really central - very handy for bars and restaurants! Can't really fault the place!

Room Tip: Would recommend the Castle Suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Gordon W, General Manager at 28 York Place Hotel, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Dear Gary

Thanks for reviewing your recent stay with us - I was delighted to read your positive comments and share them with all the team.

I'm sorry the Tram Works caused some confusion but we're working with the Council to improve signage which should help others facing the same challenge. I'm pleased it didn't prevent you from enjoying your stay though and was glad you found our Castle Room to be comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.

windsor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

What a super hotel very handy for the bus and train links as well as the city. The staff were friendly and helpful [assisted in working out details for the marathon my wife was running in that weekend]. There were great views from our room at the back of the hotel over The Firth of Forth.
Rooms were spacious clean and tidy although the stairs are a bit steep.
Have already booked for a rugby trip in November and recommended it to the rest of our party.

Room Tip: views from the back of the hotel are super.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear WindsorFred

Many thanks for your recent review - I'm really sorry not to have been in touch sooner.

I was delighted to read your comments and share them with the rest of the team, we're pleased you had an enjoyable break in our beautiful city. We're lucky to have such stunning views across the Firth of Forth and out to the Kingdom of Fife - I'm glad you had a rear facing room and could appreciate them.

I hope your wife was pleased with her performance at the Edinburgh Marathon. Look forward to welcoming you back in November.

Thanks again