“Special Experience”

and 1 more site!
Allburys
Ranked #81 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband and I travelled to Edinburgh for a two night break on 2nd January. We had chosen to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary in Edinburgh partly to experience a meal at The Witchery, recently voted the UK's most romantic restaurant. We weren't disappointed with that choice and also enjoyed lunch at the rooftop restaurant in the National Museum of Scotland, even though it was too windy to venture onto the roof terrace to take in what we were told is a great view of the city. The intimate nature and personal service provided at Allbury's made the break extra special for us. What a fantastic property, with all its original features enhanced by carefully chosen art, furniture, flowers, table ware etc. As others have commented Derek is the perfect host and a great cook. The breakfasts really are delicious and when my husband had a hankering for something that wasn't on the menu I wrote a request on it the night before saying no problem if it wasn't possible, but it appeared the next morning and was thoroughly enjoyed by my husband. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend Allbury's and will definitely stay there next time we visit Edinburgh.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay in the Robin Suite, a spacious, warm, fresh lounge room and double bedroom at Allburys. The suite combines striking modern furniture and equipment whilst retaining traditional features of the Victorian building and artwork, also with a slight splash of Scotland.

Derrick was the perfect host, he couldn't do enough for us, without imposing. Breakfast was incredible, with creamy 'proper porridge' and fresh scrambled eggs with tarragon as well as generous helpings of tea and toast to set us up for the day and short stroll into town, and enjoyed in the lovely dining room with another pleasant and friendly couple of lodgers.

As a top end B&B, this has real feel of a mini hotel albeit with the friendliness and personal touches of the hosts tastes and cultures.

Thanks, and we will return.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have just got back after a Saturday and Sunday at Allburys. This delightful B&B is just 5 minutes walk from Haymarket station, (and it really is only 5 minutes). Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated and maintained to a high standard, well deserving of its 5 star status from Visit Scotland as well as it's 2012 and 2013 tripadvisor award. The breakfast choice was excellent, cooked well and delicious. We were impressed that the breakfast menu changed from Saturday to Sunday, I don't know if it changes every day, but it was a nice touch. The owner will cook an evening meal if required, be aware that you need to give 24 hours notice if eating in. We didn't have an evening meal but the owner clearly has an interest in food and cooking and judging by the breakfast I feel sure the food would be very good. This is a friendly place to stay and has a nice feel to it. We would stay again and we will be recommending it to our friends and family.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

The bed was like sleeping on a cloud! We were on the top floor with the suite. It was beautiful. The hairdryer was a big one, not a travel one you get in a hotel. The food was exquisite. Well worth the 5 stars for everything. Couldn't of found a better place to stay.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Me and my partner stayed in the Allburys B&B for 3 nights in January. Upon arrival we were greeted by Derek, the owner, who showed us around the accommodation consisting of the bedroom, bathroom and communal dining room for the morning breakfasts.

The bedroom came equipped with what you'd expect; cable TV, hairdryer, table/chairs etc. plus a pair of matching robes. The room was elegantly decorated with some interesting and aspiring art on the walls, but the thing really worth mentioning is the bed itself. I can tell you now I've never been in a more soft and comfortable bed, I'm not joking. I haven't slept better in my own bed, and it was a struggle to leave it. I'm not sure if every room has the same bed, but if your lucky enough to be on the first floor then you will be sleeping on the bed of golden slumbers.

The bathroom is perfectly sized for a couple, not too big or small. The shower was a treat with each use, supplied with aloe vera shampoo and shower gel. In addition there is a marble and wood bench within the shower on one of the walls.

The breakfasts in the morning ranged from 8:00 - 10:00 am and the food was delightful. The breakfast menu was inserted under our doorway in the evening from which we had 3 main meals to choose from. They were primarily egg based, which I was pleased to see. The meals were exquisite and slightly alternating with each day. For example, omelette with mushrooms, scrambled eggs with cheese and spring onion, and the classic bacon and fired egg sandwich. There were other ingredients per meal but I can't recall the exact menu details, on top of this was choice of juice and an option for a fruit smoothie one morning! Which, again, I was pleased to see. Along with background music, coffee, toast and jam the breakfast was the perfect way to start the day, not to mention a worthy excuse to leave the bed of golden slumbers.

One small naggy thing would be the lack of a parking space directly outside the B&B but Derek directed us to where there is free parking which was around 15 - 20 minutes walk. Thanks to the location of the B&B, however, we were very close to the city centre and found ourselves walking to most places anyway.

So in conclusion yes I'd recommend this accommodation, even without the Groupon I'd consider it well worth the full asking price and would definitely re-visit to check in on our friendly Derek.

P.S. - the key for the door to our bedroom was 160 years old, it felt like yielding a historic Scottish treasure!

Room Tip: First floor had a sweet bed, couldn't tell ya if the others were better or worse.
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Myself and my boyfriend enjoyed a 2 night stay, purchased via the Groupon deal. The house is stunning and you can tell every detail has been considered. Our room was gorgeously decorated and the facilities were amazing; the bed and shower were perfect. Breakfast was great on both mornings, the freshly squeezed orange and lovely coffee were a great start. Initially we were surprised there was an additional fee to have a full cooked breakfast or eggs benedict, however the ingredients were of the highest standard, so it is completely understandable. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time I've been lucky enough to live ( which is how at home you feel)in Derrick the proprietors house and its my favourite mini hotel ever. This first time was as a groupon visitor and I felt just as special as coming the second time - this time I chose to pay usual rates.Derrick is a natural host and the house is beautiful - very quiet and waking distance to the centre. The rooms are few but plush spacious and very private. Breakfast is diverse and its all butchers meats rather than platefuls of cheap supermarket fry up fodder. I've already booked for my festival visits as rooms go quick. A fantastic place which makes you feel very special.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo