“Home away from home”
Review of Netherby House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Netherby House
Ranked #119 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Columbia, South Carolina
“Home away from home”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Netherby House was a jewel! A 15-minute drive from the airport and on a direct bus line into the heart of the city. Since we stayed several days at the beginning of our trip, and returned for a couple more after our Scotland coach tour was over, we were in two different rooms, both of which were spotless, comfortable, and quiet. We enjoyed the full Scottish breakfast several times and were also given a breakfast tray of fruit, yogurt, and croissants to take with us to the airport on the last day, since we had to leave at 4:00 AM! We have stayed in a number of B&Bs around the UK and have not experienced a warmer hospitality or better service anywhere. We will make this our "home away from home" whenever we're in Edinburgh again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Lovely and clean, welcoming hosts - ideal for anyone heading for the airport and a bargain as well. We very much enjoyed the cooked Scottish breakfast - good selection of options.
This is a lovely B&B none of the awful noise of stag or hen doo's you get in large hotels, as I work hard in my own business I value a good nights sleep over all things.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Kim143, Thank you for taking time to leave us your comments on tripadvisor, it is always a pleasure to see a genuine positive review from a guest who is a “Senior Reviewer”, and who also appreciates value for money! It’s good to hear that you enjoyed our cooked breakfast and that you had a peaceful night’s sleep. As a returning guest I am sure that we will get the opportunity to welcome you again.
Netherby B&B
Dunoon, Argyll
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Unpleasant odours on entering the house. We checked the sheets in our room (as we always do) and to our horror found several dark curly hairs and other little "bits". When we brought this to the attention of George, instead of being apologetic, he absolutely went into a tirade and lectured us like school children about how he runs a clean establishment. He brought clean sheets which he threw on the floor (carpet was filthy) while taking the old ones off, all the while ranting at us. Even when we said we meant no offense but surely he could see we wouldn't have had a very restful night with the hairs in the bed he kept on and on and on and on. I would absolutely never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Carol C.
Thank you for your candid review, we always take genuine criticism very seriously.
I see that you mention that you stayed with us in June 2012, which is 11 months ago, I am sure that even after 11 months if I had been this abrupt to one of our guests I would have remembered the occasion.
I am shocked and extremely disappointed to see that after almost a year you feel that you should write a review of this nature.
However you can and any future guest can rest assured that our sheets are laundered daily and are always freshly ironed before they are fitted to the beds.
Our carpets are regularly washed and are also vacuumed daily; it would be difficult to know what sort of smell was experienced when entering our house, as I am sure that after a year the aroma must vary.
This review is so uncharacteristic and as you can all see it is so much the opposite of our normal reviews, we wondered if it had been put on by error, but because it is a first review from an anonymous guest who has just joined Tripadvisor today, with no contact details, we are unable to verify this.
I can only say that we always do our best to accommodate guests to a standard that we would expect when we are traveling away from home.
I do hope that you will take my honest reply into consideration when choosing your Edinburgh accommodation.
Netherby House B&B
Newcastle
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at Netherby as I required accommodation near to the airport and the various nearby airport located hotels were asking for single occupancy from £88 plus. I paid £35 for my stay.

Due to my early morning departure to the airport - 5.30 am, I'm afraid I missed the Scottish style cooked breakfast but was offered a tray of continental goodies. So, I missed George's culinary skills but gained his excellent warm welcome and recommendations for the several restaurants within ten minutes walk from Netherby. His help to tell me the correct bus stop to go, to get to the airport was another nice touch of being bothered and willingness to be helpful. was evident immediately as he welcomed my arrival to his home

I don't wish to be repetitive but the other reviewers were spot on with their comments on the cleanliness and comfort. I also liked the separate outside entrance to the 'guest quarters' and unlike other B&B's this design feature of George's home gave the feeling of 'freedom of passage' in the same way as hotels offer.

I highly recommend Netherby House

Room Tip: I had the room facing the busy Glasgow Road otherwise I would have marked excellent
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear hjaltland,
Thank you for taking time to leave us your comments on trip advisor, I am pleased that you were happy with your stay and our location, and I am especially grateful for your comment stating that all the other reviews were accurate. If you are ever in Edinburgh again you will be welcome here.
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

we stayed four nights at Netherby House and found the hospitality from George first class.We where worried about what the b&b would be like,but we where put at ease by the welcome from George,we where escorted to our room which we found to be very comfortable.The breakfasts were of the finest quality,well cooked and presented,my wife and i have no problem in recommending Netherby House to anybody wanting to stay in Edinburgh,we will be stopping there again if we can get a room,do not hesitate its very popular.

Room Tip: book early to avoid disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave us your comments on trip advisor, I am pleased to hear that you were happy with our hospitality and that you found our rooms to be very comfortable. If you are ever in Edinburgh again you will be welcome here.
Fres, Greece
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Anyone looking for somewhere to stay within easy reach of Edinburgh airport and the city itself, could do no better than Netherby House. It has ample parking, is close to the main routes to other parts of Scotland and there are shops and places to eat nearby. I particularly recommend the excellent Chinese restaurant.

George was very helpful and hospitable, patiently talking me in when I got bogged down in Edinburgh rush-hour traffic.

My room was clean, comfortable and quiet, despite the proximity of the airport and road, and I enjoyed an excellent full Scottish breakfast before setting off on my journey back to Crete.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
George T, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to leave us your comments on trip advisor, like so many of our other guests I see you comment on our location, we are lucky to be half way between Edinburgh and Edinburgh airport with such a good selection of restaurants and shops in the local vicinity.
If you are ever in Edinburgh again you will be welcome here.
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a weekend in Edinburgh before our flight to Rome, we chose Netherby because it was close to the airport, it couldn't have been a better choice, the room was very clean with crisp clean sheets, little extras in the bathroom was a nice touch. The breakfast was excellent with not a drop of grease on the plate, loads of restaurants within walking distance, The Maner house was very good, overall I would rate this B&B as one of the best we've stayed in and would recomend it to anyone wanting a clean value for money B&B.

• Stayed March 2013