“A warm and welcoming atmosphere”
Review of Netherby House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Netherby House
Ranked #117 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Kfar Saba
“A warm and welcoming atmosphere”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

As a frequent visitor to this B&B, I would have no hesitation in recommending Netherby B&B to my friends and colleagues. 5 out of 5 stars from me !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bendigo, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed a total of three nights at Netherby, and couldn't fault it. Our room was large, bright and airy, with very comfortable beds and large en-suite. Everything was spotless. The extras in the room by way of tea and coffee-making facilities, ironing equipment, toiletries and additional blankets all added to the charm of Netherby. George was an extremely friendly host, who cooked an excellent breakfast. The off-street parking was another bonus. The icing on the cake was coming in the middle of one afternoon when it was raining and cold outside to find the heating already on. Home sweet home! We would return any time we were in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: The lower family room is large, bright and airy and on the same level as the carpark, so no carrying...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rae H
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2012

we had a one night stay at netherby house. The room was very clean and warm and the beds very comfortable.The en-suite was very spacious with nice white towels and toiletries provided.
The owner was very hospitable making you feel very welcome the breakfast was excellent served in a very homely room.I would highly recommend netherby house to any one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 8jane
Aberdeenshire
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had a very enjoyable one night stay at Netherby House. Nice size, clean and well heated family room with very comfortable beds, coffee/tea making facilities, iron board and iron. Spacious en-suite with towels and toiletries and there's private parking behind the B&B.
For dinner, we went to an excellent Chinese Restaurant close by but there are also other good restaurants to go to, all within walking distance.
Very friendly and helpful owner who served an excellent full Scottish Breakfast with good quality bacon, yummmmy!
There's a homely feel to this B&B and I know where I will be staying next time I'm in Edinburgh!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank AberdeenshireTimmie
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed at the B&B for 5 nights. Very friendly owner John who serves a brilliant breakfast. Rooms are clean. Place has everything you expect from a B&B. Bus routes are 1 minutes walk away into town and towards the airport. Allocated parking places behind the B&B are there. Rooms have towels, iron board & iron, tooth paste, tooth brush, etc. Big 24h Tesco is just 5 minutes walk away from the place.

Denis

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank destaskewitsch
gtt1960, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
Dear destaskewitsch,
Thank you for taking time to leave us your comments on trip advisor, I am pleased that you were happy with your stay and our location, and I'm glad to hear that I cook a "brilliant" breakfast. It is especially nice to get an honest review. If you are ever in Edinburgh again you will be welcome here.
Best regards;
Virginia
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We just completed a one-night stay at Netherby, before an early-morning flight out of Edinburgh. This B&B, however, had the misfortune of being the last of some seven in which we stayed during a glorious trip to Scotland -- including another one, closer to downtown. We chose Netherby, based on its proximity to the airport, for our last night. The price was high -- we had a triple room, and a large single; in fact, it was the highest price we paid for any night in Scotland, and (again, it isn't fair to compare, but...) it was the "least great" B&B in which we stayed.

The house is on the main road from the airport into the city. There is secure parking in the lower, backyard, and it is well secured, with motion lights, etc. Our rooms were both on the ground level, below street level, which helped -- but did not eliminate -- road noise. The rooms were both spotless. The owner -- George -- was expecting us when we arrived. His was the only B&B during our stay which required a near 100-percent pre-payment. I theorize he has to do this given the fact that many guests -- like us -- must leave early in the morning. We left before a traditional sit-down breakfast time, but George did leave nice continental breakfast trays in both of our rooms.

My only negative comments go to the cold rooms -- even with the electric heaters going at night -- both rooms were cold during the night, and we slept with sweatshirts on. Also, there was a hot-water heater in a closet next to the double bed in the larger of our two rooms, and it was constantly firing up every few mintues up until around 1100pm, which made it very hard to fall asleep. Biggest complaint, however, would be the mattresses. Our bed was a very thin mattress on a metal springframe, and it squeaked very loudly and made for very poor sleeping. These comments would carry less weight -- in my mind, at least -- had we not paid what we paid. I think back to our other accommodations, even in Edinburgh, and can see a big difference between those places and Netherby. That said, if you want to be close to the airport and the chain hotel prices remain through the roof, then by all means, seek out the Netherby House; but set your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
gtt1960, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear NellieVA,
Thank you for leaving us your comments on Trip advisor, I am especially pleased to see that you were happy with your room sizes and that they were both spotless, and for mentioning that the car park is well secured with motion lights and I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your continental breakfast before your early departure.
However when you say that our rates where high, you were made aware of our rates and our deposit requirements before you made the reservation. Our rates are very competitive and I would be very surprised to find similar accommodation for a single night for the same rate in this area.
You mention the fact that you felt that the rooms were cold, Edinburgh has a very variable climate and you were lucky enough to enjoy the warmest March in Scotland since it was recorded in 1957, but then the weather changed and on the night mentioned the temperature fell from over 20c during the day to -2c at night, unfortunately this is outwith our control, however there were two radiators in the room with thermostatic valves that could be adjusted and there are also additional blankets in the wardrobe.
I agree that it is possible to hear the water heater; we heat the water until 11pm in order for it to be hot for guests who have an early morning departure. I am however suppressed that you mentioned the mattress; this is a relatively new bed and mattress which I have slept in myself and I found very comfortable, however I have taken note and I will make sure that the bed has not been damaged in anyway.
If ever you require accommodation in Edinburgh again, you will always receive a warm welcome here.
Kind regards;
cardiff
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in March 2012. It is very easy to get to from the airport, as it is on the route of the express bus into the centre of Edinburgh. The owner was very helpful, and the room was lovely - it was a nice size, and it was lovely and bright. I find a lot of hotels have too few lights and use very low wattage bulbs, but this was perfect. The room was clean, and it makes a change to get proper toiletries and not those little sachets. Breakfast is cooked to order, and was delicious.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Annipink
gtt1960, Owner at Netherby House, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Dear Annipink,
Thanks for taking your time and write about us on Trip advisor. It’s always good to see all our comments here. It was a pleasure meeting you and I am pleased to hear that you found us easy to get to from the airport, It’s good to know that you thought that the room was of a good size and bright and clean.
If ever you require accommodation in Edinburgh again you will always be welcome here.
Kind regards;