Pilrig House
$111
$101
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdebbie and philipthought of everythingliving roomwithin walking distancedecanterwhiskeyhostsscotlandlinensapartmentcomfortamenitiesslipperspubs
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My friend and I traveled to the UK for a month this past summer and stayed at three different rental homes. We spent 9 days, in the middle of our trip, at Pilrig House. Unfortunately (wink, wink), the standards set by the hosts of this particular place spoiled us terribly and made the two other rentals pale by comparison. All of the raves and effusive comments written by every one of the reviewers here are 100% accurate, and so I won’t repeat all the merits about the apartment, its location, comfort, etc. What everyone else said: All True!

Instead, I’d like to write about the remarkable personal care and attention of Phillip and (in our particular case) Debbie. Others have remarked at great length about their consideration, but this really was something else. In the middle of my stay I needed to see a doctor and emailed Debbie at night to ask for a recommendation. She phoned immediately to ask if I needed any OTC medicine or assistance. She offered to phone her clinic at 8 the next morning, and made an appointment for me. She drove us there at the appointed time, and was there when we came out afterwards. I needed to go to a larger hospital across town and she drove us there. Because hospitals only accept cash from non-residents, and the second hospital visit was unexpected, I wasn’t sure if I had enough. Debbie, without batting an eye, stopped at an ATM and withdrew from her bank the daily limit, handing me an envelope of £350. Can you IMAGINE? I was just flabbergasted, and I continue to tell the story. On a day of great stress and worry, Debbie was a rock of kindness and comfort. Above and beyond, indeed! There are so many more stories of their thoughtfulness and generosity [a surprise, and very generous, birthday gift & card, left on the front steps one morning; the loan of a GPS--the car rental co. wanted £15 a day for it; secretly helping my sister-in-law in Florida plan a BIG birthday surprise for me in Edinburgh, before I’d even arrived... and MORE], but you’ll see this all for yourself when you come to stay at their lovely apartment. I envy you that...

ps. Oh, and one more thing to add... The front door of the house, pictured in the main photo, is YOUR front door, exclusively. How exciting that was! Not even sure where the other inhabitants of the house enter and exit, but it made us feel very special, walking out of that door, down those steps and out into the beautiful park in front of it every day. Lovely!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank japanlyn
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We recently stayed at the Pilrig House for 3 nights. It was exceptional and the attention to detail was extraordinary. We found this property on Trip Advisor and it far exceeded our expectations. From the milk and ice in the refrigerator to the stocked apples, oranges, tea and coffee items it was impressive. For our first visit abroad this was perfect. We also enjoyed talking to our hosts, Debbie and Philip, and following their recommendations for restaurants and food choices. It was a great base for exploring other areas as well and convenient for a hike up a monroe in the Highlands!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife and I, along with another couple, shared a flat for just over a week. The place was great. Plenty of room. Wonderful amenities. Very comfortable. Our host was more than welcoming, providing us with plenty of information and recommendations. The flat is well stocked with everything you would need. I have stayed at several self-catering properties on past trips. This was by far the best. I would definately recommend this location to others and if we're everback in Edinburgh, will definately book it again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This well-appointed and well-situated self catering unit is the best city unit I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world! The owners are attentive to your every need, even supplying milk, whiskey, cookies, tea, coffee, and more for your arrival. The kitchen is amazingly well supplied with cooking utensils, pots, pans, glassware, and more. The bed was most comfortable, and the bathroom very clean and usable. Well stocked with the latest CDs, books of fiction, non-fiction, and travel, maps, and a guest past to the Scottish Malt Whiskey Society. Local transportation easy to reach, this unit is located overlooking Pilrig Park and is delightful in every way. Debbie and Phillip went out of their way to insure our visit was memorable and that we knew everything we wanted to know about the environs, Edinburgh, and beyond. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had booked the Garden Appartment for a 4 night stay in Edinburgh. We really wanted self catering rather than a hotel and wanted to be within walking distance of the Edinburgh highlights, Pilrig House certainly ticked all the boxes.

From the minute we arrived at Pilrig our hosts could not have been more helpful. We had texted Debbie to let her know when we were arriving and she was waiting at the window looking out for us as we pulled up in the carpark! We found her very welcoming and she gave us lots of information about the accommodation, nearby faciltities etc. I happened to mention it was our wedding anniversery the following day and as we were unpacking our luggage from the car Debbie arrived back at our door with a bottle of Champagne, which was absolutely lovely and very much appreciated!

The accommodation was perfect, lovely and comfortable with absolutely everything you needed, we really could not fault anything and would definitely recommend Pilrig House to our friend and family.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple