“Disgusted”
Review of Ellwyn Hotel

Ellwyn Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ellwyn Hotel
Ranked #324 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I used to live in Edinburgh and knew this hotel well or so I thought!!!i had never stayed before but had meals and drinks.
I booked this for 1 night a twin room as I had to stay in Edinburgh with my mother, she knew the hotel and it was also going to be a trip down memory lane for us both.
We were given a key for room at check in, never in my many years of travelling have experienced such an old very cold, shabby, dirty tired room. Wallpaper hanging off walls, I would not have even showered there, mouldy. We asked for a different room, it was bigger but again it was awful, I doubt the beds/mattresses have ever been changed since the 60's, no mattress protectors either. We did not stay. It's also sad that on arrival we were neither shown rooms just told to carry cases upstairs, my mother in her 70's left to it, I would not call that a welcome at all. I spent many years in this hotel in the 70's, I even worked on the bar, sad that it seems to have extended their food and drink side but the rooms have never been updated. I will never go back. Certainly not Scottish hospitality!

Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank caz226

Reviewed October 20, 2013

we went as a group of ladies to catch up on family.
The lunch was nice with huge portions. I had the scampi with salad which had everything one could want in it.
Prices very reasonable, and service good.
I didn't really see much of the small hotel near Portobello. The small bar was at the frontand the conservatory was at the rear with gardens and benches outside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night and thank goodness it wasn't for any more. The bathroom was very much in need of an update with a grotty stained carpet and mouldy shower. The bedroom again was like something from the seventies and very basic. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in - very hard with springs digging in me all night. It was so dirty that we couldn't bear the thought of staying for breakfast and left as soon as we woke up. I would absolutely not recommend a stay in this hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen H
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We recently visited Edinburgh for the new year for my daughters birthday. The Ellwyn was a great little hotel with bags of character and situated just a five min bus ride to princess street. Great price for our large family room. The staff made us feel very welcome and the hotel bar was a fantastic taste of local Scotland with lots of characters using it as their local bar it was great.
Thanks guys for a great little break that was unforgettable and affordable we will definitely be back thanks again
Matt

Room Tip: Just ask they will accommodate.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The Hotel is a must. I have not been to Scotland if I do not stay in the Ellwyn Hotel.
The staff make the property and visit desirable. I would not stay anywhere else in Edinburgh.
It is easy to get to and the parking is ample. Right in front of the building. Great neighborhood with shops, cleaners, supermarkets. The bar has a nice selection of beer.
Public transportation is handy.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank greensburg1962
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We drove past and saw what looked like a cute B&B and decided to stay as we could park right outside. Parking in Edinburgh not easy lol. We couldn't find anyone to book in, finally found a lady who was serving behind the bar, she apologised, short of staff that day. She was very nice and gave us a reasonably priced room for the night including breakfast. The room was clean, but the bed was so very uncomfortable (Room 1). Everytime you moved the springs sprung!!! Please get a new mattress for this room, seriously. Their was a view outside of a very messy roof top, wouldn't take much to sweep it out and put a couple of nice pot plants out their, would make a world of difference, and some curtains that fit the window. Breakfast was served by a man who cooked the meal, no choice given, just cereal or full cooked. We left in the morning no one was there to say goodbye. There was no friendly personal service here, perhaps they needed some more staff. A very ordinary place.

Room Tip: Make sure to sit on the bed before taking the room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at the Ellwyn for 3 nights, we had booked a double room with a travel cot and on arrival they had given us a family room. It was bright and spacious (could have been a bit more modern with decor etc) but it had everything we could have required. Clean, bright and spacious. They gave us a travel cot but were able just to put the little one into a bed of his own. Plenty tea / coffee etc which was replenished daily, very helpful, cheery staff and a huge breakfast that kept us going all day. Very reasonable priced and well worth the money. Would definately stay again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family