Review Highlights
Incredible Introduction to Scotland

Without a doubt, Helen is one of the best guides we've ever had. She has a genuine talent for... read more

Reviewed December 3, 2018
ctvoyager25
Finding family and so much more

Reviewed July 5, 2018
ckprell
Concord, California

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from $22.00
from $45.29
from $51.76
from $15.53
More Info
All reviews blair castle trip to scotland cringletie house personal tour enjoy tea b bs day tour outlander series scottish food glen coe isle of skye loch ness history of scotland harry potter helen fraser interests
Selected filters
Reviewed July 5, 2018

Spent 3 days with Helen. Day one was following our ancestors from Kirriemuir,driving by the old homestead and visiting a cemetery and found an ancestor! What a wonderful surprise. The many castles and vistas are all unique interesting and such marvels. The coast side is my personal favorite but the hills are also something to behold. And of course afternoon tea was such a lovely treat. Helen offers many wonderful suggestions. Thank you so much.

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed July 1, 2018

Please disregard 2star review referencing the "afternoon tea bus" by Trinilynni. This is not a bus tour company!

This is the way to see Scotland. Helen is a private tour guide and will take you around in her own car. We did 2 day tours with Helen while in Edinburgh. We had so much fun, so many laughs and learned so much about the culture of Scotland. So lovely to experience Scotland with someone who is so passionate about her country. Our tour to St Andrew's was my mother-in-law's favorite day of our vacation-customized to her abilities and interests. If you are looking for a tour of Scotland be it a day or longer-please consider afternoontea tours with Helen. She can take into account the weather, suggest best use of time and plan itinerary with your involvement. Look no farther-an absolute delight!

Reviewed June 19, 2018

I was considering making a trip to Scotland and I got rave reviews of Afternoon Tea Tours from a neighbor of mine. My sister (61), father (88) and myself (63) booked a tour with Helen and created an itinerary with her help (myself and sister were interested in the beautiful sights that were used as set for the Outlander series and my father, a Mason, was interested in the Knights Templar.) During our tour Helen took pains to make sure that we all got what we wanted. Our itinerary could be adjusted if necessary to accommodate my father and contingency plans were devised for inclement weather. Helen's car was comfortable, clean, and had the capacity for the luggage of 4 people. Helen was very determined that we learned about the Scottish culture and people. We loved the country and the kind, generous, easy going and patient Scottish people we met. We were able to relax and enjoy the country because the driving was done capably by Helen. Any difficulties we encountered were taken care of by Helen. I can not say enough goods things about Afternoon Tea Tours because not enough space. I highly recommend Afternoon Tea Tours and I plan to visit Scotland again in the future and tour with Helen again!

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed June 17, 2018 via mobile

The title of this review can also be applied to the hostess herself! This was our second tour with Helen (the first time was for 8 days in 2013). Scheduling conflicts resulted in a shorter trip with her this time around, but her enthusiasm for her job and Scotland has not wavered in the least.

Don’t let the name Afternoon Tea Tours fool you into thinking it’s just for afternoon tea. Yes, she knows THE most amazing places to enjoy tea in Scotland, but Helen can create a tour WITH you that caters to the types of things you’d like to see and do around Scotland.

When we met her at our hotel in Edinburgh, my husband and I were instantly reminded of Helen’s passion for her homeland of Scotland and her generosity with guests in making each adventure special. Although we have kept in touchi via social media, it was wonderful to catch up in person.

Our first stop was Glamis Castle then we traveled north through Helen’s home town of Forfar and the Valley of Strathmore where we were greeted by beautiful farm country with fields of rapeseed, grazing Angus cattle and blooming Hawthorne trees. All being narrated by a lovely Scottish accent.

The remote ruins of Dunnottar Castle was our next stop. My husband and I are not big walkers or hikers and Helen tamed it down for our benefit as we navigated the many stairs and rock steps to and from the castle. I’m sure if she had done it without us, she would have finished it much quicker.

Helen made arrangements for our B&B for the night and we enjoyed a lovely dinner with her after checking in. Helen surprised us with some personalized gifts that were very sweet and thoughtful. But then that’s just Helen — sweet and thoughtful and always adding a personal touch. The more you get to know Helen and the more you share, the better she’ll make your experience. Trust her.

The next day we visited Balmoral Castle and it was the first time Helen has ever been, so it was a treat for us to share that first-time experience with her.

Although this tour was far too short, many thanks to Helen for her hospitality, friendship, and touring expertise. We are blessed to know her and we highly recommend her to our friends and strangers alike. You won’t regret it. It’s like having a Scottish relative show you around, not a canned tour bus trip that leaves you at attractions and destinations for a few minutes before moving on to the next.

So, the next time you want to enjoy Scotland, why not leave the driving to someone else (the cost of a rental car can often times be more expensive, and you can miss so much) and enjoy the sights, sounds, and smells that only Scotland can give you. Afternoon Tea Tours is a fantastic option!

Reviewed June 15, 2018

We loved our Scotland Highland adventures led by Helen Fraiser! We enjoyed Glen Coe, looked for Nessi at Loch Ness, checked out the ruins of Urquhart Castle, and the activity of Blair Castle, visited the battlefield of Culloden along with a fantastic history lesson, took the train over the Harry Potter viaduct and then my son hung with a few friends who were also visiting Scotland while Helen took me to Rosslyn Chapel (for you DaVinci code buffs) and tea at Cringletie House. Helen was FANTASTIC! Everyone knew Helen. Helen showed us the "REAL" Scotland, introduced us to the people of Scotland and educated us to the history of Scotland. She arranged for wonderful B & Bs! As we drove to different destinations in Helen's car we received great history lessons. Helen was very flexible as we would see little bookstores that we would want to stop and visit. All of our meals were planned to reflect the experience and the tastes of Scotland. It was completely WONDERFUL!!!! I am ready to move from Ohio to Scotland and I am referring everyone that I know to Helen.
Sarah Rice