“Had a great time”
Review of Sakura House

Sakura House
Ranked #361 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Margaret was really nice to was after Booking.com canceled our reservations and we arrived in Edinburgh at night without a place to stay. She found a room for us, gave us great advice of places to eat and was very sweet with everything. The b&b is very nice, with clean rooms and the best showers we've seen on our entire travel. The localization is also great, a bus trip away from all the turist points on the city. The wifi doesn't work all the time on the rooms, but it doesn't matter. I'll definitely stay there again if I return to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed with my partner for Hogmanay, we booked in Apr last year through a hotel search site, fortunately it allowed us to book for 1 night rather than the minimum stay of 2 or 3 nights that other places were charging due to the New Year.

We gave them a call in Oct to confirm our booking and was given piece of mind when we spoke to the proprietor who confirmed we'd slipped through the minimum stay net but that she would honour our booking.

We got to the B&B which was located about 20mins walk from town about 4ish and was shown to our room, it was a basic twin room (my fault for messing up the booking) but were both adults so it wasn't that much of a big deal, the single beds were clean and comfy and the room was spacious, a few extension leads and wires were across the floor but they were clearly visible and without them the TV and kettle would of been next to our headboards due to where the sockets were located.

All in all both me and my partner were very happy with the accommodation and with the hostess who was very nice and welcoming. There were plenty of chain hotels in and around town but it was nice to take a walk out of town and stay somewhere a little more personal.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We arrived at the B&B and on entering the property you could see that it was not the cleanest of places!! We got shown to our room which was an ensuite with twin beds, the only room with an ensuite all the other rooms had showers etc in a separate room next to them. The room was really dusty and needed a good clean. The towels provided looked like they were purchased 20 years ago and well used! The worse part was the ensuite, it had mould and black dirt all over the shower and the sink and toilet were not much better!!! Thank god we didnt stay in the room for too long each day. It also states free wi fi but as we were down in the basement we could not pick up a signal!
We only saw the owner on arrival and then checking out!
The only good point was it was walking distance to places.
I would not stay there again unless someone came in and cleaned the place up!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at Sakura in 2005 for 20 days and I have very fond memories of the place and Margaret (owner). We were a group of 6 people and we were accommodated very nicely across different rooms - some of which were ensuite and some had a private bath outside the room. The rooms, corridor and kitchen were all very clean and location (just off the Newington road) was excellent. At that time, Margaret used to have a huge collection of VHS movies which she used to let us for no charge. Sometimes we used her kitchen as well to make odd meals and she never objected.

In between our stay, the entire place was booked by a group of magicians (which I think is an annual fixture during Sep-Oct) for 2-3 days so Margaret went out of the way to get us accommodated in another bed and breakfast. Thank you Sakura and Margaret for such lovely memories.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank anujzzz
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked a double room with en-suite for two nights to go to the Edinburgh Tattoo, we were ushered into the basement to a dark room with a small window and two single beds. The place was not clean although the proprietor did say she had not made up the room yet, but this was dirt that was from days of use not just a couple of days. The so called en-suite was just a cupboard and it reeked of damp. We had booked this through Travel Republic and I have reported this. I paid them £120.00 per night but the proprietor told me that her price was £80.00 but I would not have given you £8.00 per night. So far I have not received an apology from Travel Republic, their response was that they booked this through Late Rooms and I can't understand why as I booked this on the 12th December for the 15th August so why use Late Rooms other than to charge £40.00 commission. The only saving grace was that Maggie did say to try elsewhere and did not seem to mind that we did not want to stay. We eventually booked into a wonderful hotel called The Glenalmond Hotel which was about 1/2 mile further out of town in Mayfield Gardens,but with a bus right outside, the rooms were beautiful and the breakfast was fantastic and this only cost £90.00 for the two of us.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pauline S
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have stayed in sakura house a number of times and have always enjoyed staying there.
It is basic but clean and Margaret the owner is very friendly and helpfull.It is only a short
bus ride from Princess St and you can walk it in 20 mins.Margaret brings your breakfast
to your door.If you are looking for value you cant beat this place.Alan from Glasgow.

Room Tip: Some rooms are ensuite and some are shared or sole use.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank riddrie
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Come up from Manchester and stayed weekend for a 64th birthday treat in a twin ensuite room. We arrived at Waverley Station and walked 25mns easy up the main street and Sakura is the first house in West Preston St, really easy to find. It is in a safe area with shops, restaurants etc. It is close to the walk up Arthurs Seat, walk to all the tourist attractions easy. Bus needed to the yacht Britannia. It is cheap to get a day ticket and have a ride around using the bus route map from tourist info (if you have time). Mad Maggie as she likes to be called is a very welcoming hands on proprieter. She helped us with directions and seemed dedicated to her job. Room clean and warm with tea and coffee making facilities with biscuits, tv with remote, hairdryer, two folding chairs and a table, chest of drawers and a cupboard where there was a fridge, storage and hanging room. Beds with full linen and comfortable, overbed lights and main light. There is a shower, handbasin, toilet, toilet rolls, towels, liquid soap and shower mat. Our basement room window looked onto the back garden. Maggie asks you on arrival what is your choice of breakfast and what time you want it. We booked for 8.10am and it came on time. Maggie brings it to the door on a tray and you open the folding chairs and table to eat. This kind of breakfast sitting was a first experience for us but we are campers so hey. The breakfast was brilliant, cereal, a yoghurt, croissant, jams/marmalade, cheese, butter, orange juice, toast, fresh fruit, and hot drink. It was good to be able to sit and watch the morning news and weather and also not to have to got all dressed up to go to a dining room (which there isn't). I found this a very relaxing start to the day and the breakfast kept us well full until about 1pm. There are single rooms and other family rooms which I believe have either a shared toilet/shower in the corridor outside the room or a key for your own private toilet outside the room. I suggest the best thing is to telephone her on 0131 668 1204 (number on her business card) and let her know what you want and she will explain. I told her I would write a review on here because I was really impressed with this budget bed and breakfast (we have been in some suspect places). We will be going back again. Thankyou Mad Maggie of Edinburgh from Linda and Jack.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple