“Very nice atmosphere, pizza / pasta and friendly service”
Review of La Piazza

La Piazza
Ranked #54 of 2,479 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: La Piazza,the home of authentic Italian cuisine.We believe in offering traditional Italian cuisine,in a modern, relaxed atmosphere.Our broad menu offers something irresistible for everyone.Whether you're looking for a romantic dinner for twoor organising a party for your friends,our front of house team will ensurethat you have a memorable evening with excellent,friendly and attentive service.
Melbourne, Australia
“Very nice atmosphere, pizza / pasta and friendly service”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My fiancé and I visited La Piazza recently on a Friday night. We have purchased an Itison voucher that got us two pasta’s, risotto’s or pizzas. As always, my reviews as based on the non voucher prices as the idea with vouchers is to get new customers in and keep them as regular customers.

The restaurant is actually quite a bit more up market than we were expecting. We were seated out the back section (would highly recommend requesting a spot there if you can) where is was presented by low lighting, flowers on the table (real) and nice pictures on the walls (without being tacky).

We started by ordering the wine. This was my one big problem with La Piazza, the price of the wine. We ordered a bottle for 19.95 that we have bought on special from Tesco for a fiver before (normal price 9.95 at the supermarket). Sure, the wine is very nice but I really object to being over charged for the privilege of having a bottle of wine at a restaurant.

We ordered a starter of the tomato, buffalo mozzarella, basil, olive oil) then My fiancé ordered one of there fresh pasta’s (sausage, truffle, red wine and mushroom sauce) and I had the vesuvio pizza (mozzarella, Bolognese sauce, pepperoni chili.)

The starter quickly arrived and was very tasty. The mozzarella was creamy to the point of almost turning into cream even though it was still cold, an excellent start. The only issue with the salad was we had a total of three leaves of basil. Why can’t restaurants realize that you need one leaf of basil per slice of tomato, which is that so hard?? But, it was very tasty.

Then the mains arrived. The fresh pasta was very nice but lacked a little flavor. We were expecting a little more punch from the red wine and porcini mushroom sauce but it was still very nice. The pizza was very good, nice crispy thin base, without being too crispy and load and load of flavor coming from the Bolognese sauce, pepperoni and the underlying tomato base and cheese. It was spicy without being anything that would be too much for 90% of people.

All in all we really enjoyed our dinner here. The service was attentive without being overbearing. For the food, it was a very tasty fresh salad with great quality of ingredients, nice fresh pasta (just lacking a little in punchy flavor), really nice pizza with loads of flavor, great quality ingredients and very nice, if somewhat expensive, wine.

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Darlington, England, United Kingdom
“Food was great but service was better ....”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Having nearly selected another restaurant for our meal in Edinburgh I am glad I turned to Trip Advisor ...

First of all I am not sure I would have selected this by walking by as it is in the middle of the disruption being caused by the new tram works.

However, as it was close to our hotel and recommended we reserved a table. The restaurant was certainly busy.

With some many risotti to choose from and not wanting a large main, we chose risotto's to start.

Although the Salmon was certainly better than the Prawn ... (just not enough taste)

Main courses were Sea Bass and Prawn and both were excellent.

The service though was excellent (although serving the olives with the starters was "different"), but they were attentive to water / wine etc without being noticeable, making for a very pleasant experience, especially as the restaurant was busy.

There are so many restaurants in Edinburgh that finding one close that offers great food and service should not be hard. Would this stand out from the crowd ... I am not sure it would, so well done Trip Advisor ...

Note the music in the background was certainly conducive to conversation and helped with the overall experience ... this was not a quiet meal for two ...

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Consistent excellence”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

As a family, we are frequent visitors to La Piazza and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent, the service very friendly (especially with the kids) and the overall atmosphere makes for a great occasion.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Friendly Italian in the West End of Edinburgh”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Although I walk past La Piazza on a regular basis, I hadn't actually eaten there until I made this booking on the back of a voucher deal. Sorry now that I haven't been in before now - staff were attentive and friendly, food was nice and a good selection of Italian pre-dinner cocktails. Nice spot if you are looking for a relaxed lunch or dinner in town.

Edinburgh
“JUST PERFECT”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

You want great Italian food, served in a fantastic restaurant by staff who know what they are talking about when you want to discuss a dish on the menu then this is the place for you.

There is no point in me saying what I had to eat, because I challenge anyone to leave this restaurant and not be completely satisfied that you have had one of your best Italian meals.

Once you have been there will be no turning back, this restaurant will become a regular place in your life.