“Wonderful Korean food”
Review of Shilla - CLOSED

Shilla
Cuisines: Korean
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Not having properly tried Korean before, I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I loved this place! It's a little tricky to find but worth the walk, and was busy even on a tuesday night so I'd reccomend making a reservation. They give you seaweed, beansprouts and potatoes to nibble while you wait, although the cold potatoes were not to my taste, the other two people I was with enjoyed them! We had some starters including dumpings and chicken skewers, and although they were delicious, you didn't get a lot- 2 skewers and 3 dumplings! Don't try and order one to share as we usually do when ordering something like dumplings.

For mains I had the spicy pork, which is also available with added squid. It was spicy indeed! But the kind of spicy where you taste the spices, not just the heat. It came with sticky rice and both were intensely delicious- I would eat it again and again. The pork was really thinly sliced and you got loads of it unlike the starters. Some of the mains were a bit too pricey for me, the specials being around the £15 mark- but there are plenty of dishes under £10 still on the main menu. My partner tried the korean rice punch, which he liked but I thought just tasted weird!

The only downsides I'd say about this place is that the service is, if not slow, a bit too relaxed. Don't come here if you have a deadline to leave at! Also it was pretty cold, even though the place was full of people. Overall though, I am desperate to visit again! Next time we are in Edinburgh this will be the first place on our list to eat.

Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Went there for a works do. Food was good, the service very good and atmosphere relaxed. Really flavoursome food, though not one for those who dislike spices. Where it says H on the menu its not being understated. Would definitely go again.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

A nice little restaurant in the cellar, not easy to find. Me and my daughter wish to try something different Asian for dinner insead of Thai and Chinese, this little restaurant was very positive experience, the hot pot food was delicious and big portions! We were so full of main meal, that did not have space for any dessert. Good value for money, too. Friendly staff.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently visited Shilla with some workmates for lunch and I have to say I can't way to go back. This was my first experience of Korean cuisine and I was not disappointed.

Whilst I cannot remember all the names, I can tell you to try numbers 16 and 17 as well as the beef teriyaki.

A lovely little restaurant that should be enjoyed by all.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I went to Shilla with friends, i thought the food and service was really good.
The place itself was a little cold, need to get that heating fixed!!
I would defo go back as my friends food looked really good.