“Lovely contemporary seafood restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Fish - CLOSED

Cafe Fish
Cuisines: Seafood, Mediterranean, Spanish, British, Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: Scottish Seafood Restaurant of the Year 2012 After two really successful years in Edinburgh's old port district, Leith, we've moved to larger premises up town, on the Newtown Stockbridge border. Still doing the same - 100% fresh, seasonal fish and shellfish with a daily changing menu. Great selective wine list, a fab range of Bollinger champagnes, and a great space to dine in. 70 covers, open seven days April to October and Tuesday to Saturday November through until March, looking forward to seeing you!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely contemporary seafood restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

We visited Cafe Fish on a Saturday night and had a great dining experience. It's a restaurant that's very confident in itself and the quality of its offer. The staff are young smart and casual, dressed informally which entirely fits the ambience.
The menu is not extensive but what is there is beautifully cooked and presented. I had a malaysian fish soup starter followed by sea bream on pasta - every mouthful was delicious. My partner had smoked trout and cod - again, full of taste and flavour.
We finished with a glass of vintage port and coffee as we were a bit full for a dessert but the choices looked appetising too.
We would definitely go back next time we're in Edinburgh

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not A Contented Sole ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I visited Cafe Fish in Stockbridge for the first time last night. We'd booked the 5pm Dining Deal (well, it seemed a good idea at the time) which for the princely sum of £18 per head, gives you the choice of two courses from the Fixed Price menu, and is supposed to include a complimentary glass of prosecco. The prosecco may well be in the chill cabinet but I wouldn't know, because it was never offered; fresh bread and butter was, however, provided. The menu? Well, without being overly picky, let's just say that the choice of courses on the Fixed Price menu is uninspiring at best. In fact, we discarded this and decided to chose from the a la carte: to make things nice and simple, we both opted for Cafe Fish'n'Chips which is served with crushed peas and tartare sauce. It's got the Restaurant's name against it, so I'd opine that this, the signature dish, the most basic of Scottish fish dishes, should be to the highest standard, and it's not asking too much to expect that the kitchen will be able to produce this to perfection. Mmmm. Eh, no. It wasn't good at all: the fish was dry and (this may sound daft but it's true) too "fishy". I don't mind smelling the sea but I don't want to taste it. Also, the fish is rolled into something approaching a cube which means that you cut through a mountain of fish which is covered in only a thin layer of batter, and as a result there's too much fish and too little batter. Why do you and other restaurants persist with this? It's not aesthetically pleasing and fish should be served as it's taken from the water - flat. And apart from anything else, there's a higher risk that the centre of the "cube" of fish won't be cooked completely, as was the case yesterday evening. Alas, the batter too barely achieved pass marks because it was soft, tasteless and lacklustre. Batter should be flavoursome and above all, crisp and crunchy. The chips were chunky and well cooked. Crushed peas were good; the tartare sauce - iffy. The list of desserts was dull - the only one which might have been vaguely interesting was a Bramble Sorbet, but £5 for a scoop of Vanilla ice-cream, or a cheeseboard at £9 a head? Thank you, but no thank you. We settled the bill and left. I have no complaints at all about the staff or the service: all the waiting staff were very pleasant and the service was good. Cafe Fish offers a good wine list: we chose an excellent bottle of Gavi di Gavi and I'd recommend it to anyone. Unfortunately, Cafe Fish in Stockbridge suffers the same fate as other resturants which have opened in former Bank premises; there's more atmosphere on the moon, and modern accoutrements in a big old room, such as spot lights and suspended lamps, simply look out of place. High ceilings, too, make it more like a school refectory and when the number of customers increased as the evening wore on, the noise level increased too. So, overall, not awful but, unhappily, not good either. Coming back place? Unlikely. Will somebody please bring back The Peacock at Newhaven??!! And in the meantime, if you want to taste a really very good plate of Fish'n'Chips, go to the Tail End on Leith Walk, Edinburgh, or Gandolphi Fish or Crabshack in Glasgow; for quality of food, taste and atmosphere, these are all superior in every way.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ian M
fishboss, Owner at Cafe Fish, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Hi, thanks for your response -just to pick up on a few issues that you raise The 5pm early tea offer included the glass of prosecco, you ate from the a la carte menu. We use Hake in our fish and chips as the customers say that the flesh is tastier and a better texture than haddock. We cut the portions from the top end of the filet just behind the head, that is the thickness of the filet rather than your reference to our "rolling" the fish although I'm not entirely sure what that preparation is. I'm sorry to disappoint you but fish are round, oval or torpedo shaped when they come out of the sea and become flat like the haddocks /whiting/coley in your local chippy when they have been filleted off the bone and then butterflied to keep the fish whole. There is the odd exception like soles and plaice and turbot which are flat fish. The batter we make is a beer batter, just thin enough to seal the fish from the oil and allow it to steam until cooked. Our customers have said that they prefer this rather than the thicker batters which do tend to absorb fat. The interior of the restaurant is one of the few examples in Edinburgh of an original art deco fit out that was commissioned by the old Bank of Scotland in the 30's. It is stunning and protected, although clearly not to everyones taste or liking. You're a fan of the Tail End, in Leith Walk which is a great chippy, you should try Franco's in Stockbridge I think it's better!!
Anstruther, United Kingdom
“Great Fish.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Was a Monday night we went and the food and staff were great.The starters were lovely i had Malaysian Soup,my husband had trout with all the trimmings.Main course i had Monkfish and Prawn curry,my husband had Mussels .The wine was also lovely we enjoyed a bottle of Alberino which was very good.It is our second visit,and next time we are visiting Edinburgh we will be back.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dundee, United Kingdom
“New menu, same amazing quality though”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Back once more to Café Fish which has become one of my favourite restaurants. Having eaten at way too many nice eateries over the years, as my waistline attest, I was a little surprised that CF had changed the menu so comprehensively given the food I've had before has always been excellent, however, my fears were quickly allayed!

I've raved about the curry that Café Fish make, so I figured a good shout would be the Bengali fish cakes to start, they were outstanding, I could have eaten a dozen of them.....and I might do just that next time I'm there! Very crisp with the filing spiced just right, the chutney relish really complimented the flavourful fishcakes.

I was so relieved to see the Scrabster cod was still on the menu with the lentils and pancetta that whilst I'd vowed to try something new on the menu, I simply had to have this as my main course. Twas spectacular, cooked just right and each mouthful went down a treat! We had demolished a bottle of Gavi half way through the meal and our waiter recommended a 1st Cru Chablis which I'd already noted on the wine list, so we went for this as our second bottle of plonk and he was spot on - great vino! We were kept hydrated with plenty of water and the atmosphere was again buzzing, restaurant was packed and I was glad I'd booked.

Was pretty full to be honest but couldn't resist the chocolate brownie, which I had, one of the other diners had the apple crumble and it too looked amazing...although by now the wine had taken it's inevitable effect and I was paying less attention.

Had a nice wee Lemoncello before we left, we weren't in a rush and finished our drinks and had a chat in nice surroundings.

Cannot recommend Café Fish enough, notice a couple of poor reviews from people who've only ever posted on this once - to complain about CF.....honestly don't get it at all. Have been in many a fine-dining restaurant and paid 5 times as much to be delivered half-as-good food, Café Fish is fresh, beautiful food served in a nice environment, with great service and at good value, what else could you ask for? I am sounding like I am on commission now.....actually, next time I am in I must tap them up for a discount!! :-)

• Visited October 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

We booked for 5.30pm on Saturday 13 October before a visit to the Playhouse and were hugely disappointed. The dated dinner menu listed a Tea Special which is only available from Monday to Friday, I really do not see the point in including it on a Saturday evening menu. For my main course I asked if the cod with puy lentils could be done without pancetta and I was told no as it was already prepared, no offer of an alternative was recommended. I then ordered the seafood chowder to start, whole sea bass for main with anchovies as an appetiser. The waiter then returned to our table and I was then advised that my chosen starter of seafood chowder would be unsuitable also as it was made with bacon, to a traditional French recipe apparently, so I hastily rechose a start of tuna. The standard anchovies took about 15 minutes to arrive, the tuna was totally overpowered by chilli and the sea bass was ok. My husband likened his 3 cod cakes to fish pakora and his fish and 8 chips was average. I echo another review in that the tartare sauce was very sweet which was strange. Service was very poor, verging on brusque, the restuarant was cold which the minimalist styling does not lend itself too. I was only sorry we hadn't eaten in The Bailie pub just down the road. Inc a bottle of ok red the bill was £70. We will not be back and will certainly not recommend cafe fish.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Ali M
fishboss, Owner at Cafe Fish, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Hi, we remember your table early on Saturday evening and we're sorry that your experience was not up to scratch - The puy lentils and pancetta garnish are lightly stewed hence the reason they couldn't be served individually, but I agree we should have picked up the chowder connection!! The tuna with chilli received fantastic comments although I also appreciate that the combination may not to everyone's taste - the Bengali style cod cakes do hold many of the same spices as a pakora's do as you would expect, although the texture is clearly different. The third column on the menu does hold some information on other menu"s that we provide, such as early dinner, wine dinners, christmas, and sunday lunch, I'm not sure what your issue is with that?