“Exquisite food by Paul Kitching, beautifully served”
Review of 21212 Restaurant

21212 Restaurant
Ranked #230 of 2,731 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French, British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: Only Michelin Starred Restaurant with Rooms in Edinburgh
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We had a wonderful meal in 21212. The food by Paul Kitching was exquisite, exciting and innovative. The service was excellent and the ambience completely relaxed - The chefs who could be seen in the open kitchen went about their work in a calm and professional manner. We also stayed in one of the luxury bedrooms which we found to be extremely comfortable and stylish and the view across the city towards Leith and beyond was fantastic.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

Our weekend at 21212, (we stayed in one of the 5* rooms upstairs) was perfect in every way. The food was the obvious attraction and it did not disappoint. It was all we hoped for and more. Clever, fun, daring and of course delicious, each course (there were 6) is served exquisitely in an A-symmetric white bowl. The staff were attentive without being intrusive and are certainly knowledgable about the food- they get to taste each new menu. We opted to go with the wine recommendations on the menu for the latter courses and what fantastic flavours we tasted- each helping to compliment the food. We were facinated with the quiet and meticulous way Paul and his team work behind a glass screen creating his masterpieces. Refeshing to see a calm atmosphere- no Gordon Ramseys here thank God! The dining room is sumptuously decorated as is the sitting room upstairs where we relaxed with coffee and truffles after our dinner. Interior designers will leave with a few ideas- the butterflies just keep popping up!
Breakfast was equally good. Smoked salmon and caviar I could certainly get used to!

1  Thank elb0w
Reviewed October 9, 2010

OK, just to clarify I don't go to Michelin Star restaurants on a regular basis, in fact this the first one I have ever been to. A birthday treat from my husband. I was quite nervous as I had read the menu online before going and I am not fussy but the whole combination thing was a bit confusing.

Anyway we arrived early which was not a problem we were the first in the restaurant. A refurbished Victorian house which I believe cost about £4m + to upgrade, it has been done to a very high standard. We were seated in a window seat, side by side looking out onto the whole restaurant (which may I add only seats 38 people) I felt a bit awkward at first but the staff were very down to earth, very friendly and soon put me at ease.

We were offered water and a pre-dinner drink as soon as we arrived, and the menu arrived. Again, confusing but very interesting and I was quite excited to see what would come. The menu follows the name of the restaurant with 2 choices of starters; followed by soup; followed by 2 choices of main courses; cheese; and 2 choices for dessert. All the food was executed to the highest standards. It was stunningly presented and tasted divine!. Now if you have a hearty appetite you might find it all a bit much as the portion sizes are small, but they did not compromise on flavour or style.

My only complaint of the whole night is get rid of the pre-dessert milk drink it came served in a cow shaped china milk jug and little paper cups that you get your wine sample in in Oddbins. Very tacky and not needed and it kinda spoiled my whole experience.

We were then served coffee in similar but larger paper cups (supposedly it is meant to keep the coffee warmer for longer) After spending alot of money on decor, crockery, cutlery etc please splash out on china for my cuppa!!!.

All in all a fab night, food 10/10 wine 10/10 staff 10/10 just loose the paper cups please!!!

Reviewed October 7, 2010

After having chosen The Kitchin and Martin Wishart for our previous "special occasion" dinners, my husband and I had dinner at 21212 last night for my birthday. The meal was delicious, and we felt it was certainly the best Michelin one-starred restaurant in the city. The food was creative, original, tasty, and beautifully presented. The service was also very friendly and the atmosphere comfortable and not overly stuffy. We would certainly come back again to see what they offered in a different season.

Reviewed October 1, 2010

went at easter earlier this year
brilliant staff attentive and friendly
magnificent decor
had been worried about limited choice but no need
everything was super well prepared complicated sounding descriptions but everything hangs together so well
the layered soup was my best dish of the year so far
no minuses at all other than it was all over so quick
this is as good as it gets

1  Thank whoopsidoneitagain