“Fantastic lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tapa

Tapa
Ranked #54 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: No matter where you are in Spain, a moments walk from the main tourist traps will almost always immerse you in the hustle and bustle of real Spanish life- busy bars and restaurants full of animated discussions conducted over fresh, homemade food. With this in mind, we selected our home of 19 Shore Place as the perfect venue to recreate this wonderful ambiance in Edinburgh.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Tapa is a lovely restaurant. The decor is great, the restaurant is very clean and all the fixtures and fittings are good quality. We particularly like going at lunchtime for the Chef's Selection - a plate of 6 different dishes for only £10 per couple. On our most recent visit this included patatas bravas, a chicken dish, meatballs, aubergine crisps, chorizo paella and calamari! It was fantastic. Staff are always friendly and efficient too.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Siobhan M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Scotland
“Unusually very poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Eat here quite often but have noticed the standard of service is declining. Food still very good, but last night we waited 25mins for our plates to be cleared. Then we were given the menus to choose a sweet and after a further 15mins wait for someone to take our order we gave up. Had to eventually go to the bar to get the bill. Very poor considering restaurant was quiet.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HardWorkerScotland
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great place - hidden away in keith”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Been here several times when in Edinburgh, atmosphere and food always good. Staff friendly and great selection of food. Recommend the meatballs and the squid.

1 Thank Paulbearuk
“Not authentic at all.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have been on the hunt for a decent Spanish tapas in Edinburgh for a while with Tapa being my latest trial after a number of others. I have to say I was a little disappointed overall. The food is not authentic at all - having a Spanish wife and me being a very keen cook of Spanish cuisine I have a bit of inside knowledge. I had gambas (greasy and not fresh), patatas bravas (the spicy tomato sauce I'm sure is out of a packet), croquettas (almost positive they were frozen with 1% chicken) chorizo (incredibly fatty and cut..weird. god knows what they really were :/ ), calamares (the one saving grace!), lamb (okay..but not really tender enough) and whitebait that I'm sure was old. Fresh fish shouldn't smell as strongly as these did even when cooked.

While the service was okay the food was a let down along with the atmosphere and general 'feel' of the place. The tables, chairs, crockery, cutlerly and tableware look and feel very cheap. The place doesn't feel welcoming or warm at all and to be honest, I didn't feel comfortable or at ease. I wanted to leave as soon as possible.

Mortal sin - spelling and grammatical errors on your menu. That puts me right off - if you can't get the first point of contact right, what chance does the food have?

I'm very disappointed overall. We spent £50 for 2 adults and a child and it was definitely not worth it by any stretch.

Why can't Edinburgh come up with a decent and genuinely authentic Spanish Tapas Restaurant? None of the 6 I've tried so far are remotely close serving up dishes as authentic as a protestant Pope. Yet, everyone says the food is excellent. These places are giving the Spaniards a bad name fobbing off customers with poor food as 'authentic'.

Such a shame.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MartinDomino
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Excellent friendly restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have only ever been here with a group of friends and family and all I can say is excellent service, delicious food and the most hospitable of hosts. Food is fresh and very tasty, the staff are very knowledgeable and were able to advice us on a suitable menu. Overall brilliant!

• Visited September 2012