“Great Customer Service from Blossom Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blossom House

Blossom House
Ranked #164 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London
“Great Customer Service from Blossom Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

Absolutely enjoyed my stay in Edinburgh. Lovely city and lovely people.

This was further amplified by having a brilliant time at the Blossom GH. Accommodation was very swish and the staff bent backwards to make me feel more comfortable. Thanks guys!

Nathan ;)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nathan S
EdinburghBlossom, Guest Relations Manager at Blossom House, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Nathan,
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh. It is a beautiful city with so much to offer visitors. Thank you for your comments and hope to see you again soon.
Kind Regards,
Khadija

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Saltburn-by-the-sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Booked the stay online for 3 nights and was very clearly informed that no payment would be taken off the card, and that payment could be made at either check-in or check-out. (sTILL HAVE THE PRINTED CONTRACT)
The girlfriend booked the stay on this basis, using her card to 'hold the room' only as we were paying by cash when we were there. This sounded fine and the reviews were ok.

However, the problems started the day before check-in when they phoned my GF to tell her they were taking full payment off the card as they have had a few cancellations, although my GF said they couldn’t do this, they had already done it and she could do nothing to stop them.

Having travelled 3 hours, we arrived at approx 1330 hoping this was just a mistake and that the money would be refunded as we were paying by cash (that was in my wallet) only to find out that the money had actually been removed from my girlfriends card at 1030 that morning.

After a little too and frowing with the owner asking for the money to be refunded as we were paying cash on departure as the contract stated we could do, he refused to refund the money on to the card. When I asked him if he was bothered that my GF had incurred charges and that we weren’t happy, all he could say was 'NO'.

I actually phoned the no emergency police number to ask my rights as he had taken the money off the card without permission only to be informed that it was not a police matter, only in the meantime for him to call the police on me.

So before we had checked in the whole 4 day break had been ruined for my girlfriend.
Even the police were saying that he shouldn’t be taking money before we arrived as he hadn’t even given us chance to get there, and the review that I was going to put on here wouldn’t be a good review for business.

I was forced to pay the money upfront in cash and he to refund the money on my GF card whilst the police were present as I did not trust him to refund the money on the card once he had my cash also. To be clear I am 41 my GF is ** (she would kill me), we are both professional people and have never experienced anything like this before.

If you use this Guest house, please be sure you wish to have your funds taken out of your account at any time that suits them after booking. Also we felt very at ease knowing that we had all our stuff in the room whilst we were out most of the day, so were slightly forced to be polite in a way.

As for the place, well the smell of curry was overbearing to the point we had to cover our nose for the 2 flights of the very tight stairs to the room. Once in the room the word pokey was an understatement. As for the breakfast I went down twice and it was ok, nothing special but edible. The dining room/ conservatory was clean and well presented for what it was.

When I asked for an iron, I was informed that I would have to do it at the reception desk at the bottom of the stairs as they don’t allow irons it in the room. Well sorry that was one thing I insisted was happening, I am not going to stand and iron in the reception area.

Location was amazing, 1 mile from princess street on the bus, it took less than 10 mins for £3.00 return. All day pass is £3.50 which is even better.

I think that customer service when things go wrong is absolutely appalling and I would very much advise you not to stay here. They were only concerned about the money and nothing else.

VERY MUCH RUINED THE WEE BREAK FOR MY BIRTHDAY.......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
EdinburghBlossom, Manager at Blossom House, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Sir,
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Our aim is to ensure our guests feel at home not only in our guest house but also in our beautiful city.

However your review is not very accurate. Your card was indeed charged on the day of arrival to confirm it was valid. This was to ensure the room was held for you regardless of what time you arrived. If your card had been invalid the room could not have been held for you. A full refund was offered and given at the time. Normally a minimum of one nights deposit is charged on the day of booking. Guests are welcome to pay the balance on arrival by cash or card. At no point was your girlfriend called, as you claim. If you check your booking form you will note we do not have a record of her telephone number. Your booking form also states 'check with the hotel policy on payment'. Some booking agencies take full payment at the time of booking.

When you arrived you were so hostile and aggressive WE had to call in the police. It was clear to both the police and ourselves that you were angry because you had no intention of paying. You admitted in front of the police that the transaction had you overdrawn and you did not have the full cash to pay. As the police informed you, it was not our fault your girlfriend did not have money in her account. Why reserve a room if you are unable to pay for it?

Incidentally this was the first time in over 15 years that we have had to call in police to deal with rowdy guests.
Regards,
Kay

When you arrived you and your girlfriend were so hostile WE had to call the police in. We have not done that in over 15 years. We were going to have you removed from the property, but we took pity on you. You claimed you wished to pay using cash as your card was overdrawn. We offered you a full refund plus a discount as a goodwill gesture, despite your aggressive attitude. The police practically made you pay as it was obvious to them, as it was to us that you intended to stay and leave without paying. You admitted in front of the police that you did not have either money on card or on you.
Worthing, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, nice friendly people, very obliging, room comfortable and clean,good bus service into town, a quiet house, only downfall was breakfast, the full English was poor no bacon only horrible sausage what there was were very small portion

Room Tip: must ask for en-suit. Not all rooms are en-suit
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank statherat
Valletta, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my friends and family.I had room an en-suite which was good,very good breakfast.Very nice people.It is not far to go in center by the bus,very good breakfast many have to choose nice back garden my daughter enjoyed the trampoline.I recommend to stay in it they very nice people and cosy guest house.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tipperary, Tipperary, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

stayed here in blossom with my husband for 3 nights,we booked a double room only small double room was available and it was small for sure bearly room to leave our cases on the floor ,but we didn't mind really as we didn't spend much time in the room just at night ,we had an en-suite which was good ,breaskfast was good with cereal,tea ,coffee, toast, yogurts,juice,s,and a small fry if wanted.breakfast was from 8 to 9 which was a bit of a pain having to get up early when on hols,owners very nice people box of chocolates on our bed to greet us which was a nice gesture,the only thing I was not happy about was we stayed 3 nights and had to use the same towels as fresh towels were not supplied,excellent bus service just across the road ,check out is ten but the manager allowed us to leave our bags there until four that evening as our flight was not until that night ,would return to blossom again.

Room Tip: avoid the small double room on top floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have a huge bias towards Edinburgh - it is a great 'must see' city. The Blossom House is well placed about ten minutes walk to the south of the centre (Grassmarket, National Museum, Meadows etc.) on a main, but surprisingly quiet road. There is also parking if you ask to reserve it when you book. It is also only a short walk to Arthur's Seat and the Queen's Crags (it's a great walk along these to get to the bottom of the Royal Mile). We received a very friendly welcome, our room was spacious and comfortable, although the en-suite bathroom was tiny. The only real let down was the cooked breakfast - it is served in a lovely bright conservatory and there is a good choice of cereals, yogurts, pancakes etc. but it was strange variation on the 'full cooked' with no bacon, one rather odd sausage and pretty cheap tasteless bread. A simple change to improve these would make Blossom five star.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Located not so far to the Old Town (around 20 minutes walk), this guest house belongs to a very nice person. There are a lot of shops and restaurants along the street from the hostel to Old Town. We really enjoyed our visit!

• Stayed June 2013