“Excellent place to stay !” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blossom House

Blossom House
Ranked #164 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Paris
“Excellent place to stay !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

The room was very comfortable, it was all new, just redecorated. The place was quiet so we slepped well. The bus stop was just in front of the house, which was useful. And the people from the B&B were welcoming and helpful to me and my son ! I also enjoyed the cooked breakfast watching the garden in the glass room. There are shops and nice restaurants (like "the wild elephant", a very good thai restaurant) just around the corner.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanessa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

This is not a hotel which povides a cooked breakfast. Although I booked ensuite I had to wait 35 minutes to gain access to the communal toilet outside in the corridor.

No bacon at breakfast - TWICE - One uncooked tomato overcooked sausage and one egg. That was the total breakfast. No toast available, no milk for the coffee . When the milk eventually arrived coffee was cold.

Money demanded upfront -I wonder why !

When I complained about lack of bacon the response was "We cater for everyone" They certainly did not cater for me though.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Greenville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2012

I enjoyed spending a week at Blossom House for the second year. The rooms have been updated and the breakfast room was moved to the Conservatory. I took a friend on her first visit to Edinburgh. She loved the experience and the setting of Blossom House. Be prepared to eat a big breakfast (choices include: eggs cooked to order, sausage, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, toast, juices, fruit, cereal, and great coffee). I am sure I left out something. I hope to return in the future to Edinburgh, and I will stay at Blossom House.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side have a wonderful view of Authur's Seat, an extinct volcano.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bonnie F
Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012

My friend and I spent six nights at Blossom House during spring break. We were delighted with the room, breakfast and over-all service. My friend had stayed here before, and I was pleased to find the accommodations as good as she had described.
Our room was clean and well-appointed. The breakfast each day was wonderful--coffee, juices, milk, cereal, fruit, yogurt and toast available plus a hot breakfast of eggs and sausages. In fact, we had to ask to have half portions since the full portions were too much for us.
We were in walking distance to the center of town plus on the bus line, and we also found good places to eat as well as other services--a really great wash and fold laundry that did a big shopping bag of clothes for 9 Pounds--pharmacy, post office and more close by.
The proprietors were great in every way--especially in helping us arrange our Highlands tour, the local tours, transportation to the rail station as we left.
Great price and great value.

Room Tip: Remember, this is a Guest House (or Bed and Breakfast) and not a hotel with lift, room service and s...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Betty C
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for four nights during the new year festivities as well as for sightseeing and eating great food. It is located about a 15 minute walk from the main station and we walked almost everyday into the centre. There are also regular bus services with a stop just outside. The staff is very friendly and can answer most questions you have. You just need to ask. We arrived at 10am, which is four hours earlier than advertised, however this was no problem and the staff was very helpful, in stark contrast to hotels where check in times usually are very non-changable.

To our surprise the room was just recently refurbished and very fresh, modern and clean. It looked like a four star hotel room! There was a queen size bed and an ensuite with both shower and toilet, it was apparent that this wasn't the case for all rooms so ask for room number one! The room was cleaned and the bed was made every day. Other extras included hairdryer and complimentary tea, biscuits and a kettle. Our room faced the garden and the view was satisfactory. There is also wifi and a tv with english channels. The room was also very warm despite that it was december! Comfortable bed!

One small problem was that the room wasn't soundproof and consequently it was possible to hear other guests in their rooms and in the stairway, however most guests didn't make much noise and if it would be a problem, earplugs would easily solve the issue. It didn't disturb us though.

Breakfast was served everyday in a cute diningroom. The breakfast included tea, toast, milk & cereal, fruits, juice and conserved fruit. Also included is english breakfast on order, you can get sausages, beans, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes etc. The portions are of a good size. They are relatively flexible with eating times and if you ask they would help to facilitate your needs.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to live in a cosy, but modern b&b with close proximity to the city centre!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Droner
East Lyme, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

I stayed recently at this B&B as it was close to our Edinburgh student from the USA. It was one of the least expensive B&B's, but that was not my reason for staying...it was close to the Univ. It was relatively clean and acceptable for the price...nothing fancy. I had some miscommunications in making my reservation which was disappointing and somewhat suspicious. By the time I found out my verbal reservation was invalid, I had comitted and when they returned with a offering at a higher rate, I had no choice. I was able to access their WiFi, which was nice and in my case, needed, but I had to ask as opposed to the service being offered. All in all I would try another B&B before returning to Blossom House, but it was acceptable.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Fredericia, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

Stayed here for three nights, and after the first, we seriously considered leaving, had it not been festival season and impossible to find an alternative.

To their credit we got our room early. We arrived at 11 am, and was able to get it right away, and the lady greeting us was very nice.

It was our understanding that the room would be en-suite, but it only had a sink and a shower. We had to share the very basic toilet with three other rooms. It was a double room, quite small and facing the garden. The window couldn't be closed, and they were ripping down old sheds and stuff in the garden and burning them for an entire day, which provided a nasty smell of burned plastic chairs.

The walls were thin, so we could hear the Italians next door quite loudly and also the hosts children upstairs, and as if that wasn't enough, there's a rooster next door starting it's morning noises at 4.30 am, and again at 6 am. I had to sleep with earplugs to get any sleep at all.

Breakfast is served for one hour only, which is tricky with four rooms sharing one toilet. Breakfast was also not very good. We didn't even want to try the cooked breakfast, but stuck to toast and yogurt. The host was constantly checking in on the breakfast room without doing anything, just standing there staring at the guests, which was actually quite uncomfortable. The standard of this breakfast is another thing we were surprised about, after reading on their website.

The best thing to be said about the place, is that it's right next to the main bus line to the city center, so there's no wait for the buses. Also, just two minutes on foot up the road is Edinburgh Bakehouse, which quite simply has the best buttered rolls I've ever had. Two for just 50 Pence makes for an excellent alternative to the Blossom House breakfast.

If you have an alternative, don't stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family