“comfortable and convenient”

Ranked #326 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
hexham
“comfortable and convenient”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Managed to get a room at short notice for a trip to The Fringe. Really liked the place; lovely lounge on the first floor to sit and read, good selection for the self service breakfast which is served at a big communal table in the basement garden room (nice to meet the other guests and check out what they had been to see), and a simple, but contemporary bedroom. Thought it was good value for The Fringe and it is situated just a short walk from the city centre. I didn't know the west end of the city centre before my visit and I thought there were some charming little streets close to the hotel with a great variety of eating options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have stayed here twice during the Edinburgh Fringe as it is easy to get to from the airport, and easy to get to central Edinburgh where all the shows are on, it is also cheap to get a taxi back late at night.
This was really good value, as we paid £200 for 4 nights, which is a good price considering your rooms do not get made up during your stay (only before and after) and it is a 20 minute bus ride from the Princes street, and your breakfast is just a couple of pastries from the corner shop and cereal.
However when we have tried to book our next stay there, the prices have gone up for £200 to £500 for the same room at the same time. That is 150% increase in less than a year! And that is the cheapest room!!! I do not think that this is good value for money at all, and I will not be staying here again unfortunately. For this price, you could stay in a hotel where your towels get washed and your bed gets made and is right in the center of town. I am really really disappointed with this, and although I would have recommended this at the price it was at before, I certainly will not recommend it now.

Room Tip: Try not get the basement - it gets very damp and stuffy and noisey as it is right by the kitchet and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a really handy and comfy place to stay. Just over the road from Haymarket railway station and round the corner for regular buses that (for £3.50 all-day, or £1.50 single) take you downtown to Princes Street and across the city.

The rooms are modern, very tastefully furnished and with TVs. Some have cooking facilities too.

The get-your-own breakfast in the basement gardenroom is a pleasant experience. Vast range of fruit, cereals, breads/croissants, tea, coffee to have at the ten-seat communal table, in the garden or take back to your room.

A few decent restaurants also round the corner or chinese or fish and chips takeaway closeby. Tesco just 200m away.

The only let-down is the almost constant humming of what sounds like an aircon unit all night (in room 11 on top floor, noise emanating from a locked but vented cupboard on corridor) as well as in room 5 (ground floor). Spoiled my sleep.

Shame.

Otherwise had a great 3 night stay for the Festival.

Phil was very helpful getting me an extra night when I needed it and the cleaners kindly showed me where to leave bag securely when I arrived early.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor rooms due to noise from humming noise from cupboard on landing.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Fulhamish
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I spent 2 nights in this B&B with my friend for the weekend. Location wise is perfect, just a short walk from the city centre.
The room was not huge but nice, tidy and clean. Only problem it was just opposite to the kitchen so it gets quite noisy during breakfast hours and its not ideal if you want to sleep a little longer after a night out!
The major problem we had was no hot water in the shower (and basin as well) although the bathroom looked brand new. I emailed the manager and he was really kind, replied almost immediately, but was not able to fix the problem over the weekend so we kept having cold showers for the rest of our staying...
A part from that the place is lovely ans well kept and prices acceptable.
Would definitely recommend it.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Fran1610
Scalloway, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at My Edinburgh Life weekend of the Jazz Festival and Open Golf and due to this our options for accomodation were limited. We were lucky to find M.E.L by all accounts.
The house is lovely and clean and the breakfast arrangement is a little different but does the job it's intended for.
We felt that for the price there could have been more room amenities such as tea/coffee facilities and more in the way of those little extras in the room and bathroom that you would normally find when paying in the region of £200 for the two night stay.
Would we stay again? Yes, but I think we could have got more for our money had it not been so busy in Edinburgh,

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Minor hiccup at start as fuse blown so no power in room. We sorted with the friendly help from staff via phone

Very organized and sent us info to get into place

We were in bottom level and it was small but other rooms looked like they were nice..

The bed is hard but sleep able for one night for us.
Breakfast was provided - awesome and great facilities if u wanted to cook etc

• Stayed July 2013
Lahore, Pakistan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Clean, tidy, well equipped, friendly and more than adequate location. Need I say more. I enjoyed my stay immensely. The owner Phil and house keeper Anna were both very pleasant. I had a late night bus so not only did they give me a slightly late check out but also allowed me to keep my luggage in their store which I could easily collect later on in the evening. There is a bus stop and taxi ramp across the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple