“Excellent location for Murrayfield”
Review of My Edinburgh Life

My Edinburgh Life
Ranked #310 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Lancashire, England
“Excellent location for Murrayfield”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Got an informative email a couple of weeks prior to visit detailing key code, wifi code, room details.

Firstly, get off at Haymarket if arriving by train, it's literally over the road from it.

Arrived a little earlier than check in time but no problem, key was in the safe and we found our room, which was spacious, clean and I loved the cupboard in the corner that opened up with a kettle, toaster, 2 ring hob, fridge and sink plus utensils, glasses and crockery. A visit to Tesco two blocks away and our fridge was fully stocked.

An extremely hard bed but we slept well apart from the noise of our inconsiderate fellow housemates, but you can hardly blame the hotel for load mouth drunks :) A few bulbs needed replacing in the room but there was nobody to inform during our stay.

Breakfast is great, a large kitchen laid out with pastries, fruit, bread, porridge, yoghurts, jams, juices, teas and coffee or you can take it out into the garden too.

We attended the Madonna concert at Murrayfield and walked there and back whilst watching the massive queues for trains and taxis.

Access to town is easy via the station or a number of buses.....weather was pleasant enough for us to walk.

All in all a great place ideally located for the station and the stadium.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jayne_leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sheffield
Reviewed July 27, 2012

After reading the various opposing reviews for My Edinburgh Life, I felt I just had to add to the different opinions.
This stay was part of a very traumatic few months for myself & my four young adult children and we needed somewhere with a bit of privacy, respect, & understanding, we found them all at My Edinburgh Life.
We arrived early but because I had already informed Phil via text, he was there to meet us. The instructions via email to retrieve the room keys, were clear, concise & easy to follow. We were given a guided tour of the place & told to treat it as our home, we did. When I mentioned our early start on Saturday, Phil showed us where all the breakfast things were in the kitchen so that we could help ourselves in the morning; we did.
The rooms were spacious, clean, well equipped and of a high standard; however a note of warning, the central heating was off as it's suppose to be summer after all, but to us southerners it was still very cold in the room in the basement. I did not bother Phil with this small problem as a cup of hot chocolate & getting under a warm duvet soon solved it.
There were a few minor problems with the fixtures & fittings (such as bulbs not working, cracked tiles & a broken shower screen), but none of these detracted from the comfort of our stay & since we did not complain about them I cannot comment on whether or not they respond to such issues satisfactorily.
Overall though it was a good place to stay, worth the extra money for the mini kitchens & self service approach. Phil couldn't do enough for us & I want to thank him for his care & concern. If I ever make it back to Edinburgh I will certainly return here & hopefully by then the tram will be finished, don't worry it is all worth it in the end as Sheffielder's we have already been there & done it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LRTHRBPB
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Recently stayed for 2 nights. Easy check in details emailed a few days before we arrived (their is no reception). Room as comfortable, bathroom v small but did the job. We were in room 10, which looks like one of the smaller room. Breakfast was in the communal kitchen area. The kitchen itself was all of a good standard and the continental breakfast was reasonable.

Location was ok for town - 10 to 15 min walk, train from hay market to Waverley or £4/5 in a taxi.

Great location for murrayfield. Taxis couldn't get close to pick people up from the stadium and by the time we were far enough away from the stadium for a taxi we were only a cople of mins from the hotel.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Room 10 looked like it was the smallest
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Italy
Reviewed June 12, 2012

All in all, we can't really complain about it...we had a quadruple room which was fairly spacious and the kitchenette in it was a definite bonus..the bathroom is fairly tiny for 4 people...the location of the hotel will be a lot better once they finish the work on the roads (it took us forever to find it due to the detours sending us all around the city)..from the airport is only a 15 mins drive and downtown can be reached in 10 mins with a bus that stops right outside the door...there is a full kitchen in the basement where breakfast was served, which was plentiful and have various items available (breakfast times did not work out for us for 2 of the 4 days since we had to leave the house early so we missed breakfast altogether)...the rooms do not get cleaned every day so we had to make our own beds and clean up...the room smelled like smoke a couple of times (maybe from the people staying next door or smoking outside)...the rooms are not very soundproof so when people come and go it gets noisy...there is no reception but Phil is very available on the phone and was helpful when we had questions...I would recommend this if you don't want to spend too much but still have a nice place to stay...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank GLAD2012
Toronto
Reviewed June 11, 2012

My husband and I were only able to stay in Edinburgh for 2 nights on our recent trip to Scotland and we enjoyed this self-catering / hotel very much. It is at most a 5 minute walk across the street from Haymarket train station, making it extremely convenient, espcially when walking with all your baggage on the uneven roads and sidewalks of Edinburgh.

Although it appeared as though no one would answer the door when we buzzed, someone did appear after about 5 minutes to let us in.

The house itself is a converted row house and has been decorated beautifully. The entranceway is brightly lit and as you move through the house the lights turn on / off automatically.

We had one of the below grade rooms and I was amazed at the height of the ceilings. They were probaby 15 feet. Even though we were below ground, we had gigantic windows which filled the room with light. We had a king sized bed, pull out couch with chair and coffee table, wall mounted flat screen and a huge cabinet which opened up to reveal a whole cooking area. The bathroom was an average European size but well laid out and very clean. I've never had such a large room in the UK/Europe.

There was a common kitchen area in one of the rooms next door to ours with a long eating table and benches. It was here that a full continental breakfast was laid out for the whole house each morning. There was a good selection of pastries, breads, cereal, yogurts, coffe and tea. There were two sinks and cooking areas so you could actually use this area to cook your own meals, as long as you didn't mind having other people in the house around. The common kitchen opened up to a tiny garden, with a small table and chairs.

The only reason I did not give 5/5 is that I would have liked to pay just a bit less for what we had to pay for the two nights. However, I HIGHLY recommend this place for singles / couples. It is convenient, clean, quiet and in what I felt was a safe area. It's also a relatively short walk to the major sights you'll want to visit while in Edinburgh and there are a number of very good restaurants within a 5-10 min walk if you just want a nice dinner "close to home".

Room Tip: Book the room when you see it's available; they go quickly!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PrincessZeltron
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Great location - vitually opposite Haymarket Railway Station. There is no reception at the house so you need to remember your pin number to access your door key.

The house itself is charming with a hushed and peaceful atmosphere. There is a lovely lounge and a large basement kitchen.

Our room was at the front of the house - the room was large clean and spacious with a well hidden kitchenette (hob, microwave, fridge and sink) TV and ensuite shower / wc.
There is quite a lot of traffic noise at night as buses etc are being diverted in front of the house due to the on-going roadworks for the new tram system.

The buffet continental breakfast in the morning was excellent - cereals, toast, croissants, yoghurt and fresh fruit.

The apartments are a good alternative to B&Bs or hotels with good access to the city centre attractions or the zoo. All bus stops are just a short walk around the corner from the house.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family