“Birthday surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Birthday surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I took someone on a surprise trip to Edinburgh for their birthday. The only disappointment was that the construction of the tramways meant the road was closed to traffic but the hotel was excellent and the staff very helpful. There is a pub/restaurant right opposite called The Grosvenor and that was good as well. This hotel is about 400 yards from Princes Street and well worth the price.

Room Tip: The double room we had had a shower room in and it was very clean and well maintained.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManager1969, General Manager at Cityroomz Edinburgh, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thanks very much. We don’t have a restaurant or a bar so we’re always happy to recommend the local restaurants. You are right though the Grosvenor is a nice pub.
You’ll be glad to know that the tram works have progressed nicely, just tidying up the pavements and crossing places now. Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed in the Cityroomz on a weekend trip to Edinburgh and found it perfectly adequate for our needs. We had requested a twin room and were placed at the rear of the hotel, where it was quiet. Check in was quick and efficient and the staff were pleasant and helpful during our stay. The room was large and our twin beds were both doubles, which was unexpected. Both were reasonably comfortable. Wifi is included too, which is an added bonus for a budget hotel. The real selling point for this hotel is the location; everywhere in the city centre was an easy walk away and this hotel will benefit in the future from the tram development currently under construction.

Overall, this is a decent budget option when staying in Edinburgh.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reachforthesky
Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for recommending us. Kind regards
Reading, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was so relieved to find an hotel available in central Edinburgh at the height of the season and during the Golf Open that I did not check the confirmation email. Imagine my surprise when I found that the twin rooms I had booked were very small with bunks beds which also had no air con - not normally a problem in Britain but decidedly an issue in the heat wave. For one night that was just an unpredicted adventure.
Far more of a problem was the access. After an 8 hour drive we became exhausted and immensely frustrated that you are completely unable to navigate the one way system and long standing road works (years gone and another 4-ish to go) to get to the hotel. Eventually (best part of 40 minutes in ever decreasing circles - not an exaggeration) I managed to get as close as I could, up against one of the mesh fences 100 m away, still unsure how distant the hotel was. On street parking was not an issue as there was no passing traffic. Only real locals or determined individuals.
Having said that the breakfast was probably the best value, at £4.99, I have ever had anywhere. The dining room was fresh, clean, comfortable and airy - although again a little hot. The staff were pleasant and the location on each floor of a large luggage cupboard for left luggage a brilliant concept.

Room Tip: While the tram works continue I would avoid the front of the building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Caroline_Berkshire
Thanks for your review, glad you felt we offered good value
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Unfortunately the hotel I usually go to in Edinburgh was fully booked due to the time of year we went away (during the fringe festival) so as an alternative we stayed at cityroomz. Location was very central which was great but was not impressed with the hotel at all. Took forever to get checked in and while I waited in the queue there seemed to be an issue with everyones booking i.e. having only one room booked not two and when it came to me and my partner I was advised I hadn't paid for my booking which I clearly had. Seemed a lot of hassle to ask staff to store luggage, didn't seem impressed at all at having to be in the reception area dealing with staff rather than the room next to the reception. Bedroom - bed was comfortable but overall the room was very average and would not stay here again. Bathroom was awful! The edging round the flooring was disgusting and every time you used the sink it would leak. As we were only staying the one night and every time I passed reception there was no staff member there I had no one to inform. Also on arrival we received wireless which didn't work. There was also no air con in the room and due to the room overlooking the street it was very noisy with the window open. A fan was provided but didn't work! If you are looking for a great location then this hotel is great but definitely not on comfort and cleanliness. Budget hotel.

Room Tip: Due to no air con rooms overlooking the street were very noisy (hotel is across from a strip club)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Aberdeen2289
Really sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. We don’t advertise or promote air con, although we have some rooms with it, which we allocate when people arrive or if they ask when they book. We do store guests’ luggage, both when they arrive earlier than the room is ready and after they depart; this is a very popular and welcome service. I agree, the bathroom needs to be spotless and all the facilities work, so we will give your room a thorough check. Our wi-fi is both fast and free and works on most devices without any problems. Our reception team who are available 24 hrs will do what they can to help. Kind regards
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

This hotel we chose as it was the perfect location in Edinburgh, close to all attractions. The room was clean and comfortable, the bed was amazing, lovely mattress and very clean linen.
Most wonderful thing about this hotel was the staff, a man called Jim on the reception was brilliant, friendly and helpful with a great sense of humour. I liked the bowls of fruit and sweets in the reception which gave an immediate good impression this was a nice touch. The bed even has a little ledge built into it each side to place your coffe cups.
I would highly recommend this hotel to all, its great value for money, and am planning to go back there next year,

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back of the building will be quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank owen001
Thanks for your comments, especially about Jim, he is a real character. We’d love to see you again next year, call / mail us direct and we’ll make sure you get the best rate. Kind regards
Sykesville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Highly Recommend! Great location with a very comfortable bed! Staff are very friendly and helpful. No air con and the windows don't open very wide, but the staff were great and gave us a fan and some bottled water and we were fine. The only reason it was an issue at all was that we came during a heat wave, normally you won't have any problem whatsoever. They are nearly finished with the tram works on the street out front, we requested a room in the back of the hotel and did not hear a thing our entire stay. As another reviewer mentioned there is a safe in the room, which is very convenient. The lighting in the room is really cool, and was great for my husband and I. There was a little light built into the bed head board that I was able to use to do my travel journaling without keeping my husband awake. Overall I really enjoyed my stay!

Room Tip: Request a room in the back if you are worried about street noise. Breakfast at the hotel is a bit o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, probably the hottest two days of the summer!
Would have liked Air Con, mind you I don't have it at home either!
Apart form that I can't fault the hotel at all; the tram works on the street, which a few reviewers have mentioned, seems to be almost finished and in fairness did not cause us any problem at all, the works are ongoing further down the road between 8am and 5pm and did not disturb us at all and it was all quiet at night.
The hotel is just at the bottom of Princes Street, a couple of hundred yards form the main shopping, restaurants and bars.
We could see the Castle from the end of the street - the location was spot on!
The lady on the reception was really helpful and gave us a map of the city and pointed out the best places to go.
The rooms were on the smaller side, however, they were nicely decorated and it looked as though it had only been done recently. The bed was fab - really comfortable and we had free WiFi throughout once I had put the code in from the key card.
The bathroom was also good with a really really powerful shower!
Breakfast was an extra £5 but we got really nice fresh coffee and fruit juice, croissants, cereals, fruit and even cheese and ham which I though was really good value, later in the evening we nipped across the road to Sainsburys to pick up a few snacks which is really handy if you are on a budget!
We came by car and used the discount scheme the hotel run with a nearby car park (NCP) it only cost us £10 a day instead of £24.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends