Cityroomz Edinburgh
$100
$94
$565
  • Restaurant
All reviewsprinces streetgreat locationbunk bedsbudget hotelairport buscontinental breakfastfamily roomiron and ironing boardtram stopwest endminute walkbusy roadrooms are smallwould stay here againstayed here for nightscentral locationshort stay
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had a great time in Edinburgh. Thought I could write something about it.

You can't beat the location of this hotel. Right in the center of the city. Two great supermarket right downstairs. I went to Sainsbury a few times everyday, buying fruit and bread. All fresh! It is also very close to the castle and major streets like royal mile and prince street.
The bed was extremely comfortable. The backside of the hotel was quiet. Staff very friendly too.
With 68 euros per night, I have to give 5 stars for all these.
There is a musical theater like 300 meters away from Cityroomz. How the hell could I missed it. I found it the last night I stayed in Edinburgh. Already too late to see a concert. T T

I know, as I read the reviews before I went to Edinburgh, there are construction work in the front side of the hotel which was very annoying. I stayed there for 4 nights, they put me in the back side. Surprisingly quiet if you don't count the seagull screaming haha. So ask for a backside room then you'll be fine. (Make sure you stay there for more than one night, otherwise they probably will put you in the front side.) It is not their fault that Edinburgh is building a tram. Just try your best to avoid all the trouble.
The room is spacious for one person. I guess the desk might be a little small for two people. It is too small for me anyway. This hotel doesn't provide wardrobe which is good for me cause I like hanging my clothes in the open air. No telephone in the room, but it didn't bother me at all, I just used my mobile and gave them a ring. Free wifi is super! Breakfast is fine.

It is a brand new hotel, so there are some unfinished painting work left. I stayed on 3th floor and they were painting the corridor on 4th floor the day I checked in. The corridor on 3th floor smelled so badly. I was upset so I complained to the receptionist before I went out. By the time I got back, they already finished the painting and the smell mostly faded away. The rest of my stay was totally ok, no more smell. The 4th floor is the top floor. Since they already finished all of them, I guess there won't be any smell problem for the future guests.
The toilet paper is cheap. I hated it. But I found that toilet paper is of very low quality in UK anyway. Weird.

I really liked this hotel so I am spending 40 minutes writing this review IN ENGLISH. Hope it helps with your trip.

Room Tip: You have to choose the backside room because of the the road construction. Ideally 3 floor...that's where I stayed ^ ^
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DanielleLin
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Had a bit of problem getting here due to the street being closed off and the one-way system that is currently in place. Once we found somewhere to park and walked to the hotel, Jim on reception advised on a closer carpark and they can validate a token that will give you cheaper parking. Definately worth checking the location of the carpark before you go in view of the ongoing tram works. We had a family room and it had a lovely new bunk bed, double bed, chair, safe, towels, kettle and bath/shower. We didn't have the breakfast, but there is a Sainsburys and a Co-op close by so we just popped over there for some croissants and juice. You are also within walking distance of the bus stops. Great location, decent price, helpful staff and would stay here again if in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank hooveraholic
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I (aged 19) arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a very polite, kind receptionist who sorted us our rooms and couldn't have been more helpful!
He did offer a continental breakfast in the morning -however we found it was nicer and easier AND the same price to get a McDonalds breakfast from round the corner!

We stayed for 2 nights, the rooms are well presented and clean however pretty basic, beds are comfortable and you can even make yourself a cup of tea/coffee in the morning which is nice.

Unfortunately, there were building works right outside the hotel which meant early morning awakenings, however we ended up buying ear plugs so it wasn't too much of a problem.

The location is wonderful! right in the center and easy access to everything; from the bus stops for the zoo, Georges St and Princess St. I'd definitely recommend this hotel and I will be returning, hopefully when the building outside is finished though.

(For the hotel: I personally think you should put pictures/photos of Edinburgh in the rooms to add character and also have more options on the breakfast menu, I would have got a breakfast if there was bacon as an option, everyone loves bacon!)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LRA_13
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to shops, cafes, bars, the castle etc. There were tram track roadworks outside but we barely heard the noise, and it wasn't an issue. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was a good size, clean and comfortable. The bed was really comfy with good cushy pillows! TV reception was a bit scatty, not sure if something needed adjusting. Wifi code didn't work so had to get a new one but that wasn't really an issue. Free wifi is great. The staff were happy to hold our bags on the day we checked out. I would definitely recommend staying here as our experience was great. Great pub across the road too!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Ekh86
Reviewed June 11, 2013

As an expat, returning for a few days visit with 2 kids and a pregnant wife in tow, i was looking for a family room at a reasonable rate and good location, plus knowing the standards of hotels can vary wildly in Edinburgh, i thought i was taking a gamble on this new hotel. However I was pleasantly surprised about Cityroomz - it used to be the old travelodge and is now going through a refurb, so far from what i've seen - its enough to make me come back and stay again.

The room we had was big, 2 dbl beds and a cot and still space for the nippers to run around, yes there were beds being delivered and signs of painting having recently being done. But all the better for the standard of rooms they have on right now !

The room is basic, but it was clean and tidy and exactly what we needed for our stay, they could maybe consider putting a mini fridge in the room, but you don't always get that in more premium hotels either.

The location is spot on, its in the heart of the West End - so great for shopping / castle etc and lots of bars / clubs where the locals and others head out to enjoy the weekends. We also parked our car round the corner at the NCP (the hotel discounts your parking cost as well) so that was very handy.

There is tramworks going on outside the hotel - but that will move on at some point ( if Edinburgh ever gets the trams running :). Plenty of shops close by (Sainsbury / Boots) etc which came in use for us when needed.

The breakfast buffet was again pretty good, they could do with a toaster, but the array of cereals and pastries / teas /juices etc was more than enough for a good start in the day and the kids were happy with it.

Overall, good room, great location and somewhere i would use again in the future and happily recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Our room 109 was big and the kids loved the huge windows facing the street.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family