“Perfect Steak”

Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel
Ranked #118 of 2,554 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: .
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went for a pre Christmas night out with friends and was very impressed.

I had mussels to start and they were delicious, my partner had Steak Tartare whilst our friends had the prawn/lobster cocktail - could have done with more lobster.

I had fillet steak which was amazing and the boys went for the New York Strip Steak, my partner asked for his to be cooked rare and it was cooked perfectly and the steak was to die for!

There was a good atmosphere & all four of us enjoyed our evening, hopefully will be back soon!

There are newer reviews for Kyloe Restaurant at Rutland Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I write this with a sad feeling as this was the 3rd time we had visited this restaurant and the previous visits had been fantastic however, I feel that it is only right to pass on comment as things have changed.

As the title says this restaurant is in a great location in the heart of Edinburgh, it is well furnished, the staff are excellent and the general price of the food and wine is good. However the one thing that this restaurant should be aiming to provide above all of these is the best quality meat possible, cooked to perfection.

Sadly my girlfriend and I have to say that when we visited on Saturday evening this was the worst part of our experience. I had the 45 day aged rump (rare) and she had the steak board. We have had these previously and really enjoyed them but this time the steak was of very poor quality, tough, had no natural flavour and the steak board was over cooked.

It is a pity I have to write this as we had previously enjoyed this restaurant and the views from the round table looking over the castle are fantastic. I hope that the restaurant read and act accordingly as at £35 for a steak I want something that is worth going back for not something that I could get from any supermarket and cook at home.

Afraid to say we won't be back in a hurry even with the 25% discount in January.

8  Thank dandydon1977
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I've been to a lot of steak restaurants in the UK and abroad, and this is one of the more interesting, high end ones that I've experienced. I had a starter of Steak Tartare, which was every bit as tasty as I hoped it would be, and a main consisting of a trio of different steaks. Service was friendly and attentive though at times inconsistent (for example, everyone else sitting down was shown a plate with all the different steaks they could choose from, but we weren't) but this is a very minor grumble. Two mains, two starters, two glasses of wine, a pint and a cocktail - £80. For the quality of what we had, we were happy with this - have certainly paid more for less. If you like a variation on steak n chips, I'd recommend.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

this restaurant was just the opposite of our hotel the caledonian waldorf astoria. so it was our first night's choice. we booked our table a few ours ago but actually it might have been a better one! ı'm not a meat monster but I like the steaks of the restaurant which were very soft, juicy and delicious! and also service was great!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

What a fab place, unique & quirky decor and the best steaks, cooked to perfection, loved it so much we are going back next week.