See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed at 21212 for one night over the weekend with my fiance and we were extremely impressed. The Georgian (I think) building has been very sympathetically converted, and our bedroom was immaculate and modern, with a lovely view out towards the Mound. The Elemis toiletries in the bathroom were a real treat. We had tea and coffee brought to us in our bedroom, served in beautiful bone china, with delicious shortbread. The restaurant itself is absolutely fantastic - such beautifully cooked, creative food. I loved the fact that, though an incredible level of skill and detail had gone into the presentation of the meal and all dishes looked stunning, that taste was obviously the most important aspect of its development. So absolutely not a case of style over substance. Each bite had something new and surprising about it. A real strength of 21212, both accommodation and restaurant, is the staff. We were given a very warm welcome by a lovely blonde lady on our arrival, and were attended to by an extremely friendly lady with blonde/pinkish hair throughout our stay. All the staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly - there was nothing remotely patronising or stuffy about this place (which can occasionally be the case in Michelin starred places), but we were impressed by the knowledge of everyone who served us food and wine. I accidentally left a package in our room, and the staff contacted us very swiftly and are keeping it safe for our next visit - any excuse to go back! All in all, a wonderful experience and place that really merits the praise it gets.

Room Tip: Try a top floor room - lovely views out to the gardens.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JHM_1985
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed 3 night in this hotel in january, the room was great and a really good bathroom.
only problem is the smell of cooking in your room in the evening and the breakfast who is so boring, same stuff 3 day on a row .
overhall and enjoyed my stay but i will ave like more luxury basic at that level like mini bar in room, room service menu for breakfast an afternoon tea.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fred V
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here in April 2011. The service was really amazing, the room was beautiful and the view overlooked their garden in the back which was quite pretty. I do agree with other reviews that if you are not used to restaurants with rooms, or hotels without an elevator it was quite a run up the stairs with luggage (luckily my husband was there) but in all fairness they did off to help us out.
This little boutique was close to most of the main areas of Edinburgh, so walking was not a problem. We ate at the restaurant and the food was fabulous. This place really did not disappoint!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights. The welcome was great. Stayed in one of the top floor rooms. The interior decor (room and hotel generally) is superb (classy). The food well I can only say out of this world - they catered for vegetarian diet extremely well. Breakfast room - superb. Both owners (hotel and restaurant) were delightful

So where's the catch......
- If you have heavy bags make sure someone is about to give you a hand! Don't assume there will be someone on hand as this is not a hotel in the traditional sense
- Even in July Edinburgh can have cold nights - the room was cold on both nights. I did flag this issue but it was not addressed
- If you want to stay up and have a drink/relax in the grand drawing room the lights go off automatically at midnight! Even when the head-chef kindly turned them back on they went off again
- Tried my hardest to tip for the superb meal at the restaurant. When I was paying my hotel bill I was told the system can't deal with such overpayments!
- As I left the hotel the receptionist who was dealing with my departure was most stand-offish! This really left a sour impression of the place

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Raj N
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed in the hotel for four nights in December 2011 and had a fantastic stay.

The hotel is a restaurant with rooms and has four bedrooms. We stayed in room 2 which is on the top floor of the hotel. The room is very luxuriously decorated, perfectly clean and has a really nice wet-room bathroom with a double sink. There is a seating area which backs on to the bed which looks out onto the pretty garden and the rise of Carlton Hill. The room has all you would expect from a hotel of this standard, robes, fluffy towels, wi-fi, tv, bottled water and plenty of wardrobe space. There is also a decanter of sloe gin in the room.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were always asked if we would like drinks when we arrived back to the hotel and pots of tea (with biscuits and in a flask to keep it warm) or other drinks would be brought to the room if requested.

The hotel is in a row of Georgian houses in the New Town. The location was perfect for us and and is an easy walking distance to all the main sights.

There were only a couple of minor negatives. The wi-fi strength wasn't very strong and wouldn't reach the seating area at the end of the room. As it is a small hotel you are asked what time you would like to have breakfast the next morning - this didn't suit us as we aren't the best at getting up for a certain time on holiday! Also, surprisingly the choices for breakfast were quite limited for a restaurant with rooms. Breakfast was home-made muesli, fresh fruit and a yoghurt every day with a choice of a cooked option which was either boiled eggs, fried eggs with salami or smoked salmon with caviar. We would have liked more choice having been there for four nights but everything we did have was delicious. The only parking at the hotel is on-street-parking which is on a meter Monday to Friday until 5.30 pm with maximum stay of 4 hours. We parked in the Onmi centre during the week which was expensive.

This was a wonderful hotel and really helped make our break in Edinburgh perfect. We would definitely come back and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2011