“Absolutely Brilliant”

The Manna House Bakery and Patisserie
Ranked #10 of 36 Bakeries in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Open since 2005, The Manna House is a local craft bakery and patisserie with a small cafe so you can enjoy our sweets and savories to eat in. We bake fresh bread everyday Monday to Saturday – producing everything from white bloomers, multigrain loaves and wholemeal harvesters to more unusual bread like rye & caraway or black olive sourdough.We specialize in fine French patisserie and can make wonderful celebration cakes to order - our carrot cakes, chocolate brownies and blueberry bundts all have a big following.Franco our savory chef makes fresh salads and tasty treats everyday to sit in or to take away with quiches, fresh pizza and pies among our favorites.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This Bakery /Cafe is absolutely brilliant and what i love about it is that they don't even know how brilliant they are .The Cakes are skillfully French created and to to the same high patisserie french standards. The variety on offer is quite breathtaking and served by lovely friendly and unassuming staff. Its such a pleasure to come across unpretentious places such as this that can make,on the premises this kind of standard without knowing the brilliance they are selling.Long live The Manna House.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The Manna House is your dream bakery. I am not lying. Maybe you don't know it yet, but you want to move to Easter Rd. just to be around the apple strudel, the crispy bacon croissants, the creamy quiches, the luscious looking chocolate tarts, fresh loaves of brown bread or the huge meringues that sit on the counter and make you think 'I don't even know if I like meringue, but I want it NOW.'
The good news is, it's not THAT expensive. Or, to be more specific, it's not as expensive as they could make it, but it's not really that cheap either. But hey, a cake or a pastry is a treat, so you shouldn't be buying them every day anyways!
The bad news is, I don't like the coffee too much. It's not bad, which is why I am still ranking this place 5/5, but there are much better places for coffee around this area, and it makes me a tad bit sad that I can't have awesome coffee AND a heavenly pastry. But you have to take Manna House as a bakery rather than a cafe, otherwise you'll start being a bit grumpy about lack of seats etc, etc.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have been shop and flat hunting in Edinburgh for two years and stumbled upon The Manna House Bakery, I am not a vegetarian but do enjoy eating vegetarian food, at the Manna House it is fresh every morning and all gone by 1 pm. Every dish is seasonal, fresh, innovative and makes me feel well and alive after eating it. So often I have eaten dishes with pulses in where they are like rocks - I have eaten here about fifty times and never been disappointed. Even vegetables I am not particularly fond on like beetroot - they have won me over with their flavour combinations.I have tasted their breads and cakes - outstanding. The staff are warm, friendly, the seats comfortable. It is always full but one does not feel crowded as there is a peaceful atmosphere, they make one feel part of the community somehow.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

A delightfully Continental cafe offering a good array of pretty cakes and more. Great for a cuppa and a chat - or lunch! Pop in for a nice loaf of bread to take home.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Having spent some time in France, this is the closest bakery I can find to the one I used to go to in France. I took a couple of friends there for breakfast, and they agreed with me. The coffee is good, the cakes are works of art...