“Wasn't what I was expecting...”

Bonnie's Guesthouse
Ranked #76 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Wasn't what I was expecting...”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I hesitated before writing a review but ultimately decided it could help other guests book a better room if they decide to stay here.
We were here one night during our Edinburgh holiday, and although the host Mirella was very pleasant, we were less than thrilled with our room- due to size and location. It looked onto the street, and the homes here are not set back from the road so there was a lot of traffic noise as well as from people walking by (you could hear everything they said). The room had a double bed but barely enough room to walk around it once our luggage was in the room.

From other reviewers it sounds like the back rooms are quiet and I can only assume larger as well.

My other quibble was that we were reminded twice of the check out time, which was quite unnecessary.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank petstylist101
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking your valuable time to review my establishment. Regarding youre comments where you talked about the room sizes my double rooms are smaller than my twin rooms and are not all at the back part of my guest house.

People can expect some level of noise from the street but my windows are double glazed, i supply for the comfort of guests use ear plugs. Being so close to town this is something i cant help.

Apologies for re peating myself regarding check out time this is a one off as im not normally in the practice of doing this and I shall refrain from doing this in the future to avoid any bad feeling towards my guests which was never intended to happen.

Thank you Mirella...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I really enjoyed our stay at Edinburgh House. The host Mirella is really no-fuss, but accomodating and efficient at what she does - nothing was any trouble to her. She let us check in as soon as the rooms were prepared so that we could spend the day seeing the city. The room was huge and had a large ensuite with a large standing shower - and every bath product you may need on your stay, ever! The welcome tea and coffee stand was the most impressive of all the B&B's we stayed in Scotland - herbal teas, hot chocolate, yummy toffees and chocolates, shortbread, you name it! After a long day touring the city it was just what we needed. Breakfast was great - fresh fruit is included and service is prompt. Edinburgh House is located a 5-10 minute walk from new town and Waverly Station, and the main street adjacent has bus service (both city and the open-top bus tour stops here). Would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a comfortable, convenient and great-value stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LuckyBaby345
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Many thanks for youre review im glad that you had a pleasant stay in EDinburgh at my guest house.
Hope to see you another time in the future where a warm welcome awaits you...
Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very nice B&B, Mirella was really sweet, everything inside the hotel was new. Small and nice B&B, located close enough to the city. Breakfast was also very good, and I loved the small chocolates in the room. Could have Internet in the room, though, just had it in the common areas.

Room Tip: I believe that the rooms that do not have windows to the road are quieter. Besides this, my room was...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank D0ris48
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
THank you for your review of your holiday stay at Edinburgh House. Im glad that you had a lovely time whilst in EDinburgh.
Thank you once again Mirella and i hope to see you agai sometime.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Okay, it is not the Taj Mahal, but it is well-serviced, and not that far from Waverly Station. It really is a 10 minute walk. Ask for a room that looks out on the green leafy garden courtyard. You have a choice for breakfast and it is good too! Ample toiletries in the room -- even bandaids (plasters)! Very clean with nice little touches. Mirella, the host, is suitably friendly (not one to talk your ear off, which is a welcome thing, as far as I am concerned).

Room Tip: ask for a room that overlooks the courtyard at the back of the property
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank TomFordLady
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hi and many thanks for taking your valuable time to write me a review on your stay in my guest house. Im glad that you had a nice time whilst in Edinburgh and everything went ok...
thank you once again for my review much appreciated.
Mirella
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

What a find this place is. Mirella is the perfect hostess and the extras in the rooms put many rated hotels to shame. The room was comfortable and spotless. The breakfast was amazing and enough to feed an army! Only stayed one night but next time in Edinburgh will surely return to Edinburgh House.

Margaret and Catriona from Ayr

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Margaret G
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Many thanks for my review... was a delight to have such lovely guests thank you... my pleasure!!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We only stayed one night, a pity as our other B and B was not in the same class. Mirella was excellent hostess and breakfast wonderful. Room had more extras than most places.

If ever return to Edinburgh it would be our number one B and B booking

Errol and friends'
Brisbane'
Australia

Room Tip: We had ground floor rooms close to road but it did not bother us at all. They were our preference as...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Many thanks for your review ... im glad that you had a lovely time whilst in Edinburgh at Edinburgh House.

Thank you...Mirella
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Mirella is one of the nicest and friendliest people I have come across!! The pride she takes in her B&B is amazing. We were only able to stay one night, but will make it a point to reserve early for our next time in Edinburgh. Take a taxi if you are coming or going to the airport. Its only about L5 for the ride and worth it especially if it is late at night.
She had toiletries available which was great as some B&Bs don't provide soap, lotion and shampoo. The rooms had heating you could control on your own. There is wireless in the room. The breakfast was great! Looking forward to going there again. She had the most FANTASTIC TARTAN CARPET that I have ever seen. Actually its the only tartan carpet I have seen, but FANTASTIC nonetheless!
Thank you Mirella you are a sweet lady!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank java1994
EdinburghMirella, Owner at Bonnie's Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Im glad that you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh and at Edinburgh House..

Many thanks for my review Mirella