“Upstairs Downstairs in Edinburgh” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Six Brunton Place Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Six Brunton Place Guest House
Ranked #11 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom
“Upstairs Downstairs in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Six Brunton Place is quite literally where upstairs downstairs victoriana meets hi-tec interior chiq. Lord Grantham at Downton Abbey didn't have wi-fi but if he did then Brunton Place is where he'd have wanted to be. Sue's enthusiasm and attention to detail is as sharp as her architects' eye..... Nothing is left to chance...everything in its place and a place for everything. At departure, if you're left 'wanting' at Brunton Place it will be For more of the same... Sumptious and well appointeed hi-tec 'below stairs' rooms, local Scottish ingredients cater for all breakfast tastes. Miss this at your peril, an 1850s Victorian jewel in Scotlands crown capital. Thank you Sue, good luck and thanks from Kate & Neil, Cambs.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Samalik2013
suethompson34, Owner at Six Brunton Place Guest House, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us. It was wonderful to meet you, and I am so glad that you had a good time here!

Thank you too for your lovely comments. It really does mean the world to us, and we so appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I hope that the rest of 2014 is a very successful year for you both, and for your daughter and son!

With very best wishes,

Sue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Airton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed at this gorgeous guest house 3 weeks ago for a weekend. On arriving we were offered some tea and we sat in the cosy lounge with a roaring fire and it was so great we stayed there all afternoon. We stayed in two different rooms both of which were immaculate and cosy! Sue is such a welcoming, charming host and helped us choose some restaurants for the evenings which were both superb. The breakfast was fresh, good quality and beautifully presented... when we are next in Edinburgh we will definately choose to stay here again!! A wonderful experience!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sonia c
It is so kind of you to take the time to write about your recent stay with us. It was an absolute pleasure to meet you both.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and sampling our local restaurants!

I hope that you will indeed find the time to once again visit Edinburgh, and that we have the pleasure of accommodating you!

I hope that the rest of 2014 is a great year for you and your family.

With very best wishes,

Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Located about a mile from the centre which made it a nice calorie burning stroll. Just over the road from a nice park and close to some nice restaurants.

Place itself tastefully decorated, clean, excellent high quality food. Has free wine and milk. The rooms are a good size with lovely bathrooms.

They also have a family room though I never stayed in that.

Highly recommended.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stuart B
suethompson34, Owner at Six Brunton Place Guest House, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us recently, and for taking the time to write about your stay. It means so much to us to read your comments.

It was lovely to meet you, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your time here.

I hope that you come and see us again sometime, and in the meantime I hope that the rest of 2014 is a great year for you.

With very best wishes, and thanks again,

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I treated my husband to a weekend in Edinburgh for his birthday this year and after reading all the reviews, picked 6 Brunton Place. What a wonderful place to spend a weekend; we were very tempted not to go out of building, it was so lovely. We arrived pretty early as we took the sleeper train up from London, but as our room hadn't been in use the night before, Sue showed us straight to it and then made us a pot of tea with delicious cakes (I highly recommend the lemon drizzle), which we enjoyed on the squishy sofas in front of the log burner in the guest lounge. We came back mid-pm after the sleet started and relaxed in our beautiful bath with a glass of wine (there is a guest fridge in the lounge and you can help yourself; fabulous) and it was a real struggle to go out again (if Sue hadn't made us a dinner reservation, I don't think we would have). Our room was exceptional and I highly recommend the garden room (we will go back for a summer visit when we will be able to take full advantage of the garden). The bed was incredibly comfortable, the bathroom fantastic (underfloor heating, great toiletries and both a shower and bath, and there was a TV, DVD, radioi etc. My husband LOVED his stay and is still raving about it. Thank you Sue for making our weekend so wonderful, we love your B&B and will definitely come back

Room Tip: The Garden room is massive and really beautiful, would definitely recommend and as it backs onto the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank janer1000
suethompson34, Manager at Six Brunton Place Guest House, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I am so happy that you decided to chose our B&B to celebrate your husbands birthday, and that you enjoyed your time here. It was so great to meet you both, and I am delighted that you enjoyed relaxing in the living room in front of the fire.

It would be wonderful if you did come back in the summer, when you would be able to spend time in our rear walled garden! I am glad that you liked the tea and cakes and the wine!

With very best wishes, and looking forward very much to your next visit!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

I cannot recommend 6 Brunton Place highly enough. I last stayed there with my daughter 18 months ago and Sue remembered my daughter's name and a number of other details about us in spite of the hundreds of guests that she has had to stay in the interim.

Sue is a wonderful host, she is friendly, helpful and charming without being over attentive. Attention to detail is all at 6 Brunton Place, from the wonderful homemade flapjacks and cakes to the wonderfully fluffy towels and fabulous sheets, the lovely toiletries in the bathroom, the heated mirrors which don't steam up… The room was lovely and warm too, much appreciated on a very cold Edinburgh day. If it would make your stay more comfortable, then you can expect that Sue will have thought of it and provided it for you.

Breakfast is perfect, freshly squeezed juice, freshly made fruit salad, lovely organic yogurts, freshly baked bread and a good range of cereals. We didn't have the cooked option, but there's plenty of choice there too.

The location of 6 Brunton Place is perfect for the theatre or shopping too.

There's a very good reason why lots of us keep coming back and why 6 Brunton Place is the number 1 B and B on trip advisor for Edinburgh. Find out for yourself and join the swelling ranks of happy guests!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
suethompson34, Owner at Six Brunton Place Guest House, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
I am so glad that you stayed with us again, it was so great to see you once more. It is lovely that both your daughters have now stayed here with you, it has been a pleasure to meet them both!

I am glad that you enjoyed your second visit here, and thank you so much for your kind comments about our rooms and facilities. Also I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast!

Perhaps if you do stay again it will be warmer weather, and you can enjoy our garden!

With very best wishes in the coming year to you and your delightful daughters,

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

We were visiting Scotland (from Singapore), for the first time, and the stay at Six Brunton Place helped make it memorable. Sue is such a wonderful hostess - she tended to our every need, made us feel completely at home. We took two rooms for our family of four, and had to change rooms over the weekend because the B&B was completely booked up; but Sue tried to make the transition as easy as possible. We enjoyed the authentic 'feel' of this grand old house - eg, where the stone staircase was uneven where it'd been worn down over the years. Yet, the rooms were large and well-appointed, with all the modern conveniences you could want (TV, Wifi, DVD players etc). I love the little touches - eg, the heated towel rails in the bathroom, and the anti-fog mirrors. And the breakfast was spectacular - generous, warm and delicious. Sue was ever ready to offer useful tips; What to see/do in this 'walking' city, and some great dinner venues, eg the lovely garden restaurant across the road from this B&B - outstanding food! I am so glad we chose to stay here instead of a hotel. I would stay here again if I were ever to return to Edinburgh, and I would recommend it unreservedly to anyone who's looking for an exceptional experience. Thank you, Sue!

Room Tip: One of the rooms opens into the garden at the rear of the house - it is huge, but it can get stuffy...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
suethompson34, Owner at Six Brunton Place Guest House, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
It is so kind of you to take the time to write about your stay with us. We hugely appreciate your feedback, and your kind comments. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time here at Six Brunton Place, and exploring Edinburgh.

I hope that you will indeed return to Edinburgh one day, and that we have the pleasure of accommodating you and your family. It was such a pleasure meeting you and your family. I am glad that you enjoyed sampling our local restaurants too.

With very best wishes to you all.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Six Brunton Place while visiting Edinburgh for our anniversary. It is a beautiful house with everything you could possibly need! Sue is an amazing host who goes above and beyond to make sure all of her guests are comfortable. I felt like I was staying with family instead of in a hotel! We stayed in the smallest room which was plenty big enough for us. Breakfast is fresh and delicious and, since it was January, there was always a cozy fire to warm up by. The house is also a very easy walk to the royal mile, princes street, and the train station. You definitely will not regret staying here! Thank you Sue for making our trip so wonderful! We can't wait to come back and visit again!

Laura and Bryan

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
suethompson34, Owner at Six Brunton Place Guest House, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us for your anniversary! We so appreciate that you have taken the time to write about your time with us, it means so much to us.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time here, and warming up in front of the fire! It was great to meet you both, and talk to you, and hope so much that you are indeed able to come back and see us sometime, it would be fantastic to see you again!

In the meantime I hope that 2014 will be a great year for you both.

With very best wishes, and fingers crossed that we will see you again!