“Enjoyable!”

$586.00*
Private Edinburgh City Tour in a Minibus
Ranked #47 of 416 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: Want to see a million pounds? See some of Scotland's oldest banknotes? Explore the changing face of Edinburgh? Build a model home? Crack open a safe? Then come to the Museum on the Mound. Opened in 2006, this fascinating museum takes a fresh look at money - and much, much more. Art & design, technology, crime, trade and security - all feature in the story of money. We are open throughout the year and admission is FREE. We look forward to seeing you! Please note - we are currently only open Tuesday - Friday 10am - 5pm and Bank Holiday Mondays 1pm - 5pm
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

On a cold Edinburgh day this was a fun and informative little trip round the museum! Bought some cute gifts to take Home and even got a pressed penny. Great free attraction!

There are newer reviews for Museum on the Mound

Reviewed February 26, 2013

If your interested in finance and money then this is well worth poping into, also with its good location and the fact its free you cant go wrong.

Spent about an hour looking around the excellently presented exhibits, could of stayed longer if time aloud but we where in a hurry.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you are interested in the history of banking or even just how money started, then this is for you. Suitable for both kids and adults, this is an interesting trip. With hands on displays and films to view, a good afternoon.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Like others, I've walked passed this museum many times and never ventured in. Now I'm so glad I did. It's very interesting, informative and quite good fun! The kids will love seeing £1million pounds!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have walked past this place since it opened and have always threatened to go in. Today I went - so I have been and if I never go back I wont feel I miss anything. It is a very small museum although has plenty of information. Not sure how very small children would like it but should entertain most. Staff were pleasant and polite. I was sad that there was no mention of the banking in Scotland outside Edinburgh. There could have been mention of the banking in the isles and how the bankers used to travel by boat or plane to get to their customers.

Also - being very nit-picky - Is a large pile of cancelled bank notes - really a million pound? Surely a cancelled bank note has no monetary value therefore we are looking at 50,000 pieces of worthless paper?

Museum_on_the_Mound, Curator at Museum on the Mound, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to review us. I just wanted to correct your comment about there being no mention of banking outside Edinburgh. We do in fact cover this through various displays. For example, there is a large display about the forerunners of the Union Bank of Scotland, which includes banks based in Glasgow, Perth, Paisley and Aberdeen. Other Scottish banks are included as part of our Famous Customers, At Your Service and Banknote Study displays. As part of the Making it Work display, there is an interactive photograph album showing mobile branches, and a special branch set up at agricultural shows.

Finally, the million pounds... at the end of the day, all banknotes (cancelled or otherwise) are just bits of paper . . . But we all choose to give them a value . . . Isn't it interesting that the addition of one word to a piece of paper which is otherwise identical to what we spend everyday, can make all the difference?