“Secret hotel comes out on top”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #31 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
aberdeen
“Secret hotel comes out on top”
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I used one of the secret hotel booking sites for our one night in Edinburgh and were delighted when it was revealed as the Missoni. Have walked past it a number of times on previous visits to the Capital we were intrigued by this funky stripey offering.

We were not disappointed. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was spotless with striking decor and lots of imaginative design features. The cocktail list was extensive, although the staff were more than happy to go off menu and kept us well fuelled with a range of cocktails for the evening.

Definitely recommend this one to friends and family and we will definitely be back soon.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
James A, Public Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear erfl,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. It is great to read that you had such a fabulous stay with us in Edinburgh and that you will be recommending us to friends and family in the future. I would be very happy to manage your reservation for you personally the next time you are planning a trip to Edinburgh. Looking forward to welcoming you back,

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Hotel Missoni and had a wonderful stay. Other than the lovely decor the most remarkable thong about this hotel is the service. The staff are all friendly and attentive. Special thanks to Antonio, Henna, Victoria and Rebecca for making our stay fabulous. I would definitely stay again and recommend it to friends and family.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank R B
Dear R B,

Many congratulations once again on your birthday celebrations. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us for your special occasion and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. I have passed on your feedback to the team who are very appreciative for you singling them out. We are very fortunate to have such a great team at Missoni who are dedicated to always delivering top class 5 star service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please feel free to touch base with me directly if you wish to stay again,

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was a return visit for me and I was not disappointed. I really love this hotel, from the design to the friendliness of the staff. This time I was lucky enough to stay for longer and had the chance to experience both the spa and the Cucina restaurant. Both I would highly recommend. The therapist and the spa facility were both excellent and I will definitely go back. We picked the Sommelier choice for dinner, which meant that we had the wine chosen for us to compliment each course and the good really was lovely.
We had a couple of technical issues with our room, which was with the TV and the iPod docking station but the staff were helpful and I don't want that to detract from the stay.
The hotel is in a great location and I would encourage a visit.

Room Tip: Check floor location. We were on level 3, and although it had an incredible view, it was also quite...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Trish T,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us again at Hotel Missoni and I am delighted to read that we were able to deliver a positive experience one again. We really appreciate you taking the time to inform us, and other tripadvisor users of your feedback, and hope to welcome you back to Edinburgh sometime in the near future,

aberdeen
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Very different, quirky average hotel. Reception staff were very polite and chatty as were the breakfast staff. Lovely rooms (slightly smaller than I thought they would be) with great facilities, the ususal tea, coffee and bathroom goodies. Food was excellent both at night and at breakfast time, great range on offer. Fantastic location for visiting Edinburgh. So the minus point..... the Bar, area, service and staff....... crowded at all times during our 3 day stay (not big enough for hotel), Slow service for both clearing away and for delivering orders..... its not rocket science to pour two Vodka and Diet Cokes so what took them so long..... chatting to each other and looking pretty I think.......! Personally I think this is a nice, quirky, different hotel at a great location but..... im not convinced its a 5 star

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandyfyfe
Dear mandyfyfe,

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments about the reception and breakfast teams. It is however disappointing to read that your experience was let down by the service you felt you received at the bar. Bar Missoni is a popular destination for locals and residence and is very busy. We pride ourselves on providing unique, friendly, professional and personal service at all times. I am sorry that your experience was impacted on the speed of service you received. I just hope that you were able to speak to someone at the time so we could address your issues directly. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel should you wish to expand on your valuable feedback,

Elgin, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My Daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel when visiting Edinburgh to see a show. The hotel is very stylish and rooms are well equipped and decorated. Breakfast was quickly served and very enjoyable. Reception staff were very helpful in arranging restaurant bookings and sorting out a small problem with my booking. Location is excellent with lots of attractions close at hand. Highly recommended !

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank chrisandewe
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear chrisandewe, Thank you for your five star review and taking the time to share with everyone! I am pleased to hear that you had great time with us at Hotel Missoni and that you also enjoyed the breakfast in Cucina restaurant. Please let me know if you are planning on returning to Edinburgh in the future, I would be more than happy to assist you with your arrangements. With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen, Assistant Guest Services Manager
Kilmacolm, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

What this hotel doesn't shout about is that it's very dog friendly. We took our (relatively)well behaved 6month old pup to stay and we're made extremely welcome by the staff. This made our stay relaxing and enjoyable for 2 middle aged first time dog owners. That aside the hotel is well worth a visit. The rooms are very comfortable, spotlessly clean ad well equipped. The bar staff mix a mean Negroni. The menu in the restaurant is good but there is huge competition from surrounding restaurants - if you want to relax and (with or without a dog) this is a good option. Well done Missoni -we will be back.

Room Tip: We were in 215 and we're happy with the room. Had to get firmer pillows and has limited wardrobe...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank janis c
James A, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear janis c, Thank you for your wonderful comments! I am glad to hear that you had a great stay with us and that we made you and your puppy feel welcome to Hotel Missoni! We here at the hotel take dogs very seriously, and make sure that they also receive a fabulous Missoni experience. We hope to see you and your puppy again in not too distant future! With kind regards, Henna Kapulainen, Assistant Guest Services Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My friends and I popped into the Missoni bar for a couple of drinks before heading out for dinner on a Saturday night and were quite prepared to be wowed.The bar was busy but not excessively so - we managed to get a table for the 3 of us straight away and our drinks order was taken very quickly while a bowl of nuts was placed on the table almost immediately. 1st drink was an easy one - 2 G&T's and a sparkling water and yet we waited almost 20 mins, despite being right next to the bar where 5 staff were bustling about. (I could only see one making drinks) Despite the wait we decided to have another for the road. This time just 2 cocktails but yet another 20min wait while staff seemed very busy doing not very much - very apparent from the state of the bar itself which was LITTERED with dirty glasses and empty wine bottles and extremely unsightly - not at all what we would expect from such an establishment. While we thoroughly enjoyed the cocktails we were absolutely horrified to see, as we were leaving, a member of staff who had cleared our glasses (and added them to the mess at the end of the bar) dividing the remains of the nuts we had been nibbling, along with some cleared from other tables into half empty bowls behind the bar ready for distribution back onto the tables!!!! Disgusting. If you have even minimal standards of hygiene demands - I'd give this bar a miss.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank DeevDaav
Dear DeevDaav,
Many thanks for choosing Bar Missoni for a drink on Saturday, and for taking the time to give your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your cocktails, and I am naturally very concerned about the other points you have raised. We do have a designated area for glasses to come back to the bar for washing, and I am regretful you found this unsightly. We do endeavour to keep the area as compact and tidy as possible at all times, and this can be a challenge during busy periods. We do place our used bar snack bowls in the same area before transferring them to our preparation room to be washed and re-filled, though I can give you 100% assurance that under no circumstance are leftover snacks ever re-distributed to tables. I am deeply concerned that this is the impression that you left with as we take health & safety management very seriously, and will certainly be adjusting our procedures to ensure that this does not happen again.

I would be most grateful to discuss all of your feedback should you wish, and am available at your convenience on bar.edinburgh@hotelmissoni.com or 0131 220 6666.

Matt Wakeford