“Really Nice Hotel ... noisy at night though”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #28 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This is a modern Hotel set in the Heart of Edinburgh's old town. The staff on arrival were superb and probably up there with best service and customer care we have ever experienced from a Hotel anywhere! The spacious room was decorated in a modern style in keeping with the theme of the Hotel, everything felt very new. Free mini bar, papers and robes were all included in the price. The bar in the evening had a great buzz, all ages seemed comfortable there.
The position of the room in relation to the street did pose a bit of a problem. Noisy booze fuelled revellers in the street below kept me awake until around 5:00am so in hindsight would have been better with a room away from the Royal Mile or perhaps a higher room, this did put a bit of a downer on an otherwise great weekend.
Breakfast was really good a buffet followed by a cooked offering from the kitchen I opted for the egg benedict with salmon (recommended).
Overall a good stay the staff were fantastic shame about the lack of sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid a room over the Royal Mile ... very noisy
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear sharpG,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about the hotel and staff. I am, however, sorry that we were not made aware of the noise disturbance you experienced during your stay. Being a city centre hotel, on rare occasions, street noise can be heard from guest bedrooms, but we would always want to be informed of any discomfort felt from our guests during their stay so that we can find a quick solution. I am sure we could have found an alternative for you had we been made aware of the situation at the time.

I would like to update your personal profile in our system to allocate you a quiet room, for your potential future visits; however I am unable to identify your reservation from your Tripadvisor user name. Please can you get in touch with me at the hotel so we can be prepared for your next visit? Thank you for your valuable feedback,

There are newer reviews for G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is a little island of Italy in the midst of Scotland. The decor is Missoniesque. The zig zag patterned kilts on the porters are a hoot. Even the cleaners are well dressed. Perhaps the Missoni stripes could be a bit more subdued. I started to get dizzy after a while. The service was first class and the hotel had a few nice additions. Two pieces of clothing could be laundered at no charge each day. The shower was magnificent and the toiletries were gorgeous. Definitely will stay at a Missoni hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear MaxSurfers,

Thank you for your delightful review; I really liked your “little island of Italy,” description of the Hotel, I am definitely going to use that one in the future! We are very proud of our Missoni connection and our design really does make us stand out from the crowd in Edinburgh.

We offer unique, friendly, one on one, 5 star service well before arrival, all the way through to after departure, and want all of our guests to feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible throughout that journey. It is very pleasing to read that you will be back.

“The Little Island of Italy” awaits your return!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is a lovely modern hotel with great staff who are very welcoming and friendly. A good, lively bar with great selection of cocktails. However for the money the room was a little tatty, or maybe we were just unlucky, (seemed to be a disabled room as had red emergency strings hanging beside bed and in bathroom) but the wallpaper was peeling off in parts and just felt for this class of hotel it needed a little attention. Although all in all I would recommend it as its a super location very close to royal mile and shops

Dear colholly,

Thank you for your comments on the modernity of the hotel and the friendlines of our team; your feedback is very welcome indeed. I am, however, sorry you felt the room needed some attention. We have reviewed the conditions of all of our accessible rooms in light of your feedback and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I would however like to touch base with you, personally, so I can update your profile notes in our system. We only have a small proportion of accessible rooms in the hotel and I understand that your allocated room room was unnecessary for your needs. I will ensure, on your next stay, that you are in a standard room and I ask you to give me a call at your earlier convenience so that we can be ready be prepared for your return.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Modern, very stylish hotel with great staff. Rooms have everything you need with top quality equipment (including coffee machine), free minibar, free movies, great bathroom with fantastic shower. The staff throughout the hotel are very professional and helpful but also friendly. We visited the restaurant both nights, the food was good and the staff excellent. Will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Phil C,

Thank you for your positive review following your stay at Hotel Missoni. We hope to welcome you back in the future. I would be delighted to be your personal point of call prior to your next arrival; please let me know when you are next planning a trip and I will look after your reservation,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Just when you thought hotel service had died, a stay here and you realise what you've been missing all these years. From walking through the front door to departure it is service with a capital S. Fantastic staff, a fab room and bar service that makes you want to go back. We will and I have no doubt the additional facilities will be used next time.

Dear Mark S,

Wow! Thank you for your amazing review. It is really reassuring to read that you felt you were so well looked after by our team at Hotel Missoni. We pride ourselves on our service standards and on applying the necessary attention to detail to continue to provide the very best, whilst creating a friendly and relaxing environment for everyone to enjoy their visit to Edinburgh.

We cannot wait to look after you again, thank you once again for your kind comments; I have of course ensured your feedback has been circulated.

Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We have just spent one night at this fantastic hotel.

Very clean rooms, brilliant staff, great service, lovely spa. Overall we loved it. We didn't use the bar or restaurant on this occasion.

Only downside had been our toast was cold at breakfast but still not enough of an issue for me to drop it down a star. I still ate it!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Fungirl_12,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Missoni following your stay with us. I am delighted you had such a fabulous experience. Please feel free to get in touch with me directly if you are back in Edinburgh in the future. We would be very happy to see you again!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I recently attended an event at Hotel Missoni. What a night! From the exquisite food, the attentive and friendly staff through to the relaxed and vibrant atmosphere, all in all it was a superb evening! I will most certainly be back, whether that be for client meeting, dinner for a special occasion in either of their wonderful restaurants or cocktails at the bar with the girls on a saturday night, I will most certainly be back! Thank you again for such an enjoyable evening - Hotel Missoni is a MUST for either dinner, drinks or to stay when in Edinburgh!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank vics l

Dear vics 1,

Thank you so much for your review. I would welcome the opportunity to thank you over the telephone for your kind comments about the event you attended. Would you be able to get in touch to let me know the best number to contact you on? It would be great to put you in touch with our Events Team to see if we can help out with any meeting space you might need in Edinburgh in the future. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon,