“Enjoy chic on the Royal Mile”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #28 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This ultra-cool hotel decorated throughout with Missoni design is ideally located on the Royal Mile. Room size was adequate for the two of us, but there was virtually no shelving for our clothing. Closet space was adequate. Lighting in the room was great for "mood", but inadequate to read by. Similarly, I had difficulty shaving because of poor lighting in the bathroom. Staff guided us to great places for breakfast and dinner and uniformly friendly and helpful. They helped make our stay a success.

If they could improve the lighting in the room and increase storage space, Missoni would be a definite place to return to.

Room Tip: All the rooms are uniform in size and design. The sound proofing was excellent.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Dear banjo45,
Thank you for your review following your stay with us at Hotel Missoni. I am very pleased that the design of the hotel was to your liking and that you were well looked after by the staff. Please accept my apologies that you found the storage and lighting in the room to be inadequate. I have made personal sure that you comments have been communicated to our Maintenance team. Thank you for your kind feedback and I am delighted you had a successful visit to Edinburgh. I look forward to your return,

There are newer reviews for G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I got a night at the Missoni by chance and was really looking forward to it. As a frequent traveller to Edinburgh I had often admired it but while much about the place was really good there was enough that was not quite right to mean I won't pick the place again.

Good things first: it is gloriously decorated and finished inside and the whole place has a feeling of real quality from door handles to bathroom fittings. The room was exceptionally clean and tidy and well appointed - complimentary minibar, sophisticated coffee machine and so on. Service was also first class, check-in a breeze politely and efficiently handled.

Less good: breakfast was OK, a lovely buffet, tea was however weak and sausages both lowish quality and just cooked, it was also very slow wrt service.

The weird stuff: I went out for dinner and came back and someone had been in my room, various things had been moved. This wasn't like the sheets being turned down on the bed but things moved in the bathroom and glasses on the bedside cabinet, lights turned off etc. Then at about 1230am there was a knock at the door - probably nothing to do with the hotel but still put me off sleep especially combined with the earlier changes to the room. As well as that the prevalence of designer patterns and bright colours through the building was kinda hard to cope with, I was relieved to get out into a relatively monochrome Edinburgh. This last is maybe a bit of an unfair comment given the fact it is a "designer" hotel and that designer is famed for striking patterns.

All-in-all then it's a very nicely put together hotel but there was enough strangeness to put me off.....

Room Tip: Mine was on the Royal Mile but no problems with noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night for my partner's 60th birthday. He has stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and is incredibly critical of everything from the service to the bathroom fittings... he couldn't find a single thing wrong with this hotel, he described it as the best hotel he's ever been to. We absolutely loved the decor (they must've spent an absolute fortune on interior designers!), particularly the mirrored sliding doors, the bedside lamps (checkout the retail price of those - £450!!!) and the top quality bathroom tiles (black and silver) and fittings. For me maybe the best bit was all the very good-looking male staff in kilts and DMs!

Service impeccable, super-comfy bed, Nespresso machine and real milk in the fridge. We didn't hear any noise from other rooms at all - very quiet night in spite of the hundreds of tourists around outside! Didn't use the bar or restaurant but thought the bar area looked fab too. Can't fault it. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2013

Dear Mary P,
Thank you so much for your kind comments about your stay. I am so pleased you had such a fantastic time with us at Hotel Missoni and we really appreciate you rating us as the best hotel you have ever stayed in! I have made sure your feedback has been circulated and we thank you for taking the time to inform tripavisor readers of your experience. We cannot wait for your return, please do feel free to touch base with me directly if you wish to stay again and I will look after your reservation,

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Unassuming from the outside and modern inside. We stayed in a standard double room that was huge with ceiling to floor windows and views of the Grassmarket and the castle. The decor was typical Missoni but surprisingly it wasn't too OTT. It was actually rather elegant with Bang and Olufsen tv. It's a shame when a hotel room has a better telly than your own house.

The bathroom doesn't have a bath only a shower but it's quite big with a bench inside. They do provide toiletries and cute things like packs of Missoni tissues, nail files etc. The quality of the shampoos, shower gel and lotions was very poor. Probably equivalent to supermarket own brand. I would take your own. There was one very cool thing in the bathroom that I need at home - a heated mirror. No more wiping condensation off to see yourself.

The bed was massive. I forgot my boyfriend was in there. The pillows were too soft for me but in they welcome pack they say to contact reception for different ones. I just forgot. And if you like the bedding, towels and dressing gowns then they are handily available to purchase at reception. It's not a style I'd have at home as I like to think I have a Palace of Versailles thing going on that Missoni homeware would clash with.

One point about the free mini- bar. Don't get excited as it's "healthy" with bottled water and no alcohol, although I wouldn't say coke, fanta or crisps are especially healthy. I'd read elsewhere about the disappointing mini-bar and we took our own wine.

The hotel is well located, close to the station and not too far a walk to head over to George Street or Stockbridge.

I liked the fact that you hardly saw any other guests and the hotel staff you encountered were all friendly and uber stylish, even the chamberboys.

Would definitely stay here again as it was fairly cheap when using http://Booking.com.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Glasgirl01,

Thank you for your detailed review and for your kind comments after your visit to Edinburgh. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and that you would be willing to return, which is fantastic!

Please note that if you book a superior Maggorie room, a Grandioso room or a Suite at the hotel then we do provide an alcoholic mini bar. Thank you for your comments about the staff at the hotel, I have made personal sure that your feedback has been circulated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I stayed here last Friday with 3 friends and thought my entire stay was fantastic! On arrival to the hotel you are greeted my the lovely concierge, the reception staff were all so warm and friendly. As one of my friends is a vegan the chef especially bought in specific items that we had requested and accommodated her so well, we felt that the staff couldn't do enough in reception the restaurant right through to the housekeeping staff. The hotel itself is in a perfect location within five minutes from the castle or the tour bus and also very close to Princess street and all the restaurants. The bedrooms are pure luxury slept amazingly for the three nights I was there and the perfect touch was the nespresso coffee machine, loved this hotel and would certainly recommend it will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear nottm123644,

Thank you very much for your glowing review following your recent stay with us in Edinburgh. I am delighted your had such a fabulous experience and that we were able to accommodate your needs fully, thank you very much for communicating these prior to your arrival.

Do not forget about us, please spread the Hotel Missoni word and I look forward greatly to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was booked last minute through Trivago for a visit to Edinburgh to see daughter at university. We had a twin bedroom which was lovely and very well sized. The only downside was the walls seemed thin as we could hear everything from the adjoining room and the room was close to a staffing room and again we could hear banging and noise particluarly the next morning. The view from our room was also not brilliant looking on to the back of buildings despite asking for a view. Other than that it would have been perfect for an overnight stay.

The checking in staff were lovely and friendly and indeed everyone was very friendly. I loved the Missoni kilts worn by the staff! The hotel is modern and all decked out in Missoni material and colouring so may not suit those who prefer a more traditional hotel but we loved it. The bar was buzzing at all times and was a real hub.

We had lunch at the Cucina restaurant which was very nice - the staff were attentive and the setting was lovely with an outdoor terrace.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor and ask for a view over the Royal Mile or the Castle although you are not guar...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear collywobs50,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies that you had trouble with the sound proofing in your allocated room. I have forwarded your feedback to our engineering team who are following up on your comments. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

It’s a shame that we were unable to honor your request for a front facing room on this occasion; which, I add, is rare! Please do touch base with me at the hotel and I will ensure that your personal profile is updated so we can allocate you a nice front facing room on your next stay with us in Edinburgh.

Thank you very much for your kind comments about the staff and the Missoni kilts; they certainly are unique and have become a highlight in the Old Town for many travelers!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Missoni in the future. Please let me know directly if you wish to stay again and I can manage the reservation for you personally,

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Popped into the bar with my wife for a few pre dinner drinks, as we have done many times before, never again!
The bar area was littered with dirty glasses, empty bottles, soaked napkins....generally a mess.
After standing at the bar for 10 minutes, with no effort from the multiple " bar tenders " to even acknowledge I was there, I informed a young lady about my wait, only to be told she was busy....untrained, unhelpful staff...Edinburgh hospitality at it worst.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Ragman01
Iain H, Guest Relations Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Ragman01,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience at Bar Missoni recently. It is clear that we have let you down which is very disappointing, especially as you have visited many times before.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly about your experience and kindly ask if you could touch base with me at the hotel so that I can apologise in person. Thank you for your valuable feedback and I look forward to speaking to you on the phone,

James