“Funky, trendy well located hotel in historic part of city”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #31 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney
“Funky, trendy well located hotel in historic part of city”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Fabulous hotel from which to start a driving tour of Scotland - just off (100m) the Royal Mile - very friendly and kilt dressed staff able to solve any challenge - rooms very comfortable with all mod cons - funky bathroom with excellent open shower. Dined in restaurant one night and very enjoyable dinner. External laundry service managed to misplace a shirt - however staff were attentitive and managed to locate shirt in following days and then rang to let us know so we could pick up on way back through Edinburgh (alternatively they were going to post back to Australia for us). All in all my partner and I had very enjoyable 2 days - wish we had stayed for a few more days..:) ......Gay friendly establishment.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YodaSydney
Scott W, Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear YodaSydney,
Many thanks for reviewing your stay at Hotel Missoni.
I am very pleased that you found the staff very friendly and able to solve any challenge.
Apologies for briefly misplacing your shirt. I am glad that it was returned to you shortly after.
I hope that you enjoyed your driving tour of Scotland. We hope to see you again soon.
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We loved our second visit to the Missoni on the 01/03/13. The staff were friendly and helpful and it was a very smooth check in. The room was lovely, even though it was a bit more compact than the room we had on our first stay, however we did have a side view of the castle, which more than made up for this (room 405) The cocktail bar is stylish spacious and comfortable and the ladies toilets are blingtastic and immaculate. We look forward to returning to this hotel which is in a great location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian S
Dear Gillian S,
Many thanks for returning to Hotel Missoni, Edinburgh and taking the time to review your stay with us.
I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Ayrshire
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Missoni for two nights for a city break with my mum. From the moment I walked through the door, the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. I loved the decor and atmosphere of the lobby, restaurant and bar and was not disappointed in my room either! Every effort has been made to make your stay as pleasant as possible - comfortable beds, lovely decor, huge windows with (in my room at least!) a great view of Edinburgh. The mini-bar and daily paper were both complimentary and the room also contained a coffee maker and 'real' milk - a nice touch! Wifi was also included and you are provided with access to a personal website during your stay where you can make all sorts of requests - room service, housekeeping, taxi, travel info...you name it, it's all there! You choose the time for your requests to be fulfilled and the hotel confirm once done which is handy when you're out and about.
Breakfast, well - safe to say it was also of a high standard with plenty of choices including a good range of healthy options.
All in all, very satisfied customer! I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a castle view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ayrshire_lass85
Scott W, Manager at G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear ayrshire_lass85,
Thank you very much for writing a review about your recent stay with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and loved the decor and atmosphere of the lobby, restaurant and bar.
I am also very pleased that you found useful the "My Hotel Missoni" app that is available to download via Itunes.
We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Edinburgh.
Renfrewshire
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Visited this Lovely hotel with my daughter as a special treat the only thing that put a damper on it was the attitude of the receptionist.
I booked through a booking company as I don't use credit cards and had fully paid for my stay, the receptionist asked for credit card I explained that used booking company as didn't have one & I felt very intimidated as she said I could not use bar or restaurant even though I had no intention of doing so as we were only using hotel as visiting theatre.
The room was perfect although I was unable to have a coffee as machine was not drawing water, it may have been I was not using properly but because of way receptionist made me feel I didn't feel comfortable phoning for help.
The breakfast staff were totally different as were the doormen being very friendly & efficient and we had a delicious breakfast.
Although beautiful hotel in great location that one member of staff making me feel like a second class citizen would stop me staying again.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank JEMIMA-D
Dear JEMMA-D,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am very pleased that you found Hotel Missoni to be a beautiful hotel in a great location and the restaurant and doormen were very friendly & efficient.
I am very sorry if you were made to feel intimidated by one of our staff members. Certainly this is not the norm as most of our Trip Advisor reviews mention how friendly and curteous our staff is. It is however our company policy to ask when checking in for a credit or debit card just as a guarantee against any extras that you might incur during your stay. This then allows you to be able to charge items like room service etc. to your room for your own convenience.
We certainly hope to welcome you back in the future.
Bucks, UK
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here for one night midweek. Friendly and attentive staff and a rapid check-in. Room wasn't ready until 2pm but they phoned me to let me know when it was available and stored luggage in the meantime. Valet parking worked well but is not cheap (£35) and is best pre-booked as they have limited spaces in their car park. Room (Piccolo) was well laid-out with interesting decor and the free minibar (non-alcoholic) is a nice touch. It was certainly big enough for 2 people for 2-3 nights and was surprisingly quiet, given the location. Bar staff were good - attentive, quick and friendly. I wasn't able to try the restaurant, so can only rate the hotel "very good" rather than "excellent" but this place would be my first choice on a return trip to Edinburgh.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PoolLounger
Dear PoolLounger,
Thank you for reviewing Hotel Missoni, Edinburgh following your stay with us.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you will manage to join us in our award winning Italian restaurant Cucina.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just had the most amazing facial and deep back massage in the Spa at Missoni, Edinburgh. I really enjoyed the whole experience , the staff are so friendly and very professional. My facial included a hand and foot massage, the products they use are fabulous. The back therapy massage was just what my husband needed after a stressful week. We finished off with a perfect coffee in the bar, a lovely Sunday all round.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lesley a
Dear lesley a,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent spa day.
I am so pleased that you had a great time. The fabulous products you mention that we use in our spa are Eve Lom and Natura Bisse.
We look forward to seeing again in the near future.
Glasgow
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

A great couple of nights in this hotel and the staff were great. We had dinner in the restaurant one night which was lovely too...the room was light and airy and had a great shower. The toiletries in the bathroom were not great and to me seemed watery so take your own shampoo and conditioner. Comfy bed and you get a choice of pillows depending on what you like. All in all a great hotel with a good atmosphere in a central location.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LadyG_10
Dear ladyG_10,
Many thanks for your recent review of Hotel Missoni, Edinburgh.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our restaurant Cucina and for your feedback regarding the toiletries in the room. These comments have been passed on to our Housekeeping Manager.
We hope to welcome you back soon.