“A luxurious end to our honeymoon”

G&V Royal Mile Hotel Edinburgh
Ranked #31 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“A luxurious end to our honeymoon”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We decided to spend our honeymoon on the west coast of Scotland, and it rained every day. We had always planned on spending our last night at the Hotel Missoni in Edinburgh and hoped that it would be a treat. It certainly was, we were immediately made to feel welcome and were helped with our bags, instantly making us feel it was a luxury. We stayed in a suite which was lovely, with incredible views over Edinburgh. The rooms were clean and well decorated. Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel, we ordered superb cocktails at the bar and they brought them up to our room for us. The breakfast was delicious with an enormous choice and the service excellent. We left our bags after we checked out, and then realized on our way back that we were running a bit late for our train, so called ahead and they were there waiting for us at the entrance so we could get in a taxi straight away. In general, I can’t fault the service or the quality of this hotel.
I would be more than happy to stay there again, and hope so. Maybe for our 1st anniversary!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

In a suite with great views over the rooftops to Arthur's Seat. Very central and good for walking down to the Traverse for your morning plays. Well lit walk back at night from the Pleasance too. Downside is street noise but the double glazing is very effective. A bit over designed for my taste but clean and new. Breakfast was good with lots of fresh fruit. I like the idea of the mini bar being included in your room rate, even if it's mostly just soft drinks. Helpful staff.

Room Tip: Need to be high up and street facing for views.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This was our second stay at the Missoni and stayed in a suite. The room decor was nice but a little tatty and the larger sofa was grubby. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is centrally located so convenient for walking around Edinburgh. The parking was very expensive as they do not have a car park and have to take the vehicles somewhere else, so we parked ourselves and took a taxi to the hotel. While it's visually appealing, the hotel just seems to be slightly lacking in atmosphere, and does not have the wow factor you sometimes feel in 5 star hotels. Food was added to our bill that we had not ordered, but this was quickly removed when we queried it. It's a nice touch that the mini bar items are free and you get a couple of items of washing free every day. We won't go back but it was an ok experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Just off the royal mile. Luxurious. Great interior design. Loved the bar, the complimentary mini-bar, wifi, the shower room, coffee machine. Staff always keen to help. Rooms not huge but well designed. Some traffic noise as you'd expect in a city centre hotel.

• Stayed September 2011
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 17, 2011

The Missoni Hotel is a place you will want to experience just to see the lobby decor and is a great place to stay in Edinburgh. The location is wonderful, the staff incredibly friendly and helpful and the rooms amazingly decorated in purples, reds, pinks and black and white. You will enjoy a comfortable bed and wonderful bed linnens and towels a la Missoni style. Breakfast is served efficiently so you can eat then start your day's activities. Ask the concierge to get you a private guide to walk the heart of the city. The price is worth it! Enjoy the Missoni and your stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny2586
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 16, 2011

My sis and I stayed at the Hotel Missoni for several days during our stay in lovely Edinburgh, and loved it! The service was impeccable, the decor stunning, the restaurant and lounge very good and very trendy, the location incomparable.

Service-wise, staff were attentive without ever being intrusive, and were quick to make suggestions and accommodations to enhance our over-all experience. For example, one afternoon, we arrived for lunch 5 minutes before the kitchen was scheduled to close. The hostess actually went back to the kitchen to ask if they would stay open longer for us (of course the answer was yes...). Feeling bad about keeping folks past their schedules, however, we opted instead to take afternoon tea in the lounge downstairs and were actually escorted down by the hostess. After placing our order, the server suggested that we might enjoy it more in the courtyard off of the main restaurant since Edinburgh was having a spectacular sunny day, so off we went! He was right. We enjoyed it more there. Being the Hotel Missoni, staff were also beautifully attired - and just plain beautiful. (Shallow comment of the day... Sorry...)

Now, about that decor. Hello! The elevator alone was so beautifully striped that I was inspired to take (stealth) photos of it... I heard much about the aubergine-hued bathrooms, and I was not disappointed! The shower heads were fab, the bathroom floor heated, every detail impeccable. The bedding was perfectly crisp, the bathrobes plush and comfortable, and best of all (because I have an odd thing for free hotel slippers), there were slippers to be had! The contents of the mini-bar were free (crisp-and-wine midnight snack, anyone?), and the toiletries were not of the dinky variety. My one confusion - even though I had not requested it, we were put in a room designed for people with physical disabilities. Please don't get me wrong - the special accommodations were wonderfully designed, something that I truly appreciate as I've made a career serving people with a variety of disabilities. I just felt really guilty that I might be taking the room away from someone who really needed it. Anyway...

The hotel's restaurant and lounge/bar, were very trendy (both the decor and the people) and I was pleased with everything that I was served. The breakfast spread was quite good, and offered a variety of different foods.

This hotel is close to the train station. You could easily walk it if you wished. We were lazy and took a cab which cost about 5 Euros. It is also within walking distance of many of the city's tourist attractions, and despite its location in a fairly busy area, I was never bothered by city noise once I was inside.

I would definitely stay here again should I ever find myself in Edinburgh again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank aslopes
cheshire
Reviewed September 13, 2011

my 2 nd visit to edinburgh and the missoni , a warm welcome and greeting , our room was smaller than last visit and had a bar offering pop ? we had no tea , coffee in room as stock was empty , waited 10 mins at bar for a beer whilst staff chatted , i asked was this normal and was instantly given the manageress who was excellent , forgotten her name but she was from new zealand , nothing was too much she corrected every problem offered me another room etc and was so so so helpful , our stay was excellent , room spotless and a fantastic area/location , we did the ghost tour woooo and loved every second of our stay , thank you missoni , nothing was too much and instead of getting on my keyboard being a warrior i decided to chat and my problems were gone ... again thanks for a brillaint stay . will be back next aug i promise ..oh yes bryan ferry was at the hotel bar .... oh yes 16 of us had evening meal in restaraunt perfect . service excellent ...

Room Tip: ask for upgrade to exec rooms
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family