“Perfect”
Review of York Place B&B

York Place B&B
Ranked #269 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The B&B is a short walk from Waverley station and close to the main shopping street and nightlife around the theatre area. The building is amazing - I was on the top floor at the rear, so away from the main road and with one of the best views you will ever get of Edinburgh. My single room was a good size, perfectly heated on a cold snowy weekend, and stylishly decorated. Strangely, breakfast was not included in my rate, which is funny, being a B&Breakfast!.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed December 5, 2010

I've been there for a few days in June and i enjoyed it a lot. The B&B is run by an very nice italian woman. She very friendly and the good thing: Breakfast-times a very italian, till 10 o'clock.I had a single room right under the roof. The room was fine, the bathroom as well. You just have to carry your bag 3 levels up over a small staircase. But itÄs worth the effort. Location is good. Within a 15 minutes walk you'll in old town, 20 minutes to the castle, and 5 minutes to the Princes Street if you like shopping. This won't be the last time i stayed there.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I stayed here for one night during the Edinburgh festival and found the location very central and convenient, especially as it's so close to Waverley station. It only took 10 minutes to walk there with my suitcase. The manager was very friendly and made me feel very welcome straight away. Unfortunately, my room wasn't ready when I arrived, but they were very happy to let me put my bag in the room and go out again. I found the room very clean and spacious, plenty of room for a single person. The bed was comfortable and the en-suite was clean with a powerful shower. The only downside was I was located on the top floor, so with luggage it's quite an effort, but my host helped to carry my bag. It was also very hot at night and I wanted to leave the window open for some air, but the noise from the traffic and latenight revellers meant that it was too noisy to do so. I do think breakfast should have been included in the price because after all, it is advertised as a b&b. But I had a very reasonably priced breakfast (about £4.50) at the Lloyds bar just down the road. All in all, I had a very pleasant stay and would definately recommend it to friends or stay again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 6, 2010

very unfriendly staff, very small beds, terrible mattrasses, smelly room. nice location though and not expensive.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2010

This was an excellent place to stay when visiting Edinburgh. York Place is quite central and has a great comedy club (The Stand) at one end and a good pub (The Conan Doyle) at the other then a short walk to Princes Street. The B&B is brilliant, really comfortable and clean with a very friendly welcome. I had a front room and was a little concerned about noise from roadworks but the double glazing and heavy curtains made for a good nights sleep. The room was toasty warm and the bathroom had a proper bath sheet not one of those flannel sized towels you normally get! Breakfast was very generous with a buffet of toast, cereal, juice, fruit followed by a cooked breakfast and great coffee! I think the lady running the place s called Irenia and she was fantastic, very friendly yet low key (I.e. not hanging around making small talk - great!) She also didn't hassle us to leave exactly on time and asked if we'd like to leave our luggage on the last day so we could have more time to explore. I think standard rates are quite high but we were lucky to find a good rate and it was worth every penny. I couldn't recommend this highly enough. My only minimal crticisms are there is no sign outside so a bit worrying at first (thought I'd been ripped off online for a sec!) and there are a lot of stairs if on top floor! Fabulous fabulous stay though - thanks Irenia!

• Stayed: January 2010
3  Thank SMartin1
Reviewed November 1, 2009

The rooms are very large & well furnished, & the staff is very friendly. The breakfast is excellent. The location, right between New Town and the city centre, is amazing -- you can walk to most places in central Edinburgh from here. And New Town itself is beautiful & well worth exploring. A top choice for a b&b in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Very nice B&B in the heart of Edinburgh. The location is hard to beat: in the New Town, close to Waverley station and easy access to any part of town. The staff is incredibly nice and helpful. Breakfast is nice, and you can even have cooked breakfast. My single room was quite big with an amazing view of the north of the city and the Firth of Forth. The bathroom was small but adequate (beware, some rooms are not en-suite). Only minus side for me: I could not receive the wifi signal in my room on the top floor. Some people might also find it useful to know that there isn't a lift, but the manager kindly to carried my luggage.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo