“Excellent afternoon tea”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Palm Court is an Edinburgh institution that's as glittering as its glass dome and Venetian chandelier. Sip vintage champagne or sample our award-winning Afternoon Tea with a wide selection of loose leaf teas, coffee, classic and contemporary sandwiches and savouries, pastries and sweet treats. A harpist provides the perfect accompaniment. Palm Court Opening Times: Monday to Thursday 8am to 7pm Friday 8am to 8pm Saturday 8am to 9pm Sunday 9am to 7pm Afternoon Tea: £40
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Took my fiancé to the Palm Court for afternoon tea on Good Friday before a trip to Oban.

As always, wonderful service and a delicious afternoon tea (the macaroon and scones were particularly excellent). It's one of the few afternoon tea venues in Edinburgh that feel like a special experience and something a little out of the ordinary.

Quite expensive, but you know what you're getting yourself into before you go...

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I treated my friend to afternoon tea for her Birthday last month (feb '13). We had the most amazing experience. The menu has two full pages of teas around the world! We were happily surprised you can try the different types of teas plus refills with no extra charge. After you were served the tea, a lovely cake stand was placed on the table filled with a selection of cakes, scones, and finger sandwiches. My friend and I aren't too keen on smoked salmon so asked whether we could have an extra ham sandwich instead... it didn't seem to be a problem and the waitress was happy to change that for us. Afterwards, we were presented with dessert trolley, where you could choose from an array of chocolate cake, macaroons, Turkish delight,etc just to name a few ... The chocolate cake was very scrummy and moist !!!

But what definitely made our afternoon tea experience were the staff and their service... you really couldn't of ask for more!The lady who served us made sure our teas were always topped up and checked on us regularly to see if we needed anything. It doesn't matter how good the food is, if the staff aren't friendly or polite, you don't feel relaxed. We definitely felt very at ease as we stayed for over two hours and at no point did we feel we overstayed our welcome.

The only thing I would like to highlight is the location of our table, we were seated at the rear of the room next to the cabinet with the teacups. We had to be quite careful when we wanted to stand up. There were a couple of times where I thought I might of knocked the cups over because we were close to the cabinet.

Overall... amazing day and definitely worth every penny ! Highly recommend!!!

Christine

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I treated my Fiancé to Champagne afternoon tea for his 50th birthday & we weren't disappointed. The service is 1st class. Friendly, discreet, respectful, polite, knowledgeable. The quality of the afternoon tea sandwiches, scones, cakes & pastries was outstanding, not to mention the Bollinger Champagne! It came chilled & was poured beautifully - excellent. Dietary requirements were catered for without a problem.
The Bollinger Bar/Palm Court has fabulous Georgian architecture, beautiful furniture & fittings. It really is stunning. Beautiful fresh flowers in the hotel lobby aswell as on the tables.
We cannot recommend this place highly enough. Yes, it's expensive, but worth it. We felt like a king & queen for the afternoon. Fabulous!
Booking highly recommended!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We visited a couple of weeks ago for a celebration having found an excellent offer in I-on magazine and had afternoon tea with a bottle of champagne. We were offered a choice of sandwich from the menu or a standard afternoon tea stand with a selection of finger sandwiches and cakes/scones as well as a choice from the trolley. We opted for the stand which was adequate for 2 but we found it to be a little "cake heavy" as we would personnally have preferred more sandwiches, with hindsight a sandwich choice from the menu may have suited us better. The scones were offerred with clotted cream and a choice of jams and were fabulous!
Our server was lovely and very helpful in explaining what each item on the stand was and made sure our glasses remained filled.
The atmosphere was peaceful and other diners seemed relaxed. There is a harpist playing for the duration of the visit, who entertained requests, playing "happy birthday" for one table.
As we were leaving, the manager checked in on us and seemed genuinely happy that we had enjoyed our visit.
Worth a visit for the bucket list if you can get a good deal.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

How decadent .... Champagne afternoon tea at Palm Court within the Balmoral.

The atmosphere is just lovely and to add to the ambience there is someone playing the harp which is beautiful.

This was an afternoon treat which my friend and I shared. We had the champagne afternoon tea. It was a horrible day outside so this was the perfect way to spend the afternoon The menu is presented to you to choose your drink, there is a huge selection of teas, infusion and coffees. We both opted for the Edinburgh tea which is served in a silver pot. We ordered coffee later and were surprised not to be charged extra for this. You can have as much tea and coffee as you wish.

The cake stand is full of goodies, lovely dainty sandwiches, small cakes, shortbread and some crisps. Then when you are ready the scones both fruit and plain are served warm with clotted cream, jam and so on. We were then surprised when they came around with a trolley with even more goodies, chocolate cake, fruit cake and other little treats. We were so full that we could not finish everything and this was beautifully wrapped in a little box for us to take home.

The service was lovely, professional, personal and efficient. I would highly recommend this as an afternoon treat and I will make this a regular date in my diary. Loved the experience.

balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Palm Court at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a generous review following your recent visit for afternoon tea with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the occasion and that you were impressed with the array of sandwiches, scones and cakes, as well as the service you encountered from my colleagues.

I am also pleased to learn that you intend to make this a regular experience and we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely