“Gin Tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of 56 North

56 North
Ranked #272 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Edinburgh's original Gin Bar and Restaurant. Specialising in gin with around 200 varieties on offer with extensive drinks menu and cocktails. Food is served all day and is homemade by the award winning team under Robert Brown. Burgers, salads, classic mains along with contemporary items make up a seasonally changing menu. The venue is bright and airy with large windows which open onto one of Edinburgh's largest outdoor terrace dinning areas during summer. Located in the old town, 56 North is also in the heart of the Edinburgh Fringe and has an unrivalled location for Fringe visitors.
Perth, United Kingdom
“Gin Tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I booked a gin tasting session for my dad and i as a Christmas gift which we used at the weekend (Sunday). There were about 20 people in the class in total, a real mix of ages. The format was great - you sampled four traditional gins then had a break for sandwiches and cakes followed by four slightly more exotic gins. James, who took the class, was very knowledgeable and encouraged questions and interaction within the group. Once the class was finished we stayed and sampled a few more of the 100 gins available. The bar service was excellent and the barman happy to recommend drinks based on your personal preference. We didn't have food but what i saw looked lovely and reasonable priced for Edinburgh. I'll be back, and not just for the gin!

Tip - for anyone who likes something different try Hoxton Gin.

• Visited February 2014

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Staff, including "chef", have no idea about vegetarian/vegan food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

I went there for my work xmas lunch, having confirmed with manager 4 weeks beforehand that they will serve me a vegan option. I was served the tiniest stuffed peppers I've seen in my life and they contained goats cheese and parmesan pesto. The manager was apologetic and I received complementary drinks while I was waiting for my food (when the rest of my work mates were already eating theirs), but when it arrived it was served with yoghurt! The waitress, the manager and the "chef" were all convinced that yoghurt is plant-based! So I had to send it back again. When i finally got my vegan meal it was tiny 2 halves of pepper stuffed with couscous and there was a tiny bit of asparagus on top. There was no side salad, no dressing, no taste really, dry and sad.
I have sent my complaint but the reply I received said "Thank you for all the information. I will pass it on." That's all.
The staff are not educated about food/ dietary requirements and believe that vegetarians don't like food and are on a diet. Absolutely appalled.

• Visited December 2013
“Friendly and relaxed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Went for Saturday lunch, as a couple, with a voucher. Both had the tower burger with fries plus a bottle of beer and a cocktail. All very nice and in a cosy, comfortable booth. Greeted and served by Neil, who was very friendly and welcoming. The burgers were tasty, the fries very fresh and the service warm. Probably go back to try other items on the interesting looking menu and extensive range of drinks, especially the gins!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Egon_Rosie
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wont be back anytime soon”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Cocktails were lovely, huge drinks list. Great atmosphere, relaxing music. Shame about the blonde girl that works there (the main one). She cant even crack at smile, had a face like a slapped bottom. She knows who she is. Ruined the evening!!

4 Thank missdaiz8
Livingston, United Kingdom
“This place has gone so far downhill it may as well be on Princes Street”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Have visited this place a good few times over the years, and always at least come away satisfied, until now.

Having recommended 56 for the works Christmas night out, I was really disappointed with what we got.

Poor food...the flatbread was a car crash of tangy leaves and over dressing.

Even the cocktails (which are the reason I have always returned to 56) were bad. I had a daiquiri which was the single worst drink I have had in my life - it was room temperature at best, and was undrinkable.

Service was really awful, slow, forgetful, not attentive, I could go on.

Absolute waste of a place.

1 Thank Paula_8181