“Lovely stay”

Martin's Guest House
Ranked #86 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at Martin's Guest House with a work colleague for one night. We were running late after being at meeting all day so I called ahead to advise of this and Denise told me where she would leave the keys if she wasn't there, which we completely apreciated.

The interior decor really suites the building and my room was clean and tidy, the bathroom in my room is as big as the one in my own home (great), I had a pretty good nights sleep.

You can choose your breakfast and the time you require it the night before, which I think is a good idea.

I will definitely stay here again when I am back in Edinburgh.

Many thanks Donna.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Martin's Guest House

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Stayed here due to working in the local area, On first impressions Hotel looked nice and clean, and Staff very friendly. i was escorted to my room ( up in the gods) by the owner, it was clean but perhaps a bit dated, the onsuite showerroom was small to say the least and a daily wait of about 5 minutes for the hot water to arrive at the tap end. Breakfast the first morning was great ( again the owner was on hand and cooking ) i asked for poached eggs, and they were great, although the next two mornings the owner i guess was off, as my poached eggs turned up as fried eggs on brown toast....
overall a nice B&B with a great location but could be better in certain areas

Room Tip: avoid Room 6 if more than one person
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy298
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've just spent four great days in Edinburgh which were made even better by my accomadation at Martin's Guest House. I can't praise this establishment enough. it was my third visit and it's just like going home. The house is warm and the staff couldn't be more welcoming, there are five choices for breakfast all made as and when required and served by staff who are always smiling. The establishment is on direct bus routes with stops coming and going only two minutes away. To Denise, Steve and Carlo and cleaning staff I didn't see thank you for making a single traveller to feel wanted and respected. I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: It's at top of house but room 8 is my favourite and room 5 has great view over roof tops looking...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed at Martins guest house whilst visiting Edinburgh for new year and could not fault it ! Was greeted by the friendly manager who showed me my room and provided me with lots of useful information as this was my first visit to Edinburgh . The atmosphere was welcoming friendly and helpful .
The room was decorated beautifully, with gorgeous curtains and cushions ! clean and very comfortable . Had a great nights sleep!
All the facililites were brilliant Aswell!

Another aspect which was great for me was the location . Very close to the centre and excellent bus service right outside which makes things so easy .
The breakfast was another plus as there are a wide range of options all freshly cooked and delicious ! A good start to the day !

Overall i feel this guesthouse is gorgeous from the outside and inside . Very comfortable . Great location and breakfast and all the staff go out there way to provide information and make the stay as comfortable as possible

I had a brilliant stay here for the new year!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a warm Scottish welcome to their stay in Edinburgh. A clean fresh room with a great scottish breakfast. Very knowledgable with the what's on in Edinburgh guide. A very relaxed environment that made me felt that a was within my own abode back in South Africa. I have already recommended this accommodation to my fellow antipodeans who are visiting Edinburgh within the next two months. Keep up the great work and I will see you again in the coming future. Slainte

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2013

WOW.... what a fabulous wee find i had the pleasure of spending New Year in Edinburgh and staying at Martins Guesthouse which catered to all my needs the manager went out his way to exceed all expectations, he even managed to get me hair strainers on the 31st as i had forgotten my own!! Our rooms (5 and 9) were absolutely great - very clean and modern. The breakfast was great and the service second to none.
A true little gem i will definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 5 views are amazing over the whole city.......
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank susan m
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed at St Martins over New Year 2012. The overall trip was spolt by our stay at St Martins. There was no-one to greet us when we arrived and we were not shown to our room. We were advised that the TV was 'broken' which was disappointing for a room that cost £150 per night.

The room itself was grubby and the bathroom had clearly not been cleaned. The hose on the shower was also broken. Both the TV and shower hose issues were rectified following complaint to the Manager (who was quite rude) however given the cost of the accommodation I would have expected these issues to have been resolved before we arrived.

The breakfast was awful. On New Years Day we were advised that the usual standard breakfast would not be available but we could have a bacon sandwich.

The only thing I would recommend, is not paying good money to stay in what I would liken to a hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple