“A wee gem in Edinburgh”

Martin's Guest House
Ranked #77 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I've just spent four great days in Edinburgh which were made even better by my accomadation at Martin's Guest House. I can't praise this establishment enough. it was my third visit and it's just like going home. The house is warm and the staff couldn't be more welcoming, there are five choices for breakfast all made as and when required and served by staff who are always smiling. The establishment is on direct bus routes with stops coming and going only two minutes away. To Denise, Steve and Carlo and cleaning staff I didn't see thank you for making a single traveller to feel wanted and respected. I'll be back soon.

Room Tip: It's at top of house but room 8 is my favourite and room 5 has great view over roof tops looking...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed at Martins guest house whilst visiting Edinburgh for new year and could not fault it ! Was greeted by the friendly manager who showed me my room and provided me with lots of useful information as this was my first visit to Edinburgh . The atmosphere was welcoming friendly and helpful .
The room was decorated beautifully, with gorgeous curtains and cushions ! clean and very comfortable . Had a great nights sleep!
All the facililites were brilliant Aswell!

Another aspect which was great for me was the location . Very close to the centre and excellent bus service right outside which makes things so easy .
The breakfast was another plus as there are a wide range of options all freshly cooked and delicious ! A good start to the day !

Overall i feel this guesthouse is gorgeous from the outside and inside . Very comfortable . Great location and breakfast and all the staff go out there way to provide information and make the stay as comfortable as possible

I had a brilliant stay here for the new year!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a warm Scottish welcome to their stay in Edinburgh. A clean fresh room with a great scottish breakfast. Very knowledgable with the what's on in Edinburgh guide. A very relaxed environment that made me felt that a was within my own abode back in South Africa. I have already recommended this accommodation to my fellow antipodeans who are visiting Edinburgh within the next two months. Keep up the great work and I will see you again in the coming future. Slainte

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2013

WOW.... what a fabulous wee find i had the pleasure of spending New Year in Edinburgh and staying at Martins Guesthouse which catered to all my needs the manager went out his way to exceed all expectations, he even managed to get me hair strainers on the 31st as i had forgotten my own!! Our rooms (5 and 9) were absolutely great - very clean and modern. The breakfast was great and the service second to none.
A true little gem i will definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 5 views are amazing over the whole city.......
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank susan m
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed at St Martins over New Year 2012. The overall trip was spolt by our stay at St Martins. There was no-one to greet us when we arrived and we were not shown to our room. We were advised that the TV was 'broken' which was disappointing for a room that cost £150 per night.

The room itself was grubby and the bathroom had clearly not been cleaned. The hose on the shower was also broken. Both the TV and shower hose issues were rectified following complaint to the Manager (who was quite rude) however given the cost of the accommodation I would have expected these issues to have been resolved before we arrived.

The breakfast was awful. On New Years Day we were advised that the usual standard breakfast would not be available but we could have a bacon sandwich.

The only thing I would recommend, is not paying good money to stay in what I would liken to a hostel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Catherine B
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had a meeting in Roddinglaw, and Martins Guest House was one of the better recommended places to stay.

It had its good points and not so good points.

Easy to find, with its own car park, although this is a TIGHT squeeze to get your car in!

The owner wasn't in, so I was welcomed by a young guy, and shown to my ( smallish ) room on the top floor. Having read some of the reviews I'd expected a larger room, the double room I had was about 30% smaller than an average hotel room and the shower / toilet is best described as "cosy"!! Added to this slight disappointment, the heating was absolutely abysmal and the room had a definite chill to it ( it was freezing outside! ).

I went downstairs to enquire about the heating..... and the young guy brought a convector heater to my room, which in all fairness, did the job.

On the upside, the room was VERY clean and well cared for, absolutely no worries there, it was spotless.

It was quiet enough, apart from 2 or 3 blokes whose mate was obviously on the same floor as me, and who apprently were incapable of talking at less than 100 decibels or closing doors quietly. All was quiet by about 11p.m. so no real issue.

Breakfast was pleasant enough, although having to leave a leaflet in the dining room the night before ticking what I wanted for breakfast is odd. The staff at breakfast were pretty much non existent, leaving me to work out what was where etc..... first time I saw the lady on brekkie duty was when she came in with my breakfast!

So, definitely a few idiosyncrosies at Martins ( I never yet saw the owner.......... ) and as yet I'm still waiting for the recepit for my stay to bang in my expenses!! :-)

Would I stay again? On balance, Yes. A few things amiss at Martins, but it's immaculately clean and cared for, very good breakfast . I maybe hit them on a poor day judging by some of the reviews, and I did chat with a guy who stays there often, and enjoys it.

I'd certainly give it another go next time I'm in that area, hopefully they'll have ironed out the few weaknesses.

Room Tip: Try to avoid staying on the 2nd Floor.... it's an old style terrace house, ( a very nice one to...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MikeC-R23
Reviewed December 2, 2012

What a thoroughly enjoyable experience my stay at Martins Guest House was. I found this gem when I was looking for an affordable B and B in Edinburgh well it was my lucky day, thoughtfull and considerate staff lovely rooms immaculate accommodation and very good breakfast choices. The owners Denise and Steven were very knowledgable of all places to visit making recommendations to suit my taste and ensuring I had everything I needed and even helped me when I got in trouble with my outdated mobile phone! totally reccommend Martins Guest House I will deffinately be back, value for money and so much more

Room Tip: My room was to the front and it was very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo