“Very disappointing!”

Ranked #1,625 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: French, International
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: The Garden Room restaurant in the heart of Edinburgh at the fabulous Royal Terrace Hotel is an intimate, relaxed dining space with views onto the hotel’s gardens. A ten minute walk from the city centre and with easy access to Waverley Station, The Garden Room is a superb spot for romantic or business dining then making a quick getaway. But you’ll want to linger in this lovely space decorated in tones of sage, nutmeg and other neutrals, wood flooring and tables, designer dishes all in sleek modern style. The freshest local produce is employed in the creation of eclectic modern cooking. The professional service and big-league wine list seal the deal.
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Booked pre-theatre menu for me and the girlfriends visit to see the opening night of the Lion King. Was told on the phone that it was a Lion King themed menu which, according to the waiter at the end of the meal, had been moved back to the next evening.

Both ordered pate to start which was disgustingly rubber like with no flavour. Main was disappointing and didnt seem to be what was described in the menu. Service wasnt very good and we both left feeling a bit let down.

Didnt go for the 3 courses as we had run out of time, service was rather slow for a pre-theatre menu.

Needless to say, we wont be returning!

• Visited October 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Won't be back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Service was quick but very robotic. Our server seemed very forced and un-natural. Food was hit and miss. My wife's chicken was good, but my fish & chips was terrible. Fish was tasteless, batter soggy and oily, pub style chopped salad and I didn't expect frozen chips! Poor value (even at their pre-theater prices).

• Visited December 2012
Portadown, United Kingdom
“lovely food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

lovely food nothing to dislike excellent liked everything about it great service and lovely food, had a 3 course a la carte meal, thelamb was lovely and the desert(chocolate and berry cake mmmm

Visited October 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Slow service!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

I must agree with jdoh28 - the maitre'd is great, very professional and helpful.
However, when it takes one hour and twenty minutes to eat a three course meal in an empty restaurant without having coffee, especially when you request a speedy service, so you can attend an event. It makes you mad that this restaurant was so slow, that it made me late for our event? We opted for the £25 3 course set meal and ordered all 3 courses at the same time using our tastecard. This didn't speed up service as our meal still took ages to arrive, the soup was lovely, but I was extremely disappointed with the two rib eye steaks ordered, considering I paid a £5.50 supplement for them. The steaks should have melted in our mouths, so why did we have to chomp on them, regurgitate and leave on the edge of the plate. However, the veg with the steaks were delicious and the deserts were quite nice. My wife had previously eaten steak here, which was delicious but the steak quality was very poor on this occassion! Considering we were in this restaurant on our own on a Monday night, the service was disgracefully slow and I guess that is why the restaurant was empty. If I wasn't late for my event, I would have complained - very angry at service and quality of steak!

• Visited May 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fab food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Wonderful food, great, attentive service .... go for the shin of beef if it's on the menu and the moules mariniere!! Andy, the maitre'd is great!!

Visited February 2012