“Good food but...”

Le Monde Restaurant
Ranked #528 of 2,449 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Bar, British, Scottish, European
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Drinks, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Le Monde is one of Edinburgh's premier boutique hotels with a Scottish Hotel Design Award under its belt, and Paris bar and restaurant is an opulent place for cappuccinos, champagne and decadent meals. Open for brunch, lunch, dinner and light snacks, the restaurant has a traditional salon style interior with a burlesque twist, and hipsters and gourmands alike love the polished wooden floors, potted palms and moody red lighting. Perfect for cocktail parties, working lunches and late-night liaisons, Paris has a fresh seasonal modern European menu and favourites include the chateaubriand for two marinated in spices and served with thick chips and Bearnaise sauce; and the vanilla poached pears with a chilli ginger syrup and plum sorbet.
Armadale, United Kingdom
“Good food but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We took our friends out for a celebration mean. It was recommended to us by someone else who works in the hospitality industry so we took it as high praise. And, it was, up to a point.

On arrival you have to go through a bar area full of annoying pretentious idiots. This didn't endear us to the place. Then you enter into the restaurant area (which was not signed, unlike the cocktail bar upstairs, so we were a bit confused about where we should be going, or even if we were in the right place). Once in the restaurant area there was no obvious area to wait to be seated, so we just wandered through looking for someone to speak to about our reservation. We got almost to the back of the restaurant before finding someone to speak to. This is not welcoming at all.

Once we were seated the services was prompt and almost efficient. One or two things had to be corrected and sent back, but then the music was a bit loud, and all the waiting staff were wearing earpieces in one ear. This is fine if you are a bouncer, but I've got no idea why a waitress needs that! It was most distracting.

The food was good quality and we all enjoyed our meals. Although I though that some items were perhaps a little over priced for what they were. I guess you are paying for the décor... I wish they'd spend more on thinking about the functional aspects of how to greet arriving diners.

Finally, when the bill arrived and we paid by credit card the machine did not have a section for adding a gratuity. I've been getting used to putting the gratuity in with the card payment. It is unbelievable that this is not available. I can understand it in a small family run business, but this is attached to a high class hotel. Because of this the only tip I ended up giving was the change in my pocket. The staff did deserve more, but, again - not enough though has been given to some of the processes and that is a management issue.

Had we not been in a joyous mood to begin with I would have perhaps only given a score of 3, but the issues did not distract us too much from our celebration.

Aberdeen
“Lovely venue, could do more with the dining side of things”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Visited here for birthday meal with my partner on a saturday night, we arrived at 7.30 and were quickly shown to our table. Slight 'sandine' feel to how close the tables for 2 were packed together and didnt leave much room for passing between to go to the toilet etc - I am not by any means a large person.

We were suprised at how reasonably priced the menu was, and the options seemed appealing. However there is no romanic feel to it, its quite informal & you are very much aware you are in a busting bar. I would have thought that they would have had a more secluded seperate restaurant than just having small tables in the 'body of the kirk' so to speak.

The food was really nice & couldnt really complain. The waitress was very attentive & pleasant, no attitude or anything off puting like that. We had several cocktails & drinks which probably bumped out bill up at £7.50 a pop.

As this is a bar / club there were obviously doorstaff but they were welcoming & nice humored which was refreshing as opposed to the usual grumpy, suspicious, intimidating vibe they tend to give. I love le monde as a venue & would recommend it moreso for lunch & friendly gatherings, probably not so much for a romantic meal for two.

Musselburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Lunch with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

I recently met two former colleagues for lunch at Le Monde in George Street, Edinburgh. The restaurant was well set out and we had a circular table in a booth so we could chat without too much noise interrupting us from elsewhere in the restaurant. Staff were attentive, but not overbearing and the food had lovely textures and looked good on the plate. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others and will certainly visit it again. I only had one course as it filled me up and had some decaf coffee after I had eaten. As I do not drink alcohol, I cannot comment on their wines or other alcoholic drinks, but the others dining with me had a couple of drinks, both of which looked lovely, particularly the prosecco.

Peak District
“A shame about the ambience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Called in on spec on a windy April Sunday night. Very smart decor and friendly staff. However, we had to be re-seated at the rear of the restaurant due to a member of staff proceeding to rearrange apparently every item of crockery kept behind the bar on the granite counter with some force, producing an ear-splitting din within a few feet of our table. We started our excellent meal and looked forward to a pleasant evening - which was then sadly ruined by a group of loud-mouthed young men who sat a little distance away and proceeded to talk loudly and obnoxiously whilst drinking what was evidently not their first of the day. We should have been forewarned by the flat-screen TVs lavishly distributed throughout... Given the price of the food and the high-class interior, it is a great shame that the staff are not better trained in their duties and that they were woefully ignorant of how to deal with noisy customers. In any event, why have drinking areas in the middle of a restaurant when you have a bar lounge at the entrance? The food was excellent but I would not recommend this hotel for a good dining experience. Shame.

• Visited April 2013
“Noisy staff and foul-mouthed clientele”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We dropped in on Sunday night as the menu looked tasty. Once seated, and whilst we waited for our drinks to arrive, one of the bar staff started emptying the shelf below the bar top of it's contents of crockery. One by one he clattered around 20 cups and saucers onto the marble worktop, then not satisfied with that cacophony he proceeded to unload a significant number of teapots and rattling lids onto the hard stone worktop.

The noise at the table, some 15 feet away, was ear splitting and intrusive.

Our waitress offered to relocate us to the back of the restaurant away from the bar, which we accepted. We then started a pleasant meal in the company of other quiet-speaking diners.

Within 10 minutes however, a group of youths arrived at the nearby drinking tables in front of the sports TV screens, and sat mouthing off in loud voices, f'ing and blinding continually for half an hour, completely ignored by staff.

The food was excellent, but the staff noise and uncouth sh**heads spoiled the whole experience, so it really wasn't worth the premium charged for the food. What should have been an excellent dining experience was close to abysmal.

Le Monde:

1) Train your staff to behave in a civilised way with due regard to your customers' dining experience.
2) Train your staff to eject or dampen swearing loud-mouth youths.
3) Decide whether you are trying to provide a drunken idiots sports TV bar or an up-market dining experience - it CAN NOT be both.