Tripadvisor

from $14.88
from $41.32
from $15.43
23,373 results
All reviews free walking tour dark side australian david great tour old town castle tour sandemans tours interesting stories harry potter hour tour highly recommend this tour three hours story telling informative tour scottish history royal mile jen
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We chose this tour because it was a history tour, which our guide Edgar also mentioned several times. If you want ghost stories pick another tour or read some fantasy novel, cause this one is really about the people who lived (or more likely died) there. The walking was not hard, but if you want to go in the middle of the winter like we did, make sure you have several layers of warm clothes on you. The stories were really interesting, and what i really liked about them was all the detailed background explanation behind them. We not only got a story , but Edgar always added the lifestyle information, political background, common practices of that particular time period which helped us put the puzzle pieces together. I wish my high school history lessons had the same structure and Edgar as a teacher a few years ago.
So the positive things are the humor, the knowledge , and the interactive atmosphere.
The negative ones are a bit subjective. My friend felt that for her the talking speed was a little bit fast to understand everything, but I didn’t have a problem with that (btw both of us are hungarian). The other one is the time frame which suppose to be 2 hours, but it was a bit longer for us. Edgar was absolutely correct to ask us if we have a tight schedule or we can stay a few more minutes. So it wasn’t a problem for us, but actually I would prefer a longer tour where the guide doesn’t have to hurry , and everybody knows that it will be a longer tour, so they can prepare for that. Also I felt that there is plenty more fantastic stuff we hadn’t heard yet.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Authentic and original walk ! We loved to discover the city like this it was creepy and very interesting to know this part of mystery !

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A funny, incredibly well-informed and entertaining tour. Fiona was excellent, and provided a wonderful overview of Edinburgh.

Date of experience: December 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We've done the tour with our guide Edgar! Except for the cold the tour has been amazing. Edgar was very funny and competent and had his way to entertain the crowd with unpolitically correct jokes about different nationalities (jokes related to the stories he was telling us). I've to say i was surprised of his way to involve everyone (approx 20 people) which I don't think it's easy to do. Lovely tour, very educational, it's nice history and stories with a bit of irony. Italy (as he has been calling me for the whole tour) highly recommends this tour!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I took the free walking tour on the first day I arrived to Edinburgh, wanting to orientate myself with the city. What I got was so much more. Our guide, Eva, was extremely knowledgeable. She shared fascinating history, in an entertaining and humorous storytelling style, and gave some great tips for the rest of my visit. I hadn't taken a "free" tour before and really liked the style - I hope Eva and her teammates are duly recognised by travellers.

Date of experience: December 2019