“Great walking tour in Edinburgh” 5 of 5 bubbles

Edinburgh Darkside Walking Tour: Mysteries, Murder and Legends
Ranked #1 of 211 Nightlife in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Tours leave at 11am and 2pm everyday from the Royal Mile near the Tron Kirk. For information about additional summer times and other tours please visit our website using the link above.Connecting great guides with smart travelers, we believe in supporting our local communities and are committed to giving a voice to self-employed guides who have chosen Edinburgh as their home. By ensuring that every guide represents our unique style of mixing history and story-telling while maintaining their own personality and flair, we've become one of the most popular tour companies in the world. Helping superb independent guides connect with thousands of travelers a day, we provide these local freelancers the possibility to inform and entertain you, and they employ us to spread the news about this great concept.
Munich, Germany
“Great walking tour in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

It was the first time that I did one of these free walking tours. I had a GREAT time! Billy, our tour guide was dynamic, fun, explained everything really well - and also did not let us stand in the cold for too long (and it was cold...!)
He covered really well most of the old town area, with nice history and stories about the city.
And the Scottish accent was not a problem at all!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“It was really really good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We found out about the free tour on our last day in Edinburgh, so we decided to take a chance. The Tour guide - Billy - was extremelly expressive and charismatic. we loved how he told the stories about the city. Every detail was told with passion and enthusiasm! the tour is suitable for all ages and the fact that there was 'no plan', like we could go anywhere in the city, makes the tour dynamic. We'll for sure look for this company and these free tour in other cities. For us, getting to know the place by walking around it, is the best way to get familiar with the city.

Madrid, Spain
“Free Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I enjoyed this free tour of Edinburgh last September with my parents and some friends. The tour guide, called Jordi, was very nice and it was so funny. I did it again in December with my partner. The tour guide, called Oier, was very sympathetic and we learnt a lot about the city.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Favorite part of my vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Unfortunately, we were only in Edinburgh for three days, or I would have taken advantage of more of these tours. The tour was incredible, fun, engaging, and informative. Our tour guide was dynamic and shared historical stories, as well as legends. Seriously amazing, must do!

Vancouver, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Worth every penny... oh wait...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is the pay-what-you-want walking tour - I had seen these offered before but with what I felt were limited hours in other towns I had been in, I hadn't gone on one til now. I guess it is sort of luck of the draw who your guide is, but at the end of the day, if these guys aren't working hard, they aren't getting paid, so perhaps they are just extra motivated to be awesome.
Either way, I don't think you can shoehorn that kind of enthusiasm and affable-ness into a person - our guide Ben was an absolute joy. Properly Scottish through and through, he had many yarns to spin, gripes about how inaccurate Braveheart is, suggestions for furthering our Scottish experience, and loads of good cheer and chitchat for everyone on the large group. I took this tour about one hour after I arrived in Edinburgh and it was a great way to get a good cross section of the old town history, get your bearings, and get some ideas for further adventures in the city. To boot, when you go on a tour with them, you get discounts at a couple associated pubs.

As luck would have it, they were in the process of launching a new whisky tasting tour that week as well - it was a paid tour but we could sign up for it at a significant discount in exchange for giving them some feedback on how the tour was run. That tour could use a bit of work but is also pretty cool - they have some other tours too. Castle tours and haunted tours - lots to keep you busy. But definitely recommend this free walking tour. We interacted with other guides at the start of the tour, and of course you see them leading their groups all over town every day and it looks like for the most part, this contingent is pretty well-stocked with killer guides. But... our guide was amazing!

Visited November 2013