“Valentines night dinner”

The McKirdy's Steakhouse
Ranked #196 of 2,572 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I booked this restaurant for our first valentines dinner as a married couple.It was such a let down.
The tables are tiny, some scattered lovehearts on the table and a red candle were the only touch for valentines day-but our waitress never even lit the candle!
We ordered steak of course, mines was "rib eye". It was so thin it was like frying steak and pretty tasteless.The chips were of the frozen variety and were only just cooked and pale, very un attractive.
The "salad " consisted of a small drop of leaves 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 slices of onion.
Now this is a restaurant and not cheap but I have had better dinner in a pub..The staff were pleasant but only 2 on.

5  Thank tiddles50

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Went for the second time tonight and was thoroughly impressed again. Had the mixed grill and it was the best I've ever eaten. I'm not a fan of meat on the bone so the lovely waiter asked the chef to take the lamb off the bone. The service was great. It's not cheap but worth every penny. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Poor quality food in dingy surroundings. Rack of pork turned out to be spare ribs. Corn on the cob, no butter. Can't describe "mash" Pricey wine, not bad.

5  Thank BuckleeSalop1
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Have been here a few times. My husband and I like our steaks cooked differently, but both came out exactly the same time and perfectly cooked. I like mine rare, and sometimes this can be cold in the middle of not done right, but this was perfect. Rare in the middle but warm all the way through. BYOB as well.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

amazin steak. best we have ever tasted. Only small criticism would be as you walked in there was a curtain behind the door which lowered the tone a little. Would still highly reccomend